Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unichip piggyback fitted on my 3.0L stroker....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unichip piggyback fitted on my 3.0L stroker....

Well I just spent 6 hours in a very hot workshop getting 2 dynos.......one before Unichip piggyback and one after it was fitted.

To refresh everyones memories I have basically the same setup as Dave Adam's well known cab, except I don't have an extrude honed intake manifold, but do have a forged Cosworth crank, Alpina chip & no cat....pretty much everything else is the same. Some of the list includes.........Schrick 272/272 cam, M30 AFM, big bore TB, larger injectors, headers, RD exhaust, Alpina B3 2.7L chip.

The car as tested was in 90F weather but with a big fan blowing into the front of the car......and with 16" RD rims and 225/40-16 tires (rim & tire size seem to have a large impact).

The before results were not satisfactory and I will be looking into the cam setting & a few other spots (any ideas welcomed), but this dyno was really to see how much the dyno tuned Unichip piggyback could maximize the mods. I'm quite happy with the gains from the Unichip, but much work needs to be done to figure out the cause of such low numbers before the piggyback was fitted & tuned.

Details of the Unichip piggyback can be found at http://www.dastek.co.za/

EDIT: Just added the foot-pounds calculation to the RWTQ numbers since they were in Newton Meters.

RWHP.......Run 1 was before & Run 2 was after

RWTQ......Run 1 was before & Run 2 was after

Very satisfying numbers Chris! those unichips amaze me!
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

thats still with the stock AFM?
      BEERTECH

Comment

Damn, I wish I had numbers even close to that. :D

eta

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          thats still with the stock AFM?
          he says M30 AFM in his post Rob :)
          My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

:drink: duh, woops.

I really meant 'does it still have an AFM'
            BEERTECH

Comment

Some great numbers after tuning it.

Comment

Very good gains! Can you do a MAF conversion with the Unichip like you can with the SMT6? I'm sure it would help out even more. I'm trying to get an SMT6 for a friend of mine with a 3.0 M20 so we can do a MAF conversion.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

:shock: nice gain

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro
                    Very good gains! Can you do a MAF conversion with the Unichip like you can with the SMT6? I'm sure it would help out even more. I'm trying to get an SMT6 for a friend of mine with a 3.0 M20 so we can do a MAF conversion.
                    That's my plan, hopefully I'll get what I'm hoping for out of it :D Sweet numbers Chris!!!!
                    -Ted

Comment

I'm such a dinosaur when it comes to ECU upgrades beyond chips.

What are the options, cost and who does it (for BMW E30s that is).
                      A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

that thing is torquey.. just for us backwards americans, he's getting 178ft-lbs at only 2000rpm and he's peaking at 202ft-lbs.. and this is at the wheels! :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

274 RWTQ? wow. thats the torque curve of a diesal engine ; ) that thing must pullll like no tomarrow. good show. I was hoping for you to at least break 200RWHP though.

Comment

Ian, its in newton meters....
                            BEERTECH

Comment

Now thats what I'm talking about! It is a fact that you can gain hp by using a different engine management (whether it be standalone or piggyback). Man, good figures, cam and other stuff would help, and maybe a MAF instead of the m30 AFM.

Good luck!

ps- Ted, you better hop on the train boy!!

matt

Comment

Working...
                              X