What would be the best street/dd setup imaginable?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jasonbk
    replied
    How does X brace change the driving feel on the street? Also, what kind of interior improvement would you make to make it feel more stable, less ratty?

    I'm now trying to get rid of gas off jerk - probably get new transmission mounts and see what happens.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bothfeetin
    replied
    If comfort is the goal I think suspension wise then,
    Struts: Bilstein HD's
    Springs: H&R Sports/ Vogland
    Sway bars: Suspensions technique 22 / 19 & HD sway bar links
    X brace

    Wheels & tires play a vital role in the quality of the ride. The more side wall the more cushion thus retarding the response or "feel" the driver gets from the road. The same could be said about what seats or steering wheel you have. There comes a point when the "ideal" ride quality manifest into because race car...

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    1987 325es with hr sports, bilstein sports, on a 15" rim of your personal preference, and delrin bushings in the shift linkage. Everything else new.

    I've owned most e30 versions. I absolutely loved my 87es. It was my favorite e30. RIP. An old man took it out with an unexpected lane change out of the left turn lane while I was driving by.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    We're talking about suspension here, so...

    Mine.

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    This is basically my setup, but I have some firmer stuff (IE3 / H&R Race & Bilstein Sports, then the Vert/ iX combo). My bushings are firmer too, but solid rubber would make it super plush.
    i am an old fucker, but personally, i think your springs are too stiff/harsh to be a good daily.

    i am a fan of billies. i have a set on my cabbie but my springs are h&r cabrio on the front/e36 sport on the rear. people say that the koni's are much better dampers. they certainly cost more. i had them on the car in my sig when i first got it but i don't notice much difference.

    changing the bushings to something slightly stiffer is a great idea.

    another thing not yet mentioned in this thread: go with 15 or 16" wheels so you can run a 50 or 55 series sidewall. this will make for a smoother ride.

    above all else, avoid treehouse cab's and adjustable camber plates that don't have any flexible material in them. my cabby is running stock m3 control arm bushings and the oem offset upper strut mounts. its a little stiffer than stock, but i really enjoy the car's ride. we drove it from houston to denver back in apirl and even my wife didn't complain.

    also, if your steering rack/control arms/tie rod ends are original, replace them. this will make a huge difference in the steering. my car seriously handles like a go cart. the steering is so precise.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 11-04-2015, 05:51 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jasonbk
    replied
    Those are all nice setup guys, I'm surprised that so many people would run the E30M3 springs with Koni's. IS Koni softer than Billstein Sport?

    What would be the benefit of beefier front & rear sway for daily driver other than less body roll?

    I've done:
    - put rebuilt m20
    - fresh shifter bits
    - rebuilt 4.10 lsd
    - new control arm, E36m3 cab, front sway bushing, front sway bar ends
    - rear rubber subframe bushings
    - new cv joints

    What I want to do:
    - MAF
    - clean up TPS, ICV, TB
    - custom tune to accommodate my 288' cam
    - new driveshaft
    - rebuild G260
    - front subframe bushings
    - rear sway

    Leave a comment:


  • totheredline
    replied
    I've had a bone stock early ETA and a highly modified 318is. Stock 325e is such a great car. That car is to blame for my obsession with these cars. The b27 is fun but I think I'd build a DD with an m42 for fuel economy and fun.

    -1991 318i
    -Rebuilt m42 with Volvo fan
    -good condition stock interior
    -refreshed stock suspension
    -3.73 lsd (instead of 4.10)
    -14 inch weaves with all weather tires.
    -manual trans of course!!
    -nice head unit and good speakers

    Yeah, pretty much stock. Like I said previously, stock e30s are awesome. Plenty of fun for the morning commute.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    This question is kind of my goal with my car, so this is what I've done:

    E30 M3 springs
    Koni SA dampers
    Fully upgraded R134a system with Sanden compressor
    Rebuilt 415 injectors
    Cleaned/lubricated TB
    All new intake/brake booster rubber
    New cap/rotor/wires/NGK plugs
    Upgraded headlights and back up bulbs
    Premium sound
    Leather comfort interior
    Sf gadget guy cup holder
    Maplight mirror
    All lights/switches/motors/sensors/actuators functional
    Quality summer wheels/tires and separate winter wheels/tires
    LSD

    Things I ultimately plan to do/wish I could do:
    Complete brake job with new calipers/hoses/rotors/pads/shoes/cables
    All new bushings
    New delrin shifter linkage (and E60 shifter?)
    Reseal engine
    Rebuild gearbox
    Rebuild diff
    Replace driveshaft/CSB

    I think that's pretty complete, and even with what I've done already the car is a kickass DD.

    Leave a comment:


  • jhaurimn
    replied
    I have vogtland springs and kyb shocks on my daily. Looks great, handles spirited driving pretty well, and is very comfortable. Didnt notice much change going from oem shocks and springs in ride comfort.

    Leave a comment:


  • goarmy
    replied
    H&R sports and KYBs if of a budget they work fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by ak-
    E30 M3 springs or H&R Sports with Koni's
    E30 M3 sway bars, or Vert front and iX rear bars
    This is basically my setup, but I have some firmer stuff (IE3 / H&R Race & Bilstein Sports, then the Vert/ iX combo). My bushings are firmer too, but solid rubber would make it super plush.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    E30 M3 springs or H&R Sports with Koni's
    E30 M3 sway bars, or Vert front and iX rear bars

    Leave a comment:


  • rlich8
    replied
    1991 318iS with Metric Mechanic 2100 Rally engine, R134A conversion, Z3 short shift kit & ZHP knob -- all else 100% original.

    Leave a comment:


  • jasonbk
    started a topic What would be the best street/dd setup imaginable?

    What would be the best street/dd setup imaginable?

    Few weeks ago I replaced both rear subframe bushings - what a difference! Rear end used to be bouncy and hard over bumps but now it's smoother, quieter, and the small clunk that happened every shift disappeared.

    So it got me thinking. What would take to build best daily driver e30?

    I believe the dd should be soft and quiet, but solid enough to be tossed in without too much body roll. I'm a big believer of using rubber bushings all around, some swear by dynamat, some would say beefier front & rear sway with cross brace. Maybe even fresh driveshaft and rebuilt G260?

    Just wanted to hear what you guys think.
Working...