Bit of a rant, trying to get back into BMWs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a rant, trying to get back into BMWs

First of all let me say hello. I'm on R3v because i want to buy an e30 to get back into the BMW's.

Back in 2007 i went in search of an e30 and got sidetracked when i bought a beautiful 84 635csi (technically a 633csi, but it had a 91 535i engine in it). I loved that car but was too nice to be a winter driven car. Full M6 body kit, style 5's, eibachs, chipped, lowered, mint interior and zero rust. I stole it for $4K,

So i again went looking for an e30 as a daily driver when i came across an e34 530i Touring. $2700 later i had my daily. A 1994 Touring with a slushbox. 6 month later it was a 5spd as i abhore slush boxes. 6 months later the 3L v8 was swapped out for a 4L V8 making it one of a handful 5spd 4L M60 Touring. AC Schnitzer body kit, 9.5" Style 32 18" all around, lowered etc etc.

I did all the work, as thats half the fun.

Turns out i love that one just as much. Reason i invested so much time and energy is shortly after the Touring purchase the e24 was stolen while on vacation.

In 2008 the e34 caught fire from a leaking power steering hose and burned the engine bay down. Both cases insurance took good care of me but at that time i was getting into bikes. "Screw cages" i was telling myself. What followed was a complete separation away from the car scene and a line up of "meh" cars. A VW Golf *shudder, A 2001 Maxima (rust bucket), a 2002 Civic Si Hatchback (rev it to the moon!), and finally a Grand Cherokee Diesel.

I want to scratch my BMW itch again but it seems that in the time i was away, bmw prices have gone insane. $4k e24's are total rust buckets or in dire need of work. e30's people are throwing insane numbers out there. How can i take you seriously when you're asking $8K for basically a bone stock, suspension worn out, engine in need of a tune 318is or 325is.

I may just say screw it and buy an e34 M5, but dammit, there's something about e30's.

I hate overpaying for shit, especially when theres a perceived value that can evaporate overnight.

Am i going to go back to my history of looking for an E30 only to buy something else?

Where's all this influx of money coming from?

Am i just looking at the wrong time of the year? (starter shopping in October)

I'm also not looking for a daily. The plan was to either buy a turbocharged m20, buy a 318i and swap an m60 or buy someones already finished project.

Days of heavy wrenching on cars is over. 30's rolled around and *gasp, i have more money than time.

Anyways, hope you'll have me and take my rant with a grain of salt.

New to this scene, but I agree. E30 prices are insane.

Comment

The value of E30's have gone up quite a bit over the past couple years. It is still possible to find a reasonably clean stock car for $2-3k, but you have to wait and check the market extremely frequently. The realistic price of a clean stock E30 with low-ish mileage in this market is more than $5k.
      sigpic

Comment

I feel you. I paid a little too much for my E30, but not anything like what you're describing ($8k??? fuck!).

At least it wasn't a 911 you wanted. I was hoping to graduate to an older (70s) 911 someday, but I think that ship has sailed, given the prices they're selling at now.

The classic car market in general is insane right now. Everything is going up.

Comment

Markets are full of bubbles.

Comment

If you wait until all the drift punks crash 'em all and you'll be paying more for less.

Comment

Yea, the so called "drift tax"

Ugh...frankly i think its just the type of car. the RWD cars are a dying breed.

Whats worse is that i'm in Canada and will most likely have to import one from US. Not to even mention the slaughter that the CAD is getting vs the USD.

So whatever the price is in US, add 15% for currency exhange PLUS another 13% import tax + $400 in paperwork. Lovely.

I'm just looking at the e30 M3 prices and they are absolutely eye watering.
              Wonder when the e34 M5 prices are gonna start rising back again.

In 2006/07/08 the saying was "M5's are worth 20k, whether you buy one for 10K and do 10K in maintenance or get a 20K pristine car, you WILL pay 20k for it."

Comment

e30 tax

get an e28 m5

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

It doesn't help that you're in Canada.
                  Our E30 prices are higher then the states, and our cars have WAY more rust (specifically southern Ontario is brutal)

Took me forever to find a car that wasn't rusted through. I still overpaid for something that has a few rust holes, is autotragic, and needed complete suspension and brakes.

Here's a shot of my '86 325e parts car. Bought it thinking I could fix the small amount of rust that was apparent on it. Once I tore into it and saw how bad it was, I moved onto a different car.

Good luck, hopefully you can find what you are looking for!

P.S. - I'm local to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
                    If you wait until all the drift punks crash 'em all and you'll be paying more for less.
                    How is a continued decline in the number of cars going to drive their value down?
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Paying more for less would be an increase in value, but it is phrased confusingly.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        How is a continued decline in the number of cars going to drive their value down?

read it again. his phrasing is odd but he's saying if you wait, the drift kids will kill off more e30's driving the price higher and/or you'll be left paying a hefty price for a shit-box that's been slid into a few guard-rails.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Start looking out here in the west coast. Our cars are much less rusty, as we don't get winter like the rest of Canada. (rain mostly)

The prices are still higher than they were, but not excessive.

Look at Stanley Rockefellers car for sale. Iirc he is looking for $5k
                          Originally posted by codyep3
                          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                          2010 F650gs twin
                          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            Paying more for less would be an increase in value, but it is phrased confusingly.
                            Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
                            read it again. his phrasing is odd but he's saying if you wait, the drift kids will kill off more e30's driving the price higher and/or you'll be left paying a hefty price for a shit-box that's been slid into a few guard-rails.
                            Yep, you guys are right.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Red_liner740 View Post
                              I may just say screw it and buy an e34 M5, but dammit, there's something about e30's.
                              It's true, the prices people are asking are a bit insane compared to other "better" BMWs. Sometimes I'd like to sell mine and get something like a nice M3 or M5 but I fear I may never find another e30 like the ones I have for what I paid.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X