325ix Tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix Tuners?

Ok I sold my 91 325i like two or three months ago. Great car but I had a chance to turn a nice profit. And I was planning on saving for a 944 Turbo but then I got the E30 itch again when I saw a super clean 91 ix two door with 5speed for sale. It has 140,000 miles on the clock and looks great. He has replaced the steering rack, performance exhaust, ASA rims, and H&R springs and a ton of other stuff. I’m thinking of maybe picking it up and modding it or at least just driving it till the summer. So who here has a modified ix? How do they handle and put the power down? What are the weak links? I heard from E30tech that the spines on the front drive shaft aren’t in enough but that can be fixed with spacers right? If I did choose to keep the car and not switch to the 951 in the summer then I would defiantly be turboing the ix. I far as what kind of numbers I want...I’m not all about drag racing really but I would like to run 13s in the 1/4mile. But my first concern is handling.

Where do I even start.

Try reading up on olds thread about the IX on here or e30tech. Basically everything you want the IX to do is not going to happen with an IX.

Originally posted by DaveCN
    Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

IDK I know its not as easy as a RWD E30 but im reading mixed reviews. I know the RWD one is "more fun" with oversteer and all but in the end isnt AWD always faster?

Comment

I've been thinking long and hard about this dilemma too. My sister has a 5spd 1991 e30 32iX with about 175k miles on it. We first bought some Dinan stuff for it. Intake manifold, chip, exhaust and their Stage 1 suspension system. Car felt really lively after that Dinan stuff. Maybe not worth the money, as most people here piss all over Steve Dinan, but she likes it just fine. After a year or two, she got the itch to get a little more out of the car, and bought a Schrick 272 (with all new springs, hats, keepers, valve guides, etc...), and had some head work done. Porting and polishing of the valves, mostly.

One of the biggest things she's done, is to actually go out and go to driver's schools at our local (and some not-so-local) BMW CCA Chapters (GVC, DelVal, and NJ chapters). This has greatly benefitted her, and no doubt would benefit you too.

But, now that she's got 2 dozen days under her belt, she wants more (it's addicting). So, I've been looking into things, and have talked to some people about the feasability of more power from an iX. Basically, it looks as though turbo-ing the iX may be more of a hassle than the gain. Many people have wondered at the drivetrain's ability to hold up to the power/torque that a turbo delivers. We had some transfer case work done on her car a few years ago, and it beat her wallet to a pulp after all was said and done. And I would hate to see her transfer case go up in smoke........$$$$$$$.

So, I think that maybe the route to go is to have it stroked to either 2.7l or 2.8l. I've got a line on a set of pistons, and a crank, but am waiting for her to make up her mind about things before we go ahead with it.

As far as handling is concerned, the iX is a joy to drive on the track. The thing turns in very well, with just a little more weight transfer up front, but nothing too scary. You can go pretty deep into a turn with an iX. You can also put the power down a lot sooner when coming out of an apex than you can with a rwd car. It has the ability to grip like mad when you put R-comps on it.

I don't know about the turbo. I'm sure it has been done, but the amount of work that has to go into beefing up the drivetrain may be very cost-prohibitive to the average Joe. They're great cars no matter what you decide to do. Just make sure you check the diffs and the transfer case fluid levels often.

Comment

Wow your sister is awsome! Does anyone know what the front/rear power split in the ix is? Like is it 50/50 40/60 etc...

Comment

Anyways 3000 is a good price for a pretty clean 91 325ix coupe right? Atleast I can sell it for a profit right?

Comment

Originally posted by Over Boost
              IDK I know its not as easy as a RWD E30 but im reading mixed reviews. I know the RWD one is "more fun" with oversteer and all but in the end isnt AWD always faster?

I um, well, no.

I mean, I guess if you figure a heavier vehicle with more parasitic drivetrain loss and a worse overall weight balance to be faster, sure. That being said, yes the cars are tons of fun in loose surfaces, but in terms of dry weather performance, they're definetly trailing the standard 2wd cars.

-Charlie
              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
              FYYFF

Comment

Anyways 3000 is a good price for a pretty clean 91 325ix coupe right? Atleast I can sell it for a profit right?
                yeah. That's a great price. especially in light of stuff already done to it.

sell for profit? also likely.
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Wow your sister is awsome! Does anyone know what the front/rear power split in the ix is? Like is it 50/50 40/60 etc...

I think she's pretty cool too. The power split is 37%/63% f/r. And Charlie's right. While the iX is insane in poor weather conditions (with the right tires), they aren't nearly as fun in the dry as say a 325iS. They are heavier, what with the transfer case, and front diff, etc... The drivetrain loss is closer to 30% (or more?), but they still handle really well when properly set-up. I just think it would be a terrible waste if you were to turbo the iX, and then end up with a busted t-case, driveshaft(s), and whatever else. You'd most definitely have to part it, as the rebuild on a t-case and driveshafts/diffs would be regoddamndiculous.

Comment

power split is 37/63 f/r

there's a few people in the yahoo group '325ixclub' that have had turbo ix's in the past, you might want to talk to them. 13s are definintely a possibility with a turbo. there's a few that have done 11s as well, but they're usually crazy guys in europe with access to cheaper and more plentiful parts. The drivetrain gets bad rep but honestly I think most of it is due to neglect and ignorance. A better solution to shimming the front driveshaft is having the spline section lengthened, it's actually fairly cheap (especially compared to the price of a new driveshaft and gears).

As for handling, the biggest thing holding me back is the lack of aftermarket parts. You can get konis, which are great, but spring selection is limited (H&R sports is pretty much it). Coilovers are doable but you have to cut up your very expensive struts. No camber plates are available, but I think I have a solution for that (will post more on that later). You can use any E30's rear swaybar, but there is nothing for the front - the ix touring's swaybar is a little larger but just went NLA (why oh why did I have to wait, they were less than $150 new!). I got some adjustable front endlinks which helped a lot, but I don't think the guy who did them is making any more.

Currently I have H&R sports, konis, stock swaybars, offset CABs, urethane bushings, front strut brace and adjustable front endlinks. The weakest parts of my suspension are lack of front camber and body roll. It's been a long time since I've experienced understeer in my car, partially due to better driving, but also due to tires and a few other tweaks.

also, if you think the drivetrain loss is 30%.. well, I'd just have to LOL.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                      I um, well, no.

I mean, I guess if you figure a heavier vehicle with more parasitic drivetrain loss and a worse overall weight balance to be faster, sure. That being said, yes the cars are tons of fun in loose surfaces, but in terms of dry weather performance, they're definetly trailing the standard 2wd cars.

-Charlie
                      Charlie, AWD cars get AWESOM GRIP YO! DID'NT YO KNO>?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                        Charlie, AWD cars get AWESOM GRIP YO! DID'NT YO KNO>?
                        yeah, I hate that too. I always get people asking me if my car is faster than a 325is simply because it's AWD.. uhh, no? :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Blame the EVO 8 and WRX generation :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            Blame the EVO 8 and WRX generation :)

Who me.... nah I just watch a lot of top gear. Everyone knows the S.T.I.G plus AWD owns JOO! haha

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                              also, if you think the drivetrain loss is 30%.. well, I'd just have to LOL.

Well, instead of "LOL"ing, why not edumacate me? What is the drivetrain loss on an e30 325iX?

Comment

Working...
                              X