Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Turned Wood Shift Knobs

Hey guys and girls,
    As some of you may know I am currently attending a wooden boat building school in Washington (Port Hadlock).
    We just started wood lathe work, and I had a thought. I need to come up with a project to turn on the lathe and I thought I could do some shift knobs for e30/2002 cars (they are interchangeable).
    I wont make many of them, at least not yet, but if there is interest I would be willing to make a few and sell them for the price of shipping and the wood. They would be made out of hard woods, but there is no guaranty what hard wood I will be able to get my hands on. The shapes have to be symmetrical and even as they are being turned. If some one has measurements for the size of the emblem in the knob I can cut a small recess for them to fit into
    Are there any shapes and/or sizes people are interested in seeing? Post up some example pictures.
    Ill get on the lathe today and make one or two and throw up some pictures so people can see what Im doing. If there is enough interest I can make small batches on the mini lathe behind my house. We will see how it goes.

Something Like these, I could also do balls or DTM stile knobs...

Cheers guys
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

I would love a wooden DTM style knob! I bet there are quite a few guys on here who would be willing to buy a wooden "door knob" style shift knob. They are quite hard to find.

Comment

Pretty awesome.
      How will the be secured and not spin? Can you modify them internally with that nub like stock ones?

Can you make this one for me so I don't feel lonely when I shift?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I just worked out a deal for a lathe locally. I bought it for this lol
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Jeremy, you just made my day by even thinking of doing these! In short, I want one.

I can send you a leather sample of the early mushroom style for you to take measurement off of. Also, was planning on doing a run of cloisonne with the standard gear shift pattern (think the roundel might be a bit of infringement), as the only current separately available piece has the motorsport strips and is $15-ish list price.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I might be interested, especially if I could give you rough dimensions of one I'd like?

Comment

very nice. ill let you know if i need something nice

Comment

That light wood alpina knob in the first pic is soooo drool!
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

@ Andrew
                  Yeah send me the leather or just a good template of the leather and Ill see what I can do. PM me for details.
                  @ Justin
                  I think I am going to try and make a batch of one or two different styles. Right now I am thinking a Alpina mushroom style and a longer DTM style knob. I dont have my own shop, so I cant take custom orders. PM me in a few weeks if you get measurements and Ill see what I can do.

@ ak-
                  As fare as fitting them with out them twisting... They will be round so they wont have a front/back unless they get an emblem, in which case I can see about a set screw or you can crack open a shity knob from Pick N Pull and use the plastic insert from that. Ill get to that when I get to it.

Im just gauging interest. Ill get those measurements from Andrew and finish my own and post some pictures when I do.
                  This is what I did today just as a first test run with some shity fur. My ma will love it lol.

sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

ooooooo i might be interested, how great of a finish can you make? similar to the ones in the first photo?

Comment

Oo, a set screw yes.

I'd be interested in a tall long retsffaJ style one, but slimmer.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I'd be interested in a blank-faced alpina style knob.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          i'd be interested in a blank-faced alpina style knob.
                          +1
                          -Pierre
                          1987 535is
                          1988 325is

Comment

What if I send you enough wood to make a few? We should work something out. I want a zebrawood or birds eye maple one.

But like someone else mentioned, will there be a set screw or something? The OE one in my '02 spins from the vibrations.
                            sigpic

Comment

In for a door knob style knob

Comment

Working...
                              X