Electric Classic Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Classic Cars

I'm currently planning on converting an VW Rabbit Mk1 into a fully electric car. The reasoning is that:

- fuel costs for electric vehicles compared to gasoline vehicles are fractional (and gas prices will rise)

- electric vehicles put out much less net pollution than gasoline vehicles

- The cost of restoring & converting an Mk1 Rabbit is cheaper than the cost of a new electric car

- I've always wanted an Mk1, and new electric cars are ugly

I think that covers the main points. Right now I predict the entire build to cost around $15,000 ($5,000 is for restoring the Mk1, $10,000 for the electric conversion).

Anyhow, that's just to give an idea of what I'm talking about. The main point of this thread is to see what kind of interest people would have in fully electric classic cars. R3v may not be the best place for this kind of discussion but, hey, I like you guys.

So,

What kind of interest is there for classic cars that are converted to fully electric?

What kind of price would you feel reasonable to pay for an electric classic car?

Keep in mind:

- almost all old vehicles would be fine candidates, however the lower the weight the better.

- Power, range, and top-speed are all variable and dependent on what you want.

Can't think of much else to say. The reasoning behind this post is that I have the idea of converting older cars into electrics because new cars suck, and electric vehicles are not only smart but necessary for the future. I would like to see if there is any interest in this idea.

Thanks R3v, bring on the questioning!
    Different strokes for different folks.

If you want range plan on studying batteries everywhere. In doors, floor boards, transmission tunnel, engine bay, under seats in tear, trunk, etc. most I've seen out of the average conversion that only put batteries in the bay was like 30mi.

Cool idea. +1
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Batteries will make or break your build.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Internal combustion or die.
        E30 buildy things
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
          Batteries will break your build.
          I've thought about doing this as well, your price estimate is fairly realistic. Any idea how you will tie the motor to the drivetrain? Mount it directly to the stock transmission like the electric vw bugs? Or would to put together a new dive train as well?
          instagram

Comment

I figure where the gas tank used to be is where I'll place a large amount of the batteries. The engine is another wide open space since there won't be much left in there.

It's easy to achieve 60+ mile range, many friends online have done it with everything from buggies to trucks. The idea behind an electric car is that it will mainly be for city, or shorter distant commuting. At least until technology advances a little more.

I love internal combustion, but it sadly has to be phased out. Let's not talk about climate change here though.

I'm mainly interested in seeing if anyone would pay for an electrically powered classic car, think:

BMW 2002, Datsun 510, VW Rabbit, E30, E21, E28, 70's Celica, Civic, Corolla, Accord, Datsun 240/260/280/Z/ZX, Datsun B210, Etc...

Personally I would drive ICE till the day I die if I didn't know it had to end, but with electric conversion I know I can drive a classic car that looks great, handles well, had character, and is clean, enviro-friendly, and efficient--forever.

I just feel there are others out there like me, and I would much rather pay ~$20,000 for a fully restored, fully electric classic than a new electric.

Comment

Big Willy, I'm still debating that.. I like the idea of having the regular transmission, but a popular route to go is throwing in an old Chevy powerglide transmission. I haven't done enough research on what different transmissions options are available to say yet.

If it were up to me I would go with in-hub/wheel motors, but there is only one company who is realistically offering that, and they're not offering it to those looking to do one-off conversions, not to mention their pricing is outrageous. Once in-wheel motors become more mainstreamed and perfected that will be the route to go in my opinion because it saves an incredible amount of weight by eliminating the drivetrain.

Comment

I can't remember the company, and dont feel like googling for you, but I recall a company that makes conversion kits for old VWs and BMWs and other makes. It places an electric motor in place of the original motor with a custom bellhousing adapter so you retain the rest of the powertrain. This isnt ideal from an efficiency stand point due to the added frictional and rotational losses compared to a direct drive setup, but I think shifting gears is essential to driving pleasure.

Rack of batteries in the trunk = better weight distribution in the rabbit. I say go for it. It will cost a nice chunk of change for sure though.
                --Will

Comment

Only cool if you get near same HP and torque a the car had stock IMO. Has to be a worthwhile upgrade if you decide to track your classic.
                  1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                  willschnitz

Comment

Working at a electric car dealership for a while (Ecomotion) I can give you an idea of the electric car market. They are very cheap people who like the idea of being an early adopter and they arent car guys. Car guys dont buy practical, they but what makes them feel cool, gives them goosebumps to drive. If you cant make a electric car do that you wont get car guys. With that said the e-car market dosent care if its a geo metro or a vw fastback they want the car cheap with lots of range. People into classic cars are in it for the specific experience that car gives, making it electric supresses that experience.

Oh and hub motors seem like a great idea till someone hits a curb and kills a 5,000 dollar motor.

Comment

a 1980s golf isn't a classic car by any means, maybe an old car though.

no, I will never pull the 383 small block with a very lumpy 1200rpm idle to stick an electric motor in it.
                      I see nohing wrong with electric cars, just like the smell of the exhaust and sound the car makes.

Comment

Basically what I'm saying is find a customer first that will provide the donor. By the time you get a decent 2002/Celica/510 for a good price it might be more profitable to fix up the car and flip it.

Comment

I hate prius.
                          I would drive a tesla
                          I would also drive this.

I'll leave this here.

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

CarsSuck, I believe you are thinking about http://www.e-volks.com/ and they do offer some nice kits.

As for same HP/Tracking, my Rabbit will be for functional purposes of commuting around the city. That being said, electric cars offer a LOT in terms of performance. Incorporating a sport mode function would be necessary for classic electrics.

As you all probably know, electric vehicles have nearly all their torque from start, so they can really get up and go quickly if you want them to.

You have a point MarshallM, but continuing from what I was just saying, it's easy to make any of these old cars a hell of a lot quicker than they were by converting to electric.

The hardest change will be the feel and sound of an electric vs an ICE car, but maybe that can become an appreciable aspect?

Comment

Thank you for that iwantspeed, that shit was fantastic.

So an E36 M3 weighs ~400lbs more in stock form than an E30 M3.... Just throwing that out there.

And, the Mk1 Rabbit GTI weighs 1080 lbs less than an E30 M3... Also throwing that out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X