Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely aggressive.I see the typical water in the fogs. Reminds me I have to reseal my factory fogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Old city bimmer; 12-31-2016, 01:30 PM.
    sigpic
    323i MTEC1
    Z3 coupe
    E60 M5

Comment

Chris Janssens in the Netherlands posted these incredible pics of his all original 320i Mtech1 convertible. I'm so sold on the body color bumpers now! Glad I have the original set I can prep and paint.

Now just need to get motivated to prep the parts. I have a body/paint guy so set there. Still planning to get things ready in time for The Vintage.

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 11:39 AM.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I love the body color matched bumpers, they look great. I am leaving my chrome just because it fits my theme better, but there is no denying that car looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Wolfe
        sigpic

Comment

I had both set of bumpers and eventually I sold the colored bumpers. I really agree that it depends on the color of the car. However, That vert looks pristine.
          sigpic
          323i MTEC1
          Z3 coupe
          E60 M5

Comment

It's a great choice to have. A little sport or a little class?

Mr. Wolfe
            sigpic

Comment

Hello all!

New to the forum and as I recently bought a 1987 325i Sport M-Tech 1 I have searched the entire web for info and stumbled in to this thread and thought I should show you in what condition I found the car and hopefully be able to show you how it looks after I have restored it!

I couldn´t make it smaller so here´s a link to picture at Dropbox:

Comment

This

Color bumpers update the look but its color dependent to pull it off imo.

The contrast of shinning chrome just pops and gives it a more vintage authentic look.

Usually these things are painted to prevent rust. For me, its always been an afterthought. If it were me, assuming your bumpers are good, I would think about sourcing some used bumpers and painting those in case in the future, you just want to change things back. Like most, like everyone perhaps....you always want to change it up.

I am not a chrome type of guy, but somehow, the chrome euro just work for an E30. Both looks would work on your car.

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                I had both set of bumpers and eventually I sold the colored bumpers. I really agree that it depends on the color of the car. However, That vert looks pristine.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                  Color bumpers update the look but its color dependent to pull it off imo.

The contrast of shinning chrome just pops and gives it a more vintage authentic look.

Usually these things are painted to prevent rust. For me, its always been an afterthought. If it were me, assuming your bumpers are good, I would think about sourcing some used bumpers and painting those in case in the future, you just want to change things back. Like most, like everyone perhaps....you always want to change it up.

I am not a chrome type of guy, but somehow, the chrome euro just work for an E30. Both looks would work on your car.
                  I am not a "chrome fan" either, never have been. With that being said, I think it definitely has it's place.

Mr. Wolfe
                  sigpic

Comment

I think chrome looks great on the early models, especially the euro bumpers with mtech1. Best looking e30s imo.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

agree. I go back and forth though, not just with the chrome but with adding all the mtech1 to begin with. I love the clean euro look, with chrome. But I dig the mtech1 look too. So I'm making sure I can try both, and that I can switch between them if need be.

I originally had a set of OEM bumpers on my vert, but the re-chrome job I had done was terrible. Picked up an ECS front kit and some rear reps from Italy that are on the car now.

I'm definitely painting the OEM bumpers as part of the mtech1 build. also need to decide about shadowlining the window and top cover trim, maybe by wrapping to start since the trim is expensive and hard to swap out without damaging. I should probably get some photoshop going
                      Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 11:42 AM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        agree. I go back and forth though, not just with the chrome but with adding all the mtech1 to begin with. I love the clean euro look, with chrome. But I dig the mtech1 look too. So I'm making sure I can try both, and that I can switch between them if need be.

I originally had a set of OEM bumpers on my vert, but the re-chrome job I had done was terrible. Picked up an ECS front kit and some rear reps from Italy that are on the car now.

I'm definitely painting the OEM bumpers as part of the mtech1 build. also need to decide about shadowlining the window and top cover trim, maybe by wrapping to start since the trim is expensive and hard to swap out without damaging. I should probably get some photoshop going

Bradnic - Your car looks great! I like the clean look of the euro bumpers without the M-Tech1. Tough choice tho.

My e30 is a Burgundrot, quite similar. Because of this thread, last year I decided to convert mine to M-Tech1. I'm looking forward to that. Last week I just got the front valance/panel; not a 772 but a 770. The 772 I ordered through BMW about 8 months ago hasn't arrived yet and they can't tell me where it is or when its coming. That combined with the number of well documented miss-labeling I decided to secure that 770 and have a shop cut the holes. I'm still in the hunt for the last piece, a rear spoiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7790.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	7189816

Comment

I prefer chrome because a) nice chrome bumpers are somewhat rare these days b) they match the center grill and the side trim on the early E30's c) good condition early euro bumpers are too expensive to simply paint over and they are 3pcs. Painted early euro bumpers look lost and you forget they are even euro bumpers. Mind as well get a one piece rep bumper and have that painted, IMO. With the M tech 1 kit, there's just enough chrome showing and they look great with or without the kit so if you were to remove the kit or sell the bumpers, the car and the bumpers would still look great. It's definitely a classy look. I realize the factory painted them but I think it makes early models look more like late models.
                          Last edited by reelizmpro; 01-16-2017, 03:37 PM.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Dammit Barry. Must..resist.. will stay the course and try painted + shadowline mt1

I'm (un)lucky enough to have a set of euros with a crappy plating job. Can't just be reasonable and sell them to someone else! Even talked myself into replacing the rest of my chrome with new bits and shadow line the old stuff..

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Factory M Tech 1

I had a factory 88 Mtech 1 vert ( wish I still did ) imported from Germany. It had shadowline trim and painted euro bumpers, euroweaves, etc. I have pictures if you want to see I can send in pm; don't have a photo host service.
                              PK

Comment

Sweet.. you have pm.. happy to post for you here

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X