No announcement yet.

Damn you Harbor Freight tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A left handed drill bit should remove that without issue since it wasn't rusted in place just over torqued. But like others have said you need to hone you bolt torquing skills, think about how much torque a bolt of that size should be able to take, I bet you think it's less than you were applying at the time. I'm not trying to be condecending in any way because I have done the same thing before, but you need to develop a feel for how much you should torque bolts of different sizes because sometimes torque specs are Wrong in things like chitons and haynes manuals,sometimes you must trust your instincts not what anything says
    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
    Bimmerbuddies LLC
    717-388-1256
    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

My torque wrench is a piece of crap. I've done 5 rebuilds and I make sure I slowly turn to wait for the click. I doubted it already as soon as it got it in my hand. Somehow, I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways, it's out. I just wanted to vent. I've buttoned up the engine now and I need a break. Have to wait for more parts to come.

This did it.

Thanks guys for all your help.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      ---------------------------------
      89 E30 S52
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

holy shit. You mean to tell me that bolt extractors actually work?

Shit - I'm like 3 for 3 on broken/failed attempts with extractors. Never had one work, then always resort to dremmel slot & impact driver.. lol
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Out of all the extractors Iv'e used, this one worked perfectly.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
          89 E30 S52
          Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
            holy shit. You mean to tell me that bolt extractors actually work?

Shit - I'm like 3 for 3 on broken/failed attempts with extractors. Never had one work, then always resort to dremmel slot & impact driver.. lol
            Lol... We both sound like bad luck chucks.

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              well, some people have experience with turning wrenches and some people don't. apparently, you fall in the latter category. once you gain a little experience, you will "know" when too much torque is too much torque without breaking off bolt heads waiting to feel for the "click". cheap tools and a lack of experience that allows you to depend on cheap tools are a bad combination i am afraid.

yes. this sucks but should be an easy repair by taking off the pan and using vise grips on the stud as mentioned above.

by the way this thread sounds, you are blaming the tool. even if the tool sucks, you are to blame for breaking the bolt i am sorry to say.

good luck getting it out. hopefully it will be an easy task
              Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
              A left handed drill bit should remove that without issue since it wasn't rusted in place just over torqued. But like others have said you need to hone you bolt torquing skills, think about how much torque a bolt of that size should be able to take, I bet you think it's less than you were applying at the time. I'm not trying to be condecending in any way because I have done the same thing before, but you need to develop a feel for how much you should torque bolts of different sizes because sometimes torque specs are Wrong in things like chitons and haynes manuals,sometimes you must trust your instincts not what anything says
              You guys should remember, torquing with a broken torque wrench is like torquing with a breaker bar. There is absolutely no feel for how much torque you are really applying due to the multiplication of torque from the size of the bar. In order to torque small bolts like that by hand, you need to use a small ratchet, not a 1 foot long one.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
              Originally posted by scabzzzz
              I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
              1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
              2002 325i - DD
              2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Ok then, skip the torque wrench and tighten it by feel then. It's a fucking oil pan, the actual torque spec is not critical.
                '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
                  Ok then, skip the torque wrench and tighten it by feel then. It's a fucking oil pan, the actual torque spec is not critical.
                  Obviously it is, otherwise you break the heads off the bolts.

Comment

Or you get an oil leak.

I used my 1/4 ratchet with a small handle and just went by feel the second time.
                    89 E30 S52
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Both my HF torque wrenches spec'd out properly when checked by a (professional) mechanic friend's Snap-On rep. I was pleasantly surprised. Glad to see you got your bolt out.

Comment

Yeah I always hand tighten oil pan bolts too.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                          Obviously it is, otherwise you break the heads off the bolts.
                          I (think I) see what you did there. Not sure if serious.
                          '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                          '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
                            I (think I) see what you did there. Not sure if serious.
                            verysrs.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                            Originally posted by scabzzzz
                            I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                            1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                            2002 325i - DD
                            2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

I make sure I slowly turn to wait for the click.
                              Yeah, works better if you turn a bit faster... the cheap clickers are velocity- sensitive.

I have a beam- style wrench I use for things like that... when I use a torque
                              wrench on things like that... which is very, very seldom.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Use back outs to get the broken bolt out

Comment

Working...
                                X