Speeding Kills: Your Pocketbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding Kills: Your Pocketbook

I just found a link to this video. It's a pretty awesome analysis of how asinine current speed limits are. Enjoy

UPDATE: Speed Kills Your Pocketbook 2 - Lying with Statistics will be released in early November, 2019. See the trailer at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/skyp...
    '96 318ic- sold
    '03 530i - DD
    e30 - looking for the right one

I use to get speeding tickets all the time. All 100% my fault. I got sick of sending my money to the state, plus I realized it isn't that hard to drive the posted speed limits. Even though some may seem really low. I still get where I'm going on time, I'm more relaxed, and I got more money in my pockets.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      I use to get speeding tickets all the time. All 100% my fault. I got sick of sending my money to the state, plus I realized it isn't that hard to drive the posted speed limits. Even though some may seem really low. I still get where I'm going on time, I'm more relaxed, and I got more money in my pockets.
      Agreed, We have this issue in our area. People tailgate incessantly and when they pass you at the next light they are right in front of you.

I just can't stand the running red lights the no blinkers and so forth.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        I just can't stand the running red lights the no blinkers and so forth.
        In my area about 60% of the cars were special ordered from the dealer with the turn-signal delete option.

Comment

While I very much agree with the points made in the video, I gave up speeding a long time ago. I like driving slower, I am calmer, I get better gas mileage, and I don't care when I see law enforcement because I know I am in the right. It's easy, and I haven't spoken with a Police officer in years. Speeding isn't worth the hassle for me.

Comment

often speed limits are too low - but not always. in fact, sometimes they are actually too high - around here, I can think of several places where people drive WAY too fast and there's no enforcement. Then I go the speed limit and they're riding my ass and swerving back and forth wishing they could go around me.

and out in the county, it's always posted 35. often 40-50 is OK if there's just fields and cows, but I don't like flying by people's homes with the loud pedal to the max. Especially since there aren't exactly a lot of cars like mine in the area (zero), people will recognize you after a while, I don't want to be "that dumb kid in the silver BMW". I know they'd remember me because I remember the idiots that drove by my old house at 65mph every day.

the freeway here is posted 70. that's fast enough for me - maybe I'll hit 75 or 80 passing somebody. there's always somebody willing to fly by at 90mph in a Prius though. I'm with Jason and M-technik-3 on that one - I prefer not stressing about it.

basically this issue seems important to you when you're young, but when you get older you stop caring. I probably deserve 5x as many tickets as I've actually gotten when I was young.. I'd rather spend that money on beer or E30 parts. :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I find myself wanting to go faster than the limit, but never feeling like a speed limit is too low. 5 over is usually the max I'll go, depending on conditions. Limit the freeway is 70, where I usually hang around 75, but sometimes the flow of traffic hits 85... Driving fast everywhere also burns more gas than necessary.
              My Feedback

Comment

This is in my home town, so remember these limits are kilometers per hour.

Our freeway speed limits are 80-90 kph up untill wayy put to the Fraser valley, then it's up to 100-110 kph max.

This video is bang on with how our government thinks of drivers. We are just another revenue source.
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

If you have a heavy foot just stance your car brobro

Originally posted by yert315
                  Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                    This is in my home town, so remember these limits are kilometers per hour.

Our freeway speed limits are 80-90 kph up untill wayy put to the Fraser valley, then it's up to 100-110 kph max.

This video is bang on with how our government thinks of drivers. We are just another revenue source.
                    I still can't get over of your guy's insurance options....oh wait, none.

(i have friends in BC, they hate it)

Comment

I like the videos suggestion of more and better driver training.

If people would not drive like fucktards, pay attention to driving, look beyond the car infront of them and anticipate what other drivers might do instead of just reacting, then the roads would be safer too.

My dad had a friend who was a traffic engineer and I met them for lunch once. I asked him how they come up with speed limits, because I always speed and think they are too low
                      He basically told me in simplified terms, they figure out the max speed you could safely drive on a road surface in perfect conditions then divide it in half. Then adjust it for tge suroundings like traffic and pedestrian traffic.

That being said, I speed everywhere. 10-15 over on major through fares, 80-90 on the freeway if that is the flow of traffic's speed.

I keep it at or below the limit in residential streets and school zones.

It does not really effect my milage any more than getting out of sync with the traffic lights.
                      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I very rarely get a speeding ticket. Pulled over countless times, but have only received 2 tickets. But that's because I know the secret to getting out of them.

Make the cop laugh, some way some how. Change their daily grind of "Boo hoo, I can't pay it" or "Don't you have anything better to do" or "You got me fair and square so I'll submit" to something else and they love you for it.

My favorite way to do it is using a Monopoly get out of jail free card. But you only get that option once per cop, so you have to have your own wits as backup just in case.

But, I really don't speed all that often anyways. No real use in tempting fate with that one.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                          The message of the video is not to "go over the speed limit", but how corrupt and illogical the system is and how they should be raised - for many reasons.
                          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post

My favorite way to do it is using a Monopoly get out of jail free card.
                            You mean a real monopoly game card or a box of donuts strategically placed on the passenger seat?
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                              That being said, I speed everywhere. 10-15 over on major through fares, 80-90 on the freeway if that is the flow of traffic's speed.

I keep it at or below the limit in residential streets and school zones.
                              This is pretty much how I drive. Except in neighborhoods, and places with lots of people, I'm always doing at least 5 over. If the road is wide open with no one on it, I do whatever I feel like. Whenever I come up on someone doing the speed limit, it just feels so damn slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X