Trying to decide between S52 or Turb0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide between S52 or Turb0

As the title states, Im trying to determine whether an S52 or a turbo would be the better option for my late model sedan.

I daily the car now and it is pretty reliable as is, Im looking to make some more power though. I know with a low boost(10 PSI) turbo setup i could make close to 300 HP, however N/A power sounds nice also, even though it would be very expensive and difficult to get an s52 to 300 hp lol

I'd like to drive the car most days but wont be my only daily. Would still like this to be reliable.

Give me your opinions R3V, Thanks!

M60.

Comment

s52. then turbo.
      sigpic
      @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
      Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Turbo if you like tinkering around.
        S52 if you just an upgrade.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
          s52. then turbo.
          my nigga

Originally posted by blunttech
          Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

euro s50 ��
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by j.rizo View Post
              s52. Then turbo.
              +1
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

S52.
                Easy. Reliable. Fun.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                #teamross
                Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

I am personally a HUGE turbo guy.

With that said; I have a good buddy who's got a stripped, S52 coupe. The first time I rode in it was INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it was from being in the passenger seat and having no control of the car myself, or just how quick it felt ripping the roads behind his shop apart, but my asscheeks hurt the next morning from being puckered up so tightly during the ride along. Not even being funny. My ass hurt like I was doing some new-fangled ass workout off of a DVD the night before. Thing was soo raw. Hadn't had a rush like that in a long time. I literally went and bought my current e30 the next week so I that I could build it to get that "high" back.

But i'm a turbo guy...

Comment

N54

Comment

S52, even though you can make 300 HP turboing your M20, I wouldnt call a reliable solutions. The S52 stock will be plenty fast in the E30 and much more reliable. Also the acceleration will be more linear and easier to play with.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The s52 is such an underrated swap. It puts out an easy 215-220 whp in stock form.
                        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                        KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                          The s52 is such an underrated swap. It puts out an easy 215-220 whp in stock form.
                          How is it underrated when everybody wants and or has them?

If theres any underrated swap that would be the M30 in my opinion.
                          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

It's not underrated. It just has less power than an s52 and gets way worse gas mileage. That's why it's cheaper. Since the time and energy is the same, most people prefer to spend a bit more money.

M30 swaps are more unique though. And they look better. I'm not a fan of the plastic valve cover of the s52. It looks good in an e36, but way out of place and awkward in an e30.

If I were to do a 24v swap into an e30, http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-325i...o6VKBg&vxp=mtr this manifold would be mandatory.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                              Yeah? Most dyno reports I've seen are in the 205 rwhp range. But 240+ rwhp is easily attainable with bolt ons.
                              Instagram
                              sigpic
                              Current: 99 M3
                              Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Working...
                              X