Plasti-dip to protect my dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
    Lol... I don't really understand the whole being an asshole to people who don't know about something.. I try to be as helpful as I can and not be an asshole about it... And for the most part r3v guys are like that, but there's those few guys.. I don't get it
    R3v is like a fraternity. Gotta be inducted to the lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
      R3v is like a fraternity. Gotta be inducted to the lifestyle.

Haha. I guess so.. Lol r3v hazings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
      Originally posted by Northern
      beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
      Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
      Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
      '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
      Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
        Yeah, no.

I'm WAY too damn anal and too much of a perfectionist to try something like that. The cracks are pretty small, but I'm not waiting for them to get bigger. I've always liked the way flocked dashes look, so it will be the perfect opportunity.
        Lol?

You are perfectionist but don't want to use vinyl filler and dye? This is like saying you don't use bondo and primer

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
          Lol?

You are perfectionist but don't want to use vinyl filler and dye? This is like saying you don't use bondo and primer
          cut and weld all the way baby, do it once do it right :D

I understand. what he means is that even though it will fill the crack in, he'll notice it big time. I know how that is, part of my shifter console is sun faded and I can't stand the way it doesn't match.

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
            Lol?

No, it's actually not like that at all.

Vinyl filler won't match the texture of the rest of the dash, and use all the dye you want, matching the color exactly is impossible.

Comment

Lol... I don't really understand the whole being an asshole to people who don't know about something.. I try to be as helpful as I can and not be an asshole about it... And for the most part r3v guys are like that, but there's those few guys.. I don't get it
              This right here.

You dickheads know who you are. And guess what? Even your ball-swingers think you're pricks (they just swing there on your nuts like a chihuahua to the bulldog). You would never say those things to someone face to face. I know, this is the internet and if you get your feelings hurt then it's your own fault for not knowing that the internet is only for people who already know everything (and have earned the 'right' to be an asshole). If you asked these guys the question about the dash in person, I bet 99% would be helpful.

And the motherfucker that has enough balls, to speak to me in person the way that some of you do to these new guys, will learn a very valuable lesson.

This is what happens when there are no consequences.
              Last edited by Ether-D; 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM. Reason: added goodness
              Originally posted by Andy.B
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                This right here.

And you dickheads know who you are. And guess what? Even the ball-swingers think you are pricks (they just swing there on your nuts like a chihuahua to the bulldog). You would never say those things to someone face to face. I know, this is the internet and if you get your feelings hurt then it's your own fault for not knowing that the internet is only for people who already know everything.

This is our culture. Congratulations humans.

I've always thought about it like this.

They have nothing else better to do in their pathetic boring lives, that they have to bust your balls about everything you say or do that isn't 100% correct.

Now I think it's ok to poke fun at someone a little bit, but still help them out. that's not being an asshole, that's just teasing someone a little bit. As long as your not just giving them shit but not answering their question or asking them for clarification.

Whenever I run across one of those keyboard warriors I just blow it off.

how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

And to the OP: You took it well.
                  Last edited by Ether-D; 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM.
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This right here.

You asshole guys know who you are. And guess what? Even your ball-swingers think you're pricks (they just swing there on your nuts like a chihuahua to the bulldog). You would never say those things to someone face to face. I know, this is the internet and if you get your feelings hurt then it's your own fault for not knowing that the internet is only for people who already know everything (and have earned the 'right' to be an asshole). If you asked these guys the question about the dash in person, I bet 99% would be helpful.

And the motherfucker that has enough balls, to speak to me in person the way that some of you do to these new guys, will learn a very valuable lesson.

This is what happens when there are no consequences.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

To give my $.02, I wouldn't plasti-dip it.. Personally I find plasti-dip kind of trashy. I don't know what a flocked dash is/looks like, so I'll have to give it a look.

But hey, I just got a great idea! Get rid of the wife! That's solves all your problems :D :up:

Comment

This thread was over after nando posted.

Originally posted by blunttech
                        Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by BenDem View Post
                          I'm pretty sure I can get on there and have it look good. -- If I'm wrong, then I can peel the dip off the dash and look elsewhere. I'm cool with that risk
                          I'm about 99.9999% sure it's not gonna peel off as easily as you think. Go ahead and do it and let me know if I'm right.
                          Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          It's similar enough. And just because it says it'll rub off doesn't mean it will. Not without any damage.
                          Yeah this.
                          Originally posted by BenDem View Post
                          I already conceded a while back that I was happy to end the thread, but I must now defend my honor ;)

You guys are harsh. Idiot? I've been called a lot of things in my day but never that.

First, I truly appreciate the recommendations for some other products that could help protect my dash. I'll look into them.

However, nobody has given me any indication of the specifics of how or why Plasti-Dip would damage my dash. I've not found anything online saying their dash or other interior plastics has been damaged by the stuff, and I've seen some impressive images from people who have used it to repair dashes that have already cracked.

Is there something in Plasti-Dip that will leach into the vinyl causing it to discolor, harden, crack or become stinky? Will the Plasti-Dip somehow weaken the polymer bonds that keep the vinyl strong and flexible? Under what conditions would it not remove cleanly?

I've used the stuff before in non-automotive applications, but never on non-metalic surfaces.

On the other hand, the Plasti-Dip people seem to never miss a marketing opportunity. It would be reasonable to assume that if this would work, they would have been all over this already.

I'm new to keeping cars in good shape, but I've got considerable experience working with materials in unconventional ways. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'll look into it further, maybe do some controlled tests on a few sample pieces and report back here. If it looks like it will work, I might try it. If it destroys vinyl and kills baby kittens, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Or maybe I'll just forget the whole thing.
                          Marco said it best, welcome to r3v. No one's gonna be particularly nice to you but you get used to it. Ask all the stupid questions you want, but you'll make fun of you for it. Like one of my favorite (band) teachers always said, "play loud and make all the mistakes during practice. We'll just laugh at you and move on."
                          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

You guys are bunch of burning donuts oil leaking son of a gun.
                            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

That's just how things work around here. In fact, it has gotten a lot tamer in the past year or two. It keeps things entertaining, helps limit useless threads about things that have already been answered, and tends to moderate the type of modifications people do on their cars so we keep a certain level of style. Nothing bad about e30tech (they have a great FI section), but look at how slow everything over there moves compared to here.

OP: Just enjoy it until it cracks and then try something wonky. Whats the point of having a minty dash if you can't see the dash?

Intentionally ironic?
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Not at all ironic. I won't start a fight, but I'll finish one.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X