Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see any out of line comments in that auction.

The seller didn't do much to instill confidence for the buyers. To many "we know what this car is worth" type comments.

Also interesting the seller noted a serious bidder inspected the car in person and found it flawless. Where was that persons bid if they liked the car so much?
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I agree that there weren't many out-of-line comments and I'm glad I didn't pay attention to that auction or I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue.

Seller's first comments are about the car being in the family for 30 years (the implication being they were the first owners) and the car being "detailed and washed weekly even without use." Then it's 28 years (second owners) and "washed and detailed each 6 months" because it's stored in a bubble. But if it's in a bubble, why does it need a cover?

Whoops, we forgot about the rear bumper and rear quarter being repainted and BaT's copy about a repaint is completely wrong. Oh, and the interior's been done (and after extended storage, mind you).
      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
        Did anyone else notice how the peanut gallery just torpedoed that red E30M3s auction?
        That was a really nice one owner car that had some paint work and the clownshoes gallery of nitpicky experts just really jammed that auction up.

That site just pisses me off, I love old 'Merican muscle cars and I look in on lots of cool old muscle auctions, the fucking nitpicking in those is insane. Beautiful old 1st gen Camaros getting roasted on the most inane things.

OK just had to vent on that.
        Im may be in the minority, some people seem to think thats the good part of BAT, but man I just want to start physical fights with some of those people.
        You aren't the only one. Agree with you 100%, as usual.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

The worst part is all the nitpickers don't have even enough money in the bank to fuel in these cars let alone bit on them.
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
            The worst part is all the nitpickers don't have even enough money in the bank to fuel in these cars let alone bit on them.
            Sometimes I wish the chat was for bidders only, but then people would just throw up Bs bids to get their idiotic comments in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
              Sometimes I wish the chat was for bidders only, but then people would just throw up Bs bids to get their idiotic comments in.
              Nothing like a bunch of jokesters posting idiotic comments to spoil the auction.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

What gets me is that there is no consistency. If we're there to point out facts - "hey I see overspray here" or something like that I think it can be helpful, but a simple mandatory PPI for every listing would go a long way to make the buying experience better and make the evaluation more consistent. Much better than some dude on his couch squinting at a laptop...

Plus, the expectations just seem to be all over the place. I feel like some people want a 30 year old car to be as it was when it left the lot. If it's not, that's cool, every car has a price but no reason to bash it.
                Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                  Nothing like a bunch of jokesters posting idiotic comments to spoil the auction.
                  Idk if this was targeted at me or...

Comment

I think they need to adopt something like what StockX does. You bid on an item, if you win it gets shipped to StockX and they confirm it is what the seller says it is, then the funds are cleared to the seller and your item is shipped to you from StockX.

Perhaps BAT should invest in hiring local talent to inspect cars BEFORE listing them to ensure everything is on the up and up. That way they don't get these bogus auctions that are just a waste of everyones time.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

I think they need to adopt something like what StockX does. You bid on an item, if you win it gets shipped to StockX and they confirm it is what the seller says it is, then the funds are cleared to the seller and your item is shipped to you from StockX.

Perhaps BAT should invest in hiring local talent to inspect cars BEFORE listing them to ensure everything is on the up and up. That way they don't get these bogus auctions that are just a waste of everyones time.
                      That would work, but I think BAT would ask for more money to pay for that whole process.

I’d be okay if it smoothed out the process between buyer and seller, usually it’s easy but sometimes it’s not.

Comment

Escrow.com does the same thing. Bought my E60 M5 thru them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                          Plus, the expectations just seem to be all over the place. I feel like some people want a 30 year old car to be as it was when it left the lot. If it's not, that's cool, every car has a price but no reason to bash it.
                          What I care about is consistency in the seller's stories. The seller of the red M3 was all over the place- and I'm not sure if it was intentional or accidental.

PPIs hurt business for BaT. If they offered it, they'd be competing against themselves- their best interest is for the car to sell for as much as possible.

I have inspected a car on BaT for a client in the past. The seller was truthful but not entirely honest- his pictures downplayed the severity of some damage and certain aspects of the driving experience were not really included. The repairs would have been simple but expensive.
                          1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                            What I care about is consistency in the seller's stories. The seller of the red M3 was all over the place- and I'm not sure if it was intentional or accidental.

PPIs hurt business for BaT. If they offered it, they'd be competing against themselves- their best interest is for the car to sell for as much as possible.

I have inspected a car on BaT for a client in the past. The seller was truthful but not entirely honest- his pictures downplayed the severity of some damage and certain aspects of the driving experience were not really included. The repairs would have been simple but expensive.

I can see the consistency issue. I think the major flaw about relying on a seller to disclose/describe issues with the car is that it is so subjective. One persons bad driving experience is fine to another. One persons great paint job is garbage to another, etc. At least with a PPI it is someone with some experience and skills doing a non-biased evaluation. For my BAT auction I had a PPI done for $150 and the guy came to my house. It would be great if BAT encouraged that because it would help protect their brand. At this point I'm leery of buying any cars off the site without seeing them in person. I've seen too many poor purchasing experiences. But heck ya I'll sell there to get the BAT premium.
                            Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              well, the ad says it sold and the buyer didnt come through

and we've got another one....

1990 325i

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-325is-27/

Any guesses on how much this will go for?

14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1991 M3
                                Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #16,669.
                                Attached Files
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X