2002 as a daily beater??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 as a daily beater??

I need a fun daily beater to drive around while I put my e30 in the garage for some work. Was thinking about a 2002. I think i can find a cheap 5-speed, no rust one locally. Are there a lot of headaches with these cars, relative to the e30 of course? The maintenence on these cars should be less difficult than an e30 right? Any advice welcome.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

they are older so more than likely more will be wrong w/ them...BUT they are really cool cars
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

You're thinking about a car where the newest example is 30 years old. You're gonna cruise around in modern heavy traffic in a vehicle with 60's era engineering and safety features.

I love 2002's and all, but seriously dude, for a daily beater, go get a corolla.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
        You're thinking about a car where the newest example is 30 years old. You're gonna cruise around in modern heavy traffic in a vehicle with 60's era engineering and safety features.

I love 2002's and all, but seriously dude, for a daily beater, go get a corolla.

-Charlie

I said FUN daily beater. WTF is modern traffic? I am aware theyre old, but how much better is an e30 really, as far as safety features go? ABS, thats about it. I just wanna know if its going to be a pain to keep it running, i can do without amenities and safety features.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
        You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

There are so many places that it coudl fail. Will you know how old the seals/gaskets are? Hoses?

Also, bear in mind they are carbed, and not FI. If you have no experience with Webers, you may have tricker stuff to deal with. And if you can;t fix it, its harder and harder to find techs who can.

I'm with Charloe, get a cheapy civic or corolla. We won't mock you or call you a ricer.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen
            I need a fun daily beater to drive around while I put my e30 in the garage for some work.
            If you get a 2002, you'll likely have two cars in the garage for some work. As already mentioned, 02s are great little cars....light, nimble, and fun. These are relatively old cars by today's standards and with that age comes problems. You want something that is fun and reliable, get a Miata or Sentra SE-R. Aside for normal maintenance, these cars should be pretty much trouble free unless they've been neglected and had the shit beat out of them.

Jon
            Rides...
            1991 325i - sold :(
            2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

miata ftw

really fun to drive, nimble, reliable, etc
              ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                There are so many places that it coudl fail. Will you know how old the seals/gaskets are? Hoses?

Also, bear in mind they are carbed, and not FI. If you have no experience with Webers, you may have tricker stuff to deal with. And if you can;t fix it, its harder and harder to find techs who can.

I'm with Charloe, get a cheapy civic or corolla. We won't mock you or call you a ricer.

Good call on the all gaskets/seals, could just do an overhaul of all of those for a couple hundred$.

What tricky stuff? Rebuilding the carbs or worse things? This is the kinda crap I wanna know.

I will never own a japanese car, period. Id rather drive an eta.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen
                  I will never own a japanese car, period. Id rather drive an eta.
                  Well then, there is your answer. That, or maybe a Saturn.
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

screw that, buy on 02. It comes with the trusty m10, pretty bulletproof motor. Carbs aren't a big deal, there is a ton of information out there for these cars. Finding a 5-speed car might be tough. Only a few 5 speeds came from the factory, although a lot of guys swap them in from 320's. I say go for it. How many of us here drive e30's as daily drivers? They can't be that much safer than 02's and god knows that there are a lot more moving parts in an m20 then in an m10. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
                      Well then, there is your answer. That, or maybe a Saturn.
                      or a vw....nah, i hate vws

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

Comment

http://bmw2002faq.com/
                        http://www.bimmers.com/02/intro/buyer_guide.html

I wrestled with the idea of getting a 2002, I say go for it!

other than that, if it's just fun, basic transportation... why not a bike...
                        hey, anybody can go fast in a car.
                        Last edited by Febi Guibo; 02-15-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Febi Guibo
                          http://bmw2002faq.com/
                          http://www.bimmers.com/02/intro/buyer_guide.html

I wrestled with the idea of getting a 2002, I say go for it!

other than that, if it's just fun, basic transportation... why not a bike...
                          hey, anybody can go fast in a car.

I was looking for a bike for awhile, but i cant seem to find a decent running BMW bike for under 2500$. Plus if i go to the grocery store or need to take parts to machine/body shop or it rains, bike becomes pretty useless.

Im really enjoying the thought of driving around a fairly stripped down 2002. All of IEs performance stuff for the 02s is fairly cheap even compared to e30 stuff.

Comment

Just wait for the first time you NEED to get somewhere (meeting etc) and your 30 year old classic car decides to crap out on you. Seriously dude, get a civic and noone will complain, as long as you dont rice it out.
                            Back to my roots

Comment

Guys, he wants an assurance, not an opinion. He's already gotten it in his head that he wants a 30+ year old car for a daily driver, all he needs now is "you go girl" comments.

Granted, I think it's pretty insane to have two garage queens and no toaster-car to rely on, but hey, I'm crazy like that.

-Charlie
                              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                              FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                              X