No announcement yet.

Plasti-dip to protect my dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

303 enough said already. Only an idiot would try what your thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
      303 enough said already. Only an idiot would try what your thinking.
      I already conceded a while back that I was happy to end the thread, but I must now defend my honor ;)

You guys are harsh. Idiot? I've been called a lot of things in my day but never that.

First, I truly appreciate the recommendations for some other products that could help protect my dash. I'll look into them.

However, nobody has given me any indication of the specifics of how or why Plasti-Dip would damage my dash. I've not found anything online saying their dash or other interior plastics has been damaged by the stuff, and I've seen some impressive images from people who have used it to repair dashes that have already cracked.

Is there something in Plasti-Dip that will leach into the vinyl causing it to discolor, harden, crack or become stinky? Will the Plasti-Dip somehow weaken the polymer bonds that keep the vinyl strong and flexible? Under what conditions would it not remove cleanly?

I've used the stuff before in non-automotive applications, but never on non-metalic surfaces.

On the other hand, the Plasti-Dip people seem to never miss a marketing opportunity. It would be reasonable to assume that if this would work, they would have been all over this already.

I'm new to keeping cars in good shape, but I've got considerable experience working with materials in unconventional ways. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'll look into it further, maybe do some controlled tests on a few sample pieces and report back here. If it looks like it will work, I might try it. If it destroys vinyl and kills baby kittens, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Or maybe I'll just forget the whole thing.

Comment

Did anyone welcome you to r3v yet? I assume not..

Welcome to r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post

Welcome to r3v.
          Ha! Thanks for having me...

Comment

Hmm would this protect my good oil pan?
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

imagine this stuff is on your dash for the next 5 years - in the sun, with moisture from the air, baking on there. now try to scrape it off and make it look like it was before.

this is like putting plastic sheets on your new leather couch so you don't ruin the leather. why not just get vinyl? why not just spray paint them with rubber? why have nice leather seats if you don't sit on them?

if your dash is truly mint, it's not going to be after this.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My dash had 2 little cracks in it near each end of the parcel tray, and last summer, I drilled a tiny hole at the end of each of them, hoping to stop them. I noticed the other day that one has advanced past the hole. So I'll likely be putting a dash mat on it for now (got one of the nice custom-fitted ones at the U-Pull-It last year for free, dude told me to just take it), and it really doesn't look half bad. But I've said since the get-go that if it cracked again, I was going to have it flocked. I'll probably have it done this winter, I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding a shop in the Portland area that could tackle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
                  My dash had 2 little cracks in it near each end of the parcel tray, and last summer, I drilled a tiny hole at the end of each of them, hoping to stop them. I noticed the other day that one has advanced past the hole. So I'll likely be putting a dash mat on it for now (got one of the nice custom-fitted ones at the U-Pull-It last year for free, dude told me to just take it), and it really doesn't look half bad. But I've said since the get-go that if it cracked again, I was going to have it flocked. I'll probably have it done this winter, I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding a shop in the Portland area that could tackle it.
                  Why not use a filler and blend in the dash with dye?

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

I know I know you're sick of people saying no, but the only things I spray on my own mint dash is vinylex or vinylize, whichever is closer on the shelf.

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
                    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                      I know I know you're sick of people saying no, but the only things I spray on my own mint dash is vinylex or vinylize, whichever is closer on the shelf.

I don't mind in the least. :up:

After sleeping on it, I've decided to put the idea on the back burner. Not because I think I'll damage the dash, but because some of the products mentioned in this thread sound like they might do the trick, and are easier to apply.

I might get an ugly cover thing for when my wife takes it out -- I know she won't bother with the sunshade.

The car isn't used much (mostly weekends or the odd errand) and spends most if it's time parked in the garage.

I wonder how it will react to its first northern winter. I'm going to store it when there is salt on the roads, but I have a bad feeling about what will happen when the cold weather hits and dash vinyl contracts...

Comment

BenDem, your mind is in the right place, so don't fret. However, your proposed remedy might not end up working as well as you would think.

I have two mint dashes, and I too worry about them aging and slowly becoming ruined. My feeling is to just do what I can now, feasibly/with minimal effort, and wait it out. I uses aerospace 303 regularly, and I use a sunshade whenever the cars are parked outside.

If time and weather take my dashes and ruin them, then I'll take them out and do something more drastic (leather wrap, plasti-dip them in black, frock, etc.). Until then, enjoy the clean dash you have, and do the small, simple things to protect it.

I've used plastidip on friend's cars (hoods, fenders, etc.), and while it may add a protective layer to your dash, I don't think it would look as good as you think it might. I think it would look significantly worse than how your dash sits now. So, what's the point of potentially protecting it if it looks like crap anyways?

I also agree with some other replies saying that there is almost no way you'll get good spray or roll-on coverage without taking the whole dash out. What if you crack it while removing it?
                        1988 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by BenDem View Post
                          I wonder how it will react to its first northern winter. I'm going to store it when there is salt on the roads, but I have a bad feeling about what will happen when the cold weather hits and dash vinyl contracts...
                          I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm in MA, no problems.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
                            Why not use a filler and blend in the dash with dye?
                            Yeah, no.

I'm WAY too damn anal and too much of a perfectionist to try something like that. The cracks are pretty small, but I'm not waiting for them to get bigger. I've always liked the way flocked dashes look, so it will be the perfect opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post

Welcome to r3v.

Lol... I don't really understand the whole being an asshole to people who don't know about something.. I try to be as helpful as I can and not be an asshole about it... And for the most part r3v guys are like that, but there's those few guys.. I don't get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by flyboyx
                              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                              Originally posted by Northern
                              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                                Hmm would this protect my good oil pan?
                                Make sure to apply 17 coats for extra protection.

Comment

Working...
                                X