Where do you keep fuel level at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you keep fuel level at?

I was just thinking this the other day, what is the most popular fuel level on the gas gauge? Where do YOU like to fill it to?

Personally I never fill above 1/2 for everyday around town driving. I keep it above 1/4 most of the time to avoid shit in my filter. Filling it up is when I have a trip to make.
    1/4
    14.46%
    1/2
    19.28%
    3/4
    4.82%
    full tank
    37.35%
    Rob
    24.10%
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

i keep it full until i get to about 1/4 or so and then i fill it.

how would more gas put more shit in your filter? i've never heard about this.

Comment

I try to fill up every time I hit 1/2. Sometimes I let it go to 1/4. Sometimes until the light comes on. I really don't like letting it go below 1/2 though.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

hahaha what fuel level. it says empty no matter what! just gotta count my miles with the broken odo lol

i feel i can get better MPG if i have less in my tank, so psychologically im easier on the gas because i know i dont have much. too easy to just floor it and use up fuel.
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop?? ;-)
        Originally posted by JinormusJ
        But of course
        E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

I don't like going below 1/4 tank, I fill up on Sunday(gas sale locally). Then drive till 1/4 and add 15.00 in when I need it till Sunday.

I just know a few people that run down to fumes and it is annoying/dumb.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

You are supposed to fill it when the light comes on. That's what the extra 30-40 miles of fuel is there for. Filling up before then is fine but then you are always driving around with the extra weight of that fuel which isn't ideal for MPG and making more frequent stops to top off. If you don't mind the frequent stops for gas, then keeping it between Reserve and 3/4's makes sense. Fuel filters should be changed at regular intervals. Running on fumes is the worst thing you can do since the fuel pumps are cooled and lubricated by fuel. Routinely running them dry will shorten their life.

Then they say never filling up is also bad because the fuel will evaporate faster since there's more air in the tank vs a full tank but that's a very small amount over a lot of time.
            Last edited by reelizmpro; 08-28-2012, 12:09 PM.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I don't go below 1/4 and I always fill it....
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                how would more gas put more shit in your filter? i've never heard about this.
                Originally posted by F34R View Post
                I keep it above 1/4 most of the time to avoid shit in my filter.
                He's saying that he keeps more gas in the tank to avoid shit in the filter.
                The logic behind it is that if you let the tank get very low, then the fuel pump will be sucking bad stuff from the bottom that might have accumulated there like rust and dirt.
                Not sure where you got more gas = more shit in filter from.
                Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                  He's saying that he keeps more gas in the tank to avoid shit in the filter.
                  The logic behind it is that if you let the tank get very low, then the fuel pump will be sucking bad stuff from the bottom that might have accumulated there like rust and dirt.
                  Not sure where you got more gas = more shit in filter from.
                  Sheetz.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

hahaha. dirty filter ;)
                    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                    Got Drop?? ;-)
                    Originally posted by JinormusJ
                    But of course
                    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

I let it hit the light just about every time, the guage just kinda waves hello at me most of the time. Then I put in exactly whatever $30 gets me.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                        sheetz.
                        gross.
                        1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

I say half only because that's what my gauge reads, I'm assuming its about an 1/8 to 1/5 off. But the low fuel light works so when I see that I hit the next gas station asap.

Originally posted by blunttech
                          Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

If the car is driven daily, it will usually be okay to run the tank down to 1/4 on a regular basis. When it reaches that point, fill it up. But how far to run the tank down is also a function of how long it will sit partially empty (see below). The in-tank pump is cooled by immersion in gas, so it isn't good for the pump for the level to routinely go lower. This is more important for cars built from 9/87 on that have the in-tank high pressure pump.

If the car is a weekend warrior you should keep the tank full all the time. Otherwise it will "breath". Expelling air during the day as the temperature rises and sucking in moisture laden air in the evening which will condense in the tank. That causes rust and can result in enough water in the tank to prevent the engine from running.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                              hahaha what fuel level. it says empty no matter what! just gotta count my miles with the broken odo lol
                              HAHA my fuel gauge is broken too :(

Comment

Working...
                              X