BMW Motorsport Product Idea - Feedback Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW Motorsport Product Idea - Feedback Requested

I've been working with a very resourceful and talented partner to get a new product to market which we're hoping many of you would appreciate enough to buy: BMW Motorsport - not BMW M - roundels.

For those of you with short attention spans, we're talking about a pair of these:

These are E30 and E28 specific kits with the correct front and rear roundel geometry, though the front roundel will work on any BMW Motorsport vehicle ever made from the M1 to the cars currently in the showrooms.

This is the BMW Motorsport roundel which was used in the early days of BMW Motorsport in the era of the E9 CSL, E26 M1 and the E30 M3.

The colours used are the original BMW Motorsport GmbH colours from back when they were still partnered with Castrol and the middle stripe was purple to symbolize that partnership. BMW Motorsport GmbH was renamed to BMW M GmbH in 1993, and the middle colour was changed to a dark navy blue. The thin borders around the colour segments and the BMW text itself will be chrome.

Perhaps most importantly, unlike earlier vinyl sticker or enameled metal offerings, these will be produced in injection moulded plastic to better than original equipment quality, will have a dimensionally perfect logo, perfect colour reproduction, and will not deteriorate like past efforts have. All for under $100 U.S. for a set! ;D

Your feedback through the poll at the top of this thread is greatly appreciated. :)
    I'm not interested.
    17.95%
    I'm interested, but not enough to commit to a purchase yet.
    43.59%
    I'm willing to buy a set immediately, especially at a group buy price.
    38.46%

Hope it happens. I gave up looking for these a long time ago.
    89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
    99 540it
    86 Volvo 240 wagon
    99 Cherokee
    13 Passat

Comment

Shut up and take my money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gart View Post
        Hope it happens. I gave up looking for these a long time ago.
        Believe me, this isn't a pipe dream. Production is already lined up, and in the United States at that! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
          Believe me, this isn't a pipe dream. Production is already lined up, and in the United States at that! :D

I don't see you having a problem moving these. I'd probably be in for two sets if I could make it work on the e39 wagon. I'll have to compare them tomorrow. I'm going with the motorsports theme in the bays of both cars so it would tie it all together nicely.
          89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
          99 540it
          86 Volvo 240 wagon
          99 Cherokee
          13 Passat

Comment

Would you also be making steering wheel inserts? Will there be anything else, or is it just the 2 badges?

Comment

I'm pretty sure Guten had these also but doesn't anymore. I've been wanting a set for a while
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'd buy a set as soon as I could. I need them damn bad.
                Hank Ahrens
                1984 Alpine Coupe
                1978 911sc

Comment

I voted not interested. Not because I think they are a bad idea, I just think they will look good only in particular situations.

It's like with the CF Roundal's and other custom stuff, it will look cool in the right use. Unfortunately, I forsee a lot of people just slapping them on their car and say "check out my customization, yo!"

It's a double edged sword for you, if you are putting the money in to production, you want to get a decent return and sell a lot (I'm not against that), but if everyone and their brother starts rocking them, then they could get played out. Obviously, you can't control or probably don't care how people use it, but food for thought.

Didn't see if you mentioned if this was going to be a limited run. If you only ran a small batch at a time (maybe 50 or 100 every other year.) That would probably help over saturation...

...Or just get dat $$$ :devil:
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

You already know I'm in for them! Love the idea of the steering wheel roundel mentioned above too.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Appleseason View Post
                      Would you also be making steering wheel inserts? Will there be anything else, or is it just the 2 badges?
                      At the moment we're keeping it limited to the main roundels. These have never been made correctly, whereas there are good options for steering wheels still available if you know where to look.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I'm pretty sure Guten had these also but doesn't anymore. I've been wanting a set for a while
                      Those were actually a cloisonné enameled metal, and while beautiful, they suffered from catastrophically bad durability when mounted on a car. That's why they're no longer on the market.

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                      I voted not interested. Not because I think they are a bad idea, I just think they will look good only in particular situations.
                      These are primarily intended for BMW Motorsport produced cars from 1972 through 1993. The production run will be limited by design, but the custom tooling required for the injectiom mold alone was several thousand dollars, and the intent is to keep the group buy cost comparable to factory parts with even better quality.

If we were just targeting the upper end of the market they would be produced with molded in colour at the $175 - $200 per set cost level. I didn't want to make them that inaccessible.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                      You already know I'm in for them! Love the idea of the steering wheel roundel mentioned above too.
                      I'll keep you updated. :)

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. ;)

Comment

I've seen these kind of replicas on everything BUT the cars they were intended for including later model E36's, etc. I think they are too retro, even for the M3 but to each his own. I think it's cool that you are bringing these to market though.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i'll take 2 sets
                          16 GT3RS
                          16 GT4
                          05 M3
                          88 M3
                          90 Mtech Touring
                          89 Touring
                          91 325i

Comment

I'd have to see pics of the actual product before I'd consider buying a set. The surround would definitely have to be chrome metallic, not the gray in the mock up.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

I will buy a set. Would you also please consider making some for steering wheels and 50mm varieties?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              1991 325i 4 dr Euro Spec, 5 Speed, 4.10 LSD, Slicktop

Comment

Working...
                              X