Anyone still follow their SI lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone still follow their SI lights?

I havent' followed mine for YEARS! Usually I have to drop the oil because I need to replace something in the engine (oil pan gasket, HG job etc.). That and I also dont' drive it anymore, means there's no use to really follow it

At this age, I'm surprised mine even works!
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

You're changing your oil pan or HG every 5k??
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

My inspection light has been on for ages.

Comment

Reset it!

Heres how:

jump pins 7 and 19 within the diagnostic connector using a paper clip
        google it if you have questions, you dont need a yuppie tool- takes more time to pop the hood and uncap diagnostics than it does to reset it-

Comment

I keep mine reset as e30vert describes. Resetting it "keeps me posted" on the condition of the SI batteries. I'm pretty sure good batteries are necessary for the cluster to function 100%. Can anyone confirm this.

Comment

I don't follow mine, but I reset it so it isn't on all the time

Comment

I take the lamps out when I first get the car, did the first one in 1985. They are completely useless.

Comment

They still work on all my cars. Never had a problem with lithium batteries.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Mine work just fine, and I have the dealer tool so it's no biggie to reset them. I use them as a general guideline for oil changes and just reset the inspection part each time.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Just saw this last week. Thought it was the coolest use for the SI board I've seen yet.

Comment

Is there anything wrong with just following them? I heard it takes into account your driving style: how much you've been pushing the car, how high it's been revved, etc. Doesn't seem like a bad policy to change your oil at yellow and reset it each time.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                        Is there anything wrong with just following them? I heard it takes into account your driving style: how much you've been pushing the car, how high it's been revved, etc. Doesn't seem like a bad policy to change your oil at yellow and reset it each time.
                        Of course there's nothing wrong with simply following it, but the E30 definitely doesn't have CBS...

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

mine works and i use it.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                            I doubt it. If it does, then something is wrong with mine. I punish my old girl, and it still takes 7500 miles to reach the oil change light.

I change every 5k Instead of the 7500 mile interval. 500k miles and still going!
                            Last edited by TurboJake; 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                            X