Stuck lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck lock

Our '91 318is has frozen drivers-side door lock. I can unlock the passenger side door directly with the key, or from the trunk with the central locking system. But the driver's side lock won't budge. It is was in the far right "dead-bolt" position, and I got it back up into the vertical locked position, but cannot get the key to turn to the left to unlock. Also, the flap that covers the key slot will not return, so that the slot is permanently open.

I am clueless for power locks. Is this an issue with the lock cylinder, or the power door lock system? The driver's side lock has always been very hard to turn, and I have wondered about adding a keyless entry system. Would such a system work for our car with the lock in the current condition?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

It should be a problem with the tumbler. A lot of e30s suffer the problem after thousands of locks and unlocks. over 20 years. Most people unlock their cars from the trunk.

If you want you can rebuild the tumbler but that is a lot of work. As long as you can open the trunk with the key you can install keyless.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
        If you want you can rebuild the tumbler but that is a lot of work. As long as you can open the trunk with the key you can install keyless.
        Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like a keyless entry system might be in my future. How does the keyless system open the driver's door, if the lock won't open?

Comment

The keyless entry dosnt need the lock tumbler to work in order to actually open the door. As long as your central locking works (from trunk for example as posted above) and that opens the drivers door...your good.

Sometimes spraying some penetrating oil on the mechanism (from inside the door) and some graphite into the lock will clear things up.
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
            Most people unlock their cars from the trunk.

It's actually quite easy. Got tired of opening my car from the trunk after a week with the GF #becausechivalry, so I fixed it. Was actually quite fun as well, and the new lock was so butter smooth.

Comment

I'll give the tumbler rebuild a try.

Any recommendations for an affordable keyless entry system for our cars?

Comment

Yep

German engineering (ge) member here sells em. Works great and is inexpensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

One thing I still don't understand: I can currently use the trunk to open the passenger-side lock but not the driver-side lock, which sounds like the central locking mechanism cannot control the driver lock. If keyless entry systems use the central locking mechanism to control door locks, how will the keyless system be able to unlock my drivers-side door, unless I repair the tumble?

Comment

It won't that's what we've been saying.

Comment

Okay, I'm beginning to get it. My immediate problem is how to get the door open, in order to gain access to the lock, if the door is shut and the lock won't open?

Comment

You can't manually pull the lock up from inside?

Comment

No, last night I couldn't raise the lock button from the inside, but I was able to raise the button this morning. Turns out the flap in the keyhole got stuck open and allowed water to enter the lock mechanism. I warmed the door and shot lock lubricant inside the mechanism, and eventually must have melted the ice, because this morning I was able to unlock the door from the inside.

I can once again lock and unlock all doors from the trunk lock, so I'm going to order a keyless entry system.
                          Thanks for all the help!
                          Last edited by idickers; 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

When I first read the thread tittle, I thought it was "stück" lock. 8)
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by idickers View Post
                              No, I couldn't raise the lock button from the inside. Turns out the flap in the keyhole got stuck open and allowed water to enter the lock mechanism. I warmed the door and shot lock lubricant inside the mechanism, and eventually must have melted the ice, because this morning I was able to unlock the door from the inside.

I can once again lock and unlock all doors from the trunk lock, so I'm going to order a keyless entry system.
                              Thanks for all the help!
                              Be prepared for a raging pain in the ass.

What has likely happened here is your door lock "actuator" (lock motor) has seized. It is common on all door lock actuators of this "rack and pinion" type.

The BMW ones are better than most and last for 20 years...not too shabby IMO.

What, you ask, is the raging pain in the ass? You get to pull your door panel with the door closed. That is one miserable task, just dive in and deal with it.

Once you get the panel off, you can loosen the screws that hold the actuator in place. Once the actuator can move, it will likely unlock just fine.

Might wanna get yourself a spare known good actuator before you even start.

Best of luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X