Best Torque Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
    I think that one is the same as the HF torque wrench.
    Nope, the Pep Boys one is made by Great Neck while the HF one is Pittsburgh Pro.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

Probably made in the factory across the street. The 3/8" looks a little different but the 1/2" is the same.

Amazing deals on this 1/2In Dr Click Type Torque Wrench at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

As far as torque wrenches go, I never feel safe unless it's a brand i can trust like snap, Mac and I like sk a lot also. If you watch eBay you can find some great deans on some nice ones.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Store at lowest setting meaning all the way down, or at 0 ft-lbs?

I always store mine with no tension - all the way down.

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm good with my trusty HF wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
            Store at lowest setting meaning all the way down, or at 0 ft-lbs?

I always store mine with no tension - all the way down.
            Store at zero foot pounds. You don't want to go too far with it.

That said, I wonder how many people have a failed torque wrench due to improper storage, then blame the tool.

I have 2 craftsman torque wrenches, both owned for over 10 years. The 3/8 one only just recently started to be notably out. 1/2 inch is still going strong.

That said, you want the best? Go snappy.... Coming from a guy who only buys a few select Snap-On tools.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

brand i can trust like snap, Mac and I like sk
              I have a 3/8 and a 1/4 drive click-type Snap-ons, because I used to be a paid mechanic. The 3/8 is a recent replacement for the previous one that failed yearly calibration after 15 years of service. They're for torquing stuff to a real value. If I had to replace them, now that I'm an amateur mechanic I'd go with SK or Mac.

Don't send your Snap-On to Snap-On for calibration, it'll fail every time and they have to send it away to tribe of special elves for an expensive and lengthy repair. Strangely, if you send it to your local calibration shop it'll pass.

For installing alloy wheels I have a bending beam No-Name from a pawn shop. A bending beam can't go out of calibration, and alloy wheel torque isn't wildly critical.

Never use a torque wrench for breaking fasteners loose, and store them at the lowest setting, not as far down as they will go. I've discovered to my (boss's) cost that it's good idea to make sure the click head in a Snap-On will actually click if it hasn't been used in a while. :eeek:

Don't send your Snap-On to Snap-On for calibration, it'll fail every time and they'll insist on sending it away to tribe of special elves in a mountain cave somewhere for an expensive and lengthy repair.
              Strangely, if you send it to your local calibration shop it'll pass.

Comment

I have 2 craftsman torque wrenches, both owned for over 10 years. The 3/8 one only just recently started to be notably out. 1/2 inch is still going strong.
                A lot of things can change quality wise in 10 years. There is no guaranty that the craftsman you bought back then was made the same as the one's that crapped out on me. I didn't even get a chance to store them improperly. They were crap straight out of the box and just never clicked.
                sigpic

Comment

I have a Craftsman as well. Seems to work fine except the plastic handle has a plastic lock ring, which broke after little use. I wrapped some electrical tape around the ring to hold it together and it mostly works. I tried to return it for a new one and was told I couldn't. Their answer as to why? "Because it torques" and is therefore not considered a hand tool. Had I know it was not considered a hand tool and available for free replacement if it broke, I would not have bought it.

Comment

I'd go with SK
                    I loved SK. Even the surly, Chicago- style 'service'. Sadly, they went out of business a few years back.

Cornwell?

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                    X