Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Do not mig weld in shorts.

Yes.......I did that. I should have known better being I've welded for 10+ years. That morning when I left for the shop all I had planned on doing was wrenching and some light tig for a buddy.....I ended up digging into my chassis and one thing lead to another and I started mig welding like a fool in the trunk area.

I wake up in the middle of the night when I move my legs and can't walk in jeans without nearly tearing up! haha!
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

sunburn?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        sunburn?
        Horrible haha! the wind blowing across my leg hair hurts!
        sigpic

Comment

I welded for a morning in a tshirt once. Never again.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Ouch!

I never wear gloves when welding as if you normally wear crappy cotton gloves like I do, the smoking hot little bits fall right through the cotton and get stuck on the skin... then the gloves prevent them from falling back out... SO no gloves is better for me...
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I once had a ball of hot slag go right through my shoe and onto my big toe. That sucked ass.
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                I once had a ball of hot slag go right through my shoe and onto my big toe. That sucked ass.
                When I was in the shop we did a lot of CJP welds. we had to carbon arc the backside to complete the weld. We were doing a job for a church with a cathedral ceiling so we had to CJP weld all the peaks. I had welded one side and had started back gouging the back side to finish. If you haven't seen the process look it up, it LOUD, and throws hella sparks/slag. I wore leathers head to toe, with this big thick-ass leather apron to protect my man bits.

I was sitting on a bucket, hood dropped going to town on this piece when a piece of the carbon rod broke off and landed in my lap on my apron. I didn't notice and kept on going. its glowing white hot, burns through the apron and hits my leg.

First reaction when something touches your junk region.....slam you thighs together. it seared through both pant legs into each thigh and got lodged.

Had to go to the emergency room......had to have the wounds scrapped 2x a week for 4-5 weeks after that.

screwed up my 3 year no accident record.....it was a bad time.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                  When I was in the shop we did a lot of CJP welds. we had to carbon arc the backside to complete the weld. We were doing a job for a church with a cathedral ceiling so we had to CJP weld all the peaks. I had welded one side and had started back gouging the back side to finish. If you haven't seen the process look it up, it LOUD, and throws hella sparks/slag. I wore leathers head to toe, with this big thick-ass leather apron to protect my man bits.

I was sitting on a bucket, hood dropped going to town on this piece when a piece of the carbon rod broke off and landed in my lap on my apron. I didn't notice and kept on going. its glowing white hot, burns through the apron and hits my leg.

First reaction when something touches your junk region.....slam you thighs together. it seared through both pant legs into each thigh and got lodged.

Had to go to the emergency room......had to have the wounds scrapped 2x a week for 4-5 weeks after that.

screwed up my 3 year no accident record.....it was a bad time.
                  Ok. You win. Lol!
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                  Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                  Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ouch!!!!!!!!
                    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                    Originally posted by roguetoaster
                    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Some pictures to capture how crazy it can be!

sigpic

Comment

I've learned over the years to crouch instead of kneel when welding stuff on the ground or close to it.

You'll do a bit of dancing if you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                          I've learned over the years to crouch instead of kneel when welding stuff on the ground or close to it.

You'll do a bit of dancing if you don't!
                          Yup I try to stay on my feet at all times.....and don't wear chucks....that canvas doesn't do shit against sparks haha!
                          sigpic

Comment

Haha "sunburn". One day I was welding a heavy duty end dump together, and somehow my undershirt was pulled down enough to expose my neck down to the collar bones. Was doing a 20ft stringer overhead in a really awkward position and by the time I was done all the exposed skin was literally RAW. As in juicy, bubbly, and oozing plasma. It was the worst burn I have ever experienced.
                            So I started wearing these:

Keeps metal shavings and grinding dust out of your neck and ears, sparks and spatter bounce off it, and best of all, prevents your neck from getting fried.

Also, you can hold a blow torch to it for 3 minutes and nothing happens. When you're not wearing it, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
                              Haha "sunburn". One day I was welding a heavy duty end dump together, and somehow my undershirt was pulled down enough to expose my neck down to the collar bones. Was doing a 20ft stringer overhead in a really awkward position and by the time I was done all the exposed skin was literally RAW. As in juicy, bubbly, and oozing plasma. It was the worst burn I have ever experienced.
                              So I started wearing these:

Keeps metal shavings and grinding dust out of your neck and ears, sparks and spatter bounce off it, and best of all, prevents your neck from getting fried.

Also, you can hold a blow torch to it for 3 minutes and nothing happens. When you're not wearing it, of course.
                              HAHA! Man I've had similar. When I first started working here I had no idea how intense the arc from high amperage dual shield flux core was.....wore a cutoff sleeve shirt......burned the shit out of me shoulder, bicep and forearms. After that warming long sleeves in the Nebraska summer heat wasn't so bad!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                                anyone got experience with miller's multimatic? i've been thinking about replacing my hobart with one since i want a tig but don't want to sacrifice more room in my garage with more stuff
                                Little late to the party. Just finished 13 pages good stuff going on here!

Using a Miller mutimatic for a couple of years now. I use it mainly as a MIG welder and it does a great job very smooth. Don't have a lot of time with the TIG or stick funtions but, have tried them out and again very smooth. As you probably know the TIG is DC only so no AL. If you don't need the portability and already have a nice MIG, might be hard for me to justify the cost. The huge plus of the millermatic is the portability (50 lbs. or so) and being able to stick weld when MIG just won't get it done is huge but rarely needed.

Came across this a while back:
                                Brew Bikes LLC 828-406-6668 Phone & Text. brewdude@brewracingframes.com BREW is a registered trademark and NO images or use without written consent.

Please take the time and read this guys story or just do not use brake cleaner or any other automotive spray. It can produce phosgene gas and just four parts per million is no good.

JH
                                HIK Fab

Comment

Working...
                                X