Almost wrecked my car last night... Please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost wrecked my car last night... Please read

So I was dropping my buddy off at the airport around 7pm last night. Took I-205 from Johnson Creek Blvd (about 6 miles @ 70mph). After dropping him off I was heading home when something didn't feel right with my car. I had the choice to either get on I-205 or take 82nd (a busy non-freeway street). I was SO close to gettin on I-205 as it takes about half the time to get home, but I decided at the last minute to trust my gut. I cut across traffic onto 82nd and pulled over then got out to check my tires. All of them seemed to have good tire pressure so I got back in the car. I had a funny feeling though and decided to check my lug bolts. Going around the car clockwise starting with the front passenger wheel I felt each lug to make sure they were tight. Coming around to the front driver side wheel I reached for a lug and it was gone. I thought WTF, looked down and the other three were just barely threaded. I kicked the tire a bit on the left side to see if it would move and the whole thing pivoted. I was able to tighten up the lugs and drive home on three.

The reason I wanted everyone to read this is because if I had chose to be lazy and got on the freeway there's no doubt I would've had a very, very bad accident. One which would've totaled my car and quite possibly done damage to others. If you guys feel like something doesn't feel right, get out and take a look. It might save your life.

Man, once I forgot to torque down the front right wheel after working on it and I noticed its within a mile at 30mph. they werent even loose, just not all the way tight.

I couldnt imagine what actual loose lugs would feel like.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
      Man, once I forgot to torque down the front right wheel after working on it and I noticed its within a mile at 30mph. they werent even loose, just not all the way tight.

I couldnt imagine what actual loose lugs would feel like.
      Yeah, I always notice loose lugs before I even make it to the end of my block.

I got another flat last night, 3rd damn flat since I've got these tires

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I was driving on the interstate and noticed a sound/vibration when i was letting off the gas, and immediately pulled over at the next exit. One lugnut was loose, not even backed off that much, but I noticed. thank god for 8mm longer studs, not that i would have needed them, but they are there just in case

Comment

Lugnuts are a bitch, and so are morons at Monro who dont even put them on your car. Good thing you saved it man, its the worst when the wheel falls off.
          Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
            I was driving on the interstate and noticed a sound/vibration when i was letting off the gas, and immediately pulled over at the next exit. One lugnut was loose, not even backed off that much, but I noticed. thank god for 8mm longer studs, not that i would have needed them, but they are there just in case
            I had a similar deal with a prior car. Felt a little vibration/shimmy - pulled over and three were loose.

I had just picked up the car from the body shop where it had been repaired after an old man backed into the door.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Got a similar story.

At my old stereo shop we had a 90 Jetta 2.0 16v monster. Thing was faster than greased owl shit. After puttin suspension on it we got out the rims to slap on the bitch. I was complainin bout how the lug wrench we had was too big and was puttin small scratches in the wheel. So I left my colleague to finish up that wheel and I went on to mounting the rest of them. He gave me another lug wrench and I went to tightening the other 3 down. All said and done we get washed up and ready for the night out on the town in our new shop car. He rolls it up the street and back down to let me grab some video of it so he can see it as it "rolls". So he parks it and we get ready to go. As we pull off up the road I'm like... "Man thats makin a weird noise in the front end." He just shrugs it off as tires "settling in". No more than 30 seconds after he says that we hear the smash and the car slams to the ground. The drivers front tire passes us at about 40mph and shoots off down the street into a side yard and takes a direct hit into one of those small green electrical markers along the side of the road. We watch as the wheel shoots about 30 feet into the air and makes a BEAUTIFUL sillouhette against the moon. It comes crashing down on some old K car's roof shattering the drivers side windows. Once it hits the car it shoots off into the small section of woods thats right there. My man manages to whip the car into an adjacent parking lot and without hesitation jumps from the car and yells for me to run from the cops. I hadn't even noticed but there was an accident no more than 500 yards up the road and cops were every where. So..... instinctively.... I ran. I get back to his house which is maybe a mile down the road and he's not there. I'm inside and waiting when the cops show up and start asking for him. Hell.... I honestly didn't know where he was..... long story short... He had assumed I was going to tighten the lugs on the wheel I left him at. I assumed he had tightened them when he was done at that wheel. The damage was the fender, door, rotor, caliper, lower control arm and hub. Amazingly enough the wheel was fine. It took a couple of days before we found it.... mainly because we had to use the cover of darkness to make any attempt to do so in order to avoid suspision.

Wheel lugs suck. Plain and simple

Comment

this seems very popular...someone else on the board just had this happen but I'll let him say if he wants.

EVERYONE GO CHECK YOUR LUGS!!!!
                ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Dan should post up in here! I know there is a picture out there somewhere.

He actually didn't make it to checking his wheel in time and ended up chasing it down the street!

:)

Oooh! Lookie!! I found the picture!!!

Comment

^Bryson had that happen to him^

with the bronzit, he hand threaded ONE lug on one of the rear tires, and sure enough, it fell off on his way home.

Good call on going by your gut instinct.

Comment

three flats? damn
                      sigpic

Comment

you know Dan. I make fun of you ALOT for that wheel incident. But dang. In your defence, that really had to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by KDZROK
                          you know Dan. I make fun of you ALOT for that wheel incident. But dang. In your defence, that really had to suck.
                          What's with you, Jordan, and your spelling?

Comment

that's pretty lucky, you could have caused a lot of damage (see my parts car thread). Nothing like that has happened to me, but there have been a couple times where I put on the lugs hand tight, lowered the car onto the ground and almost forgot to torque them.

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            I got another flat last night, 3rd damn flat since I've got these tires
                            that shit happens to me too, I got sick of it and bought the extended warranty for my BFG's. I like to run over nails and screws with my sidewalls for some reason..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by BENdashdash
                              What's with you, Jordan, and your spelling?
                              Umm...i don't kare enuff to spell chek sumtimes? Ummm...I spell feneticly.

Umm...I am not being graded, and it's not for biznes, so I don't give a fuk?

Comment

Working...
                              X