This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
    the is isn't getting much love. has a laundry list that needs sorting and an owner looking for big bucks regardless. gotta be the 4th time i've seen the m3 listed with the exact same pics on different sites in the last 3 months.

edit: think the m3 was on consignment and the dealer bought it to sell for themselves. he was looking for north of 100k the last time, or at least claiming it should be in that neighbourhood.
    The fact that the owner of the 325is won't put on a $10 antenna grommet is concerning. "oh it's never leaked" yeah okay. So when you washed it for the pictures, the water just magically deflect from going into the trunk?
    90 Bronzit 325is
    16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I talked to the guy who bought the 1989 318i Touring https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...18i-touring-6/ (I sold him my m40b16 and remains from the m52 swap). He says that the PO wants to back out because the car has a later m42 swapped in by another previous owner. He says that he wants to avoid import issues from EPA. My sense is that the $7700 sale price is part of wanting to back out. That is more than anyone in the EU would have given him.

Comment

It would be nice to know if the Port really enforces the no engine swap rule.

It just seams hard for all of the inspectors to know what engine every car originally came with.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
          It would be nice to know if the Port really enforces the no engine swap rule.

It just seams hard for all of the inspectors to know what engine every car originally came with.
          It shouldn't matter at all. At worst, one might be required to have the car emissions tested and show that it complies with or betters the standards for the year of manufacture of the model year of the chassis.

This would only be an issue in any case if the car were to be impounded in port, which is not a bad thing necessarily, just a random annoyance which generally does not, but potentially could, cost the importer anything additional.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

It shouldn't matter at all. At worst, one might be required to have the car emissions tested and show that it complies with or betters the standards for the year of manufacture of the model year of the chassis.

This would only be an issue in any case if the car were to be impounded in port, which is not a bad thing necessarily, just a random annoyance which generally does not, but potentially could, cost the importer anything additional.

This is NOT the info I got from the EPA. They told me that if the engine was swapped, you would have to do an expensive emissions test that the car would not pass. They said it would not pass because it would be required to pass the CURRENT Year emissions standards. No M42 will do that.

I think the real question is whether anyone at the Port would be diligent enough to notice that the engine had been swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post

I think the real question is whether anyone at the Port would be diligent enough to notice that the engine had been swapped.

wondering the same. especially as the swap has the same number of cylinders.

Comment

So, read the following and see if it applies to a swap: "code E - vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is
                either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible
                for this exemption unless the replacement engine is the same model as originally installed, or an engine with any aftertreatment from a certified vehicle no
                older than the one being imported. Customs may require proof of vehicle age."

Comment

So, read the following and see if it applies to a swap: "code E - vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is
                  either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible
                  for this exemption unless the replacement engine is the same model as originally installed, or an engine with any aftertreatment from a certified vehicle no
                  the swapped engine was manufactured during the same time and fitted to the same vehicle chassis.

Comment

I can’t see port officials noticing the difference between an e30 and e36 M42, and that is assuming that the later M42 isn’t just running the e30 inlet manifold. If so, then there are no obvious differences between the two engines.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

M20-Powered 1974 BMW 2002 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending October 25 (Lot #88,538) | Bring a Trailer

This one is a bit fun. I remember Terry putting this car together. It sold on BAT last year and it looks like a flipper cleaned it up a bit more for the current listing. Littel annoying, but understandable.
                      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I agree that it seems to apply. Unfortunately, the interpretation that I got from the EPA didn't agree with what we think.

It looks like it's subject to interpretation by the individual at the port.

Has anyone imported a car with a swapped engine and can enlighten us to what happened?

Comment

1987 325i Convertible
                          Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1987 BMW 325i Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #88,802.

1988 325i Touring
                          Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325i Touring 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #88,773.

1988 325iS
                          Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #88,983.

1991 Turbo M50 Swapped 325i
                          Bid for the chance to own a SEMA-Exhibited Turbocharged M50-Powered 1991 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #89,078.

1990 325i
                          Bid for the chance to own a 1990 BMW 325i Coupe 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #89,196.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That B6 is going to skew the non-M e30 BaT graph quite a bit.

175k! wowza.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Duce View Post
                              That B6 is going to skew the non-M e30 BaT graph quite a bit.

175k! wowza.
                              haha luckily I have Hartge & Alpina in their own section... and todays still was a huge outlier
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

1991 318i Convertible
                                Bid for the chance to own a 26k-Mile 1991 BMW 318i Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #89,386.

1989 325iX
                                Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325iX Coupe at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #89,401.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X