m60 vs s52 vs ford 5.0 vs LS1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brezzi
    replied
    I'm still stuck on the M60. I think its the one - I like the idea of a fast non-M engine in a non-M e30. Also I like the idea b.c my favorite BMW racers from when I started getting into cars (early 2000's forward) have v8's.

    If I ever got the opportunity to swap an e46 M3 I'd put a s62 in there.



    The poll results are very interesting. I work at a data driven job and when you have splits like we have here across 47 (currently) different respondents you get a real sense of the general consensus. Being that there is none except that the 5.0 is a waste of time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Streichholzschächtelchen
    replied
    The answer is always m30, with boost.

    Leave a comment:


  • stonea
    replied
    I'd definitely keep the motor BMW, and if you're after practicality then S52 wins. However personally I find them extremely over done (but theres a reason for that). My vote is for the M60 swap because why not?

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    I have no hate for the LSx or non-OEM swaps, but to me the entire point of a BMW is the engine. Thus the "Motor" in Bavarian Motor Works.

    S52 is the least pain in the ass by far, has better aftermarket than the M60, and it will get you to 250whp pretty easily while being more reliable. It seems like the most logical choice, which is also why it's one of the most popular swaps.

    Leave a comment:


  • whitebulat22
    replied
    Looks like RHD released an M60 flywheel for a great price, had I known that was coming I probably wouldn't have started hoarding m20 parts!

    I think M60 over LS, but only for E30s. There is a small weight difference in the engine and transmission that matters more to these cars than others. I don't mind a 40-60 lb hit in an E36 for a potential one or two hundred more hp. But 300+ hp is all an E30 ever needs, a stock M60 will last way longer than anyone will ever own the thing, and you can do it WAY cheaper when you go the 5 speed route.

    I personally prefer hot M20s over S52s and chose to go that route, but both fit perfectly in the thin E30 unlike any V8 option- no headers too close to anything, no issues running any steering racks, access to anything that needs to be fixed etc. I would probably really like the S52 if they didn't write ///M Power on it, but that really bugs me which may or may not be why I'm voting M60. It may also just be the noise those things make.
    Last edited by whitebulat22; 10-18-2016, 12:00 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I'm not going to talk about the 24v. But of the V8's, LS no contest.

    Even a 5.3 LM7 (270hp/315ftlb) would probably get you there(especially after intake/exhaust, or worse case throw a cam in it) and the local Upull yard is full of GM trucks/vans and charges $300 for a whole engine, so the only big cost is the transmission assuming you want a T56.

    Sure if you're not in N.A. or are some sort of "BMW engine onry" purist, then the M6x makes sense, but otherwise fuck that based on aftermarket alone.

    Leave a comment:


  • f4tj0n
    replied
    I love my S5x.

    Leave a comment:


  • dougie30
    replied
    if you do the chain guides on a m62 it will be reliable. that is the weakest point. with garagistic doing there thing, the m60 swap is almost bolt in...

    the only down fall to those motors is the bolts ons. slim to none.

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    M/s6x should be very reliable if maintained.

    Leave a comment:


  • supermansocks95
    replied
    Yeah, I was brand loyal to an extent. I wanted to go 24v or something similar when my engine goes, but I was thinking. I've heard of way less issues with ls motors than BMW motors. My desire for more power and reliability is greater than my desire for brand loyalty.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin
    The way I look at it, is a BMW powered by anything else is no longer a BMW. I would go M60 for sure because German V8s are so unique.
    I suppose the dividing line here with LS swaps has a lot to do with brand fans vs non brand fans. I tend to like cars based on their individual merits and personal appeal to me and have little brand loyalty. If you like BMWs and not just a few of the cars they've made you're less likely to like the idea of an LS swap. To me it doesn't matter what the badge says, the car is all about its characteristics so I tend to favor improvement (subjective or objective) over purity. I'd rather drive a well sorted and LS swapped 325e sedan over a numbers matching all original M3 Sport Evolution.

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by Brezzi
    I still am not in love with the LS. Its too expensive (compared to other options) and the purist angel on my shoulder (not a large voice but its there) doesn't like it.

    I think I'm sticking with my initial gut and going with m6x when its time.
    Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin
    The way I look at it, is a BMW powered by anything else is no longer a BMW. I would go M60 for sure because German V8s are so unique.

    Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk
    these are my sentiments as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • SGT StudMuffiin
    replied
    The way I look at it, is a BMW powered by anything else is no longer a BMW. I would go M60 for sure because German V8s are so unique.

    Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Brezzi
    replied
    I still am not in love with the LS. Its too expensive (compared to other options) and the purist angel on my shoulder (not a large voice but its there) doesn't like it.

    I think I'm sticking with my initial gut and going with m6x when its time.

    Leave a comment:


  • supermansocks95
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    LS1 by far.
    Lighter than a Ford 5.0
    Smaller, more robust and more powerful than an M60
    Not even comparable to an S52 which is a little bit lighter but comparatively anemic in the power and torque department and quite expensive to get good power out of.

    There's a reason LS1s are so damn popular as a swap, nothing even comes close to the being as well rounded as an all-around package
    -small
    -relatively light
    -pretty powerful stock
    -loads of torque
    -easy to make big power
    -giant aftermarket
    -robust
    /thread

    Leave a comment:

Working...