OEM Supplier - Delphi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Supplier - Delphi?

Never heard of them before but they appear to be an OES for later bmw models? can anyone verify this or are they purely aftermarket

A Delphi fuel pump 16141184022 looks very similar to a VDO fuel pump.
    The same font for "Made in Czech Rep".
    The Delphi label is accurately placed where the VDO logo should be.

Comment

Delphi does supply OES equipment for newer BMWs, but part suppliers will slap OEM on any manufacture that has sold an OES part before to that brand. So, you need to take it with a grain of salt. For example, I see this all the time, lets say Delphi made a sensor for BMW as OES, then when you look up, let say, a coil pack or whatever, they're going to list Delphi as OEM even though Delphi never made a coil pack as OES, which is why OEM and OES are two very different things.

Delphi is a good brand though.
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Actually, Pelican sells a Delphi fuel pump and I can see the letters VDO on it.
        Delphi Fuel Pump In-Tank Suction Device $245.00. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 16 14 1 184 022 16-14-1-184-022 16.14.1.184.022 16141184022 689604234167 HP10241. 325is, 325iX, 325i, 325, 318i.

Though, Autozone sells a Delphi pump, but with the letter C in it. It probably means China.

Comment

I bought the Delphi HP10241 from RockAuto.
          RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

It says Made in USA.

Comment

Delphi used to owned by GM.

Comment

The pump works pretty well, but it whines a little bit. You can hear it from outside.

Comment

Delphi pumps are not replaceable without replacing the whole hanger, VDO are. Delphi "style" came in the 318is's, they are identifiable by the plastic damper/connector thingy inline just above the pump.

Yes, Delphi was a huge supplier for GM - it was actually under the GM umbrella until the late 90's when they went solo as a spin-off, but was recently bought by Borg Warner and re-named this year.

Either way, they make quality products (naturally, as they are/was OEM GM supplier), my Express van has almost 300k miles in 14yr on the original Delphi fuel pump ;)
                Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Delphi pumps are not replaceable without replacing the whole hanger, VDO are. Delphi "style" came in the 318is's, they are identifiable by the plastic damper/connector thingy inline just above the pump.
                  The VDO pump looks exactly the same to me.
                  https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...2&KeepHeader=Y

I suspect that Delphi uses pumps from different manufacturers and puts its label on them.

---
                  I found a rubber sleeve for fuel pumps. But I don't know if the pump can be disassembled to put it on the pumping unit, and if the rubber won't dissolve in gasoline.
                  These also reduce pump noise and help protect the pump from vibration. A GM style pump. Water Pump Mounting Gasket Black 1957-1963 Pontiac V8 389 326 347 337 421. Set of 3 - Thermostat Housing Gasket Waterneck Buick 215 V8 231 252 V6.

Comment

Not the same. The Delphi have a plastic barrel above the pump and has a totally different pipe configuration than the VDO - also the Delphi pump itself is shorter to accommodate the plastic barrel. If you try and remove the Delphi pump from the housing, you will see a short stubby supply pipe and the VDO will have a long pipe with a rolled/barbed end to attach a rubber fuel line to. Just adding the padded sleeve won't help make the physical pipe connection, and no, fuel won't dissolve the rubber.

I have been through this with customer cars at work, countless times. If they have a Delphi previously installed, then they must pay for a hanger and pump to switch to VDO, or, we have to sell them a whole Delphi unit, which both are considerably more expensive than if we could just swap the pump itself.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

This is the original BMW pump on Ebay.

I believe you're thinking about the Valbro pump. My car had it installed, but it was very difficult to start the car with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                        This is the original BMW pump on Ebay.

I believe you're thinking about the Valbro pump. My car had it installed, but it was very difficult to start the car with it.

That is 100% Delphi "style". I have held both in my hands at the same time on multiple occasions, and have gone through this whole debacle many years ago. That pump hanger physically cannot fit the VDO pump (or any other standard in-tank pump for that matter). If you notice the pump itself is much narrower as well as shorter. The base of the hanger is different to accept the two different styles of filter socks. So, when you remove the Delphi style pump from the housing, and even let's say you force the sock to fit, that little white barrel/damper is also the connection and the supply pipe for the hanger is considerably shorter once you disassembled it.

To further complicate things there was also differences in Bosch and VDO pumps where the filter/sock doesn't interchange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e30pumps.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	9951869

john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Working...
                        X