Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No stroke/hate thread on Griot's E30 M3 3dr Touring SEMA demo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want more info on that M60 swap!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

I like it, looks fantastic.

My only criticism is the choice of an M60, seems to not fit the theme of this car, versus an S54/S52, etc

Comment

I like it.

That being said, being it was an iX wagon to start, it was probably rusty as all hell..

My buddy and I were talking about importing tourings and he brought up a good point. In Europe, theres a good chance it was driven in the winter or back roads in the soggy country. So it's probably going to be a rust bucket underneath..

That being said, even if it wasn't rusty, I dig it.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I wouldn't be too upset about them using an ix touring. They actually made quite a lot of them - IIRC more than the ix's they brought to the states.
          Oh I was unaware of that, I was under the impression that the combo of iX and Touring made it particularly desirable.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
            I really dig this!

then again, i like almost anything that's a "shooting brake" version of an original, incl the 1800es
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              then again, i like almost anything that's a "shooting brake" version of an original, incl the 1800es
              mmmm hmmm

And in defense of the pillar, and 2dr wagons in general, some factory examples:

'65 Chevelle

TE72 Corolla

Nissan Sunny

Vauxhall Chevette (yeah, that Chevette, not so stigmatized in other markets)

1957 Pontiac Safari

1958 Mercury Voyager (didn't realize this was a model at first, eff it, this is what they looked like)

Don't even laugh, RWD, cheap bolt-in turbo power, rack & pinion, easily tucks tire while remaining driveable, best in class handling for the era.

Not even gonna bring the Vega/Astre/Sunbird wagons into this, yeah they were RWD and should be cool, but I owned one and although I love the look and driving feel, they are truly among the shittiest of shit cars ever made.
              sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

pinto is pretty crappy too. i had a wagon when i was growing up.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Why no VW Fox in that group?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

P1800

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
                    -Peter
                    '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                    '91 318is slicktop project
                    '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                    '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                      Who's got the alpine weiss M3 on airbags? The wagon looks very cleanly excuted.
                      Not the car you are referring to, but your post reminded me of Mike's white touring.

Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Why no VW Fox in that group?
                        I've liked 2dr wagons for so long that as a kid when they were new I thought the Fox was cool AF. Still have a sales brochure in my collection from childhood. I would have included one if not for wrong wheel drive, and it doesn't have any sort of extra pillar. And good luck finding a picture of a tastefully modified one.

My 2dr wagon love is passed down from my Dad, he's never owned one but always liked them.
                        Last edited by Vincent Brick; 11-03-2016, 12:02 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

looks really good except the wheels mainly due to the colour
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                            I've liked 2dr wagons for so long that as a kid when they were new I thought the Fox was cool AF. Still have a sales brochure in my collection from childhood. I would have included one if not for wrong wheel drive, and it doesn't have any sort of extra pillar. And good luck finding a picture of a tastefully modified one.

My 2dr wagon love is passed down from my Dad, he's never owned one but always liked them.
                            theres a few that are slammed with custom made coilovers
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Touring

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              -not stanced/slammed
                              -no hideous rocket bunny widebody kit
                              -no polished lip wheels
                              I approve. It looks cool.
                              ^^^^^^^^ I agree

Comment

I happened to be at SEMA last week, and had a chance to look over this car, as well as talk to the guy from Griot's there with it.

It did indeed start as a touring, onto which they swapped coupe doors and OEM M3 fenders. They modified the rears a bit to fit the late-model tail lights, and of course the pillars to fit the new doors. Engine bay looked quite clean.

Below are a couple shots I managed to get of this car, as well as a couple other E30s (and one interesting E36).

Comment

Working...
                                X