m60 vs s52 vs ford 5.0 vs LS1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    LS1 by far.
    Lighter than a Ford 5.0
    Smaller, more robust and more powerful than an M60
    Not even comparable to an S52 which is a little bit lighter but comparatively anemic in the power and torque department and quite expensive to get good power out of.

    There's a reason LS1s are so damn popular as a swap, nothing even comes close to the being as well rounded as an all-around package
    -small
    -relatively light
    -pretty powerful stock
    -loads of torque
    -easy to make big power
    -giant aftermarket
    -robust
    Agree, wholeheartedly.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    LS1 by far.
    Lighter than a Ford 5.0
    Smaller, more robust and more powerful than an M60
    Not even comparable to an S52 which is a little bit lighter but comparatively anemic in the power and torque department and quite expensive to get good power out of.

    There's a reason LS1s are so damn popular as a swap, nothing even comes close to the being as well rounded as an all-around package
    -small
    -relatively light
    -pretty powerful stock
    -loads of torque
    -easy to make big power
    -giant aftermarket
    -robust

    Leave a comment:


  • Zacm829
    replied
    M62 swap gets my vote. Not much more expensive than the s52 just more fab work. Stock m62 chipped should be close to 300whp with some bolt ons. Or you could opt for the m60b44 which would still be relatively inexpensive.

    Leave a comment:


  • supermansocks95
    replied
    Originally posted by Brezzi
    I've kind of ruled out LS since I wana get this done in under a year and wouldn't be able to cover the cost. At least with me being somewhat responsible haha
    Lol that's very true. They are expensive to do, but the power to weight would be amazing... If/When my m20 goes on my cabby, an LS swap will probably be in the works. My dad really wants to do it as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick's e30
    replied
    Maybe I can help. I can speak to having driven all of these, having helped install 3/4 and putting 2 in my personal cars. I'll start on the American side.

    I did a 5.0 swap and in the end I hated it. Sure, you'll spend a lot of time figuring out the typical swap things (gauges, exhaust, clearancing, etc; expect that). My real complaint is if you plan on any serious track duty, the oil pan cuts necessary to fit the motor lower the reservoir size so drastically that unless you plan to use a dry sump or secondary sump, you'll pop the motor. I contributed to a fairly lengthy thread on this swap in the V8 section.

    The LS is fun and feels nice in an e30 out of the box, especially if you spend a few more bucks and can find a donor GTO with an LS2. Sikky figured out most of the hard stuff as far as mounts, and it was fairly straightforward to install, again, aside from usual banging and fitting.

    I have an S52 car currently. It is absolutely my favorite. It made 220 wheel and is more than enough power (I also have a convertible). You need heads to get beyond 250, but intake, injectors, good headers and exhaust and a cam will get you real close. The install is like fitting legos and can be surprisingly cheap after you sell your stock parts (my out of pocket was less than $1,000).

    It was a long time since I've been in a v8 e30, but I remember having a stupid grin on my face getting out of it.

    I'd go S52 if I were you. They're so great.

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    ive seen low mileage cammed ones get to 250whp when tuned correctly get around 250

    Leave a comment:


  • Brezzi
    replied
    Originally posted by digger
    S52 with a few bolt ons and call it a day
    what bolt ons though? I thought I'd need head work to get 250+ whp on a s52.

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    S52 with a few bolt ons and call it a day

    Leave a comment:


  • jpod999
    replied
    Lots more fab work involved in a 32v swap versus the 24v! I voted m6x just for my own sanity's sake.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brezzi
    replied
    I've kind of ruled out LS since I wana get this done in under a year and wouldn't be able to cover the cost. At least with me being somewhat responsible haha

    Leave a comment:


  • supermansocks95
    replied
    LS swap, only because I don't like ford, and those chevy v8's can definitely hold their own.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Brezzi
    Anyone think they know they easiest of the v8s to swap? I'm guessing its between 5.0 and m60 b/c Kershaw you're right all the LS e30 swaps I've seen look pretty tight. Most likely 5.0?
    Probably the m60. I have a friend with a 5.0 e30 and the drivers side exhaust manifold goes towards the front of the car, around the motor, and then joins the passenger side to head back. No other way to clear the steering column. AFAIK, with the m60 (and LSx), you can run the exhaust straight back, no shenanigans.

    Easiest of all is the s52, of course.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brezzi
    replied
    Added a poll for the hell of it

    Leave a comment:


  • mbonder
    replied
    Only way to get easy power out of the m60/2 motor is a supercharger. Other than that you'll be spending a bunch of money on motor work.

    I think it's the way to go if you want stock power though, not as much fab as LSx motors but more power/torque than s5x motors. You'll be lucky to see 250whp with an s5x motor and that's with some serious money invested if you're still NA power.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brezzi
    replied
    thanks guys - honestly went into this a little jaded and wanted to go with the m6x. Just wanted to see if there was any solid arguments for the american's or the s52.

    Anyone think they know they easiest of the v8s to swap? I'm guessing its between 5.0 and m60 b/c Kershaw you're right all the LS e30 swaps I've seen look pretty tight. Most likely 5.0?

    Leave a comment:

Working...