Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the E30 318is a fun driving car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
    Wait what?

I thought this would make the car quicker to respond?

I really like my 4-cylinder and this thread is kinda making me reconsider my M52 swap...
    He's trying to say that a turbo kills responsiveness, and while that is true just a little bit with the normal piping required it's also true that a properly sized turbo setup doesn't change it much.

FYI, a light FW is the best fun mod you can do for your M42, not that it really makes the car faster overall.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Sadly, both of those are debatable. The smart cookies took the 2.3 Lima turbo instead, which was probably the right choice.
      Sadly, one of the first motors I ever rebuilt was a 2.3 Turbo. Though, to be fair, it was in a '79 Mustang. It looked great (still wish I had that car) but it was draw through carb style.. Needless to say, I am not surprised that Ford didn't sell many of the early turbo Fox Body 'stangs before the SVO in '84.

Crap - now I have to look on the interwebs for a '79 Mustang hatch.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        Sadly, one of the first motors I ever rebuilt was a 2.3 Turbo. Though, to be fair, it was in a '79 Mustang. It looked great (still wish I had that car) but it was draw through carb style.. Needless to say, I am not surprised that Ford didn't sell many of the early turbo Fox Body 'stangs before the SVO in '84.

Crap - now I have to look on the interwebs for a '79 Mustang hatch.
        Don't know about you guys, but I still love the old Ford 5.0 V8. The sound of a naturally aspirated V8 is just awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
          Haha, ironic isn't it? An E30/M10 is not a fun car, but a little hotrod M10 in a 2002 is such a fun combo... go figure.
          Ha yeah it is. I had an 84 318i with a 5 speed and it was much more bearable. The automatic just sucks out any life the M10 has.

It's also hilarious that a lot of crazy BMW F1 engines were based on the M10 :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
            the m42 engine is a blast to rev out, and the car is lighter-weight by a considerable amount from the factory. the longer second gear ratio, combined with the factory LSD short ratio 4.10 really makes the car "quick" and "fun".

The weight distribution is the same as a 6 cylinder e30, but the lighter weight front end is easily noticed, especially with power steering disabled.

The engine uses a progressive type throttle body that allows for great fuel economy while cruising, but still soem oomph when floored. My m42 e30 is lightened up about 200lbs, has a few bolt ons, and is faster than both of my 325is's (both of those are stock).

Everyone is quick to hate on the m42 but it really is the baby m3. The m42 is the most technically advanced engine ever offered from the factory in the e30, even more so than the s14.

with an engine chip and a lightweight flywheel the 318i/318is late model is almost every bit as good as 325i - you just wont have the torque down low. the m42 is also easier to work on than a m20, in my humble opinion... though both are super easy anyways.

get one!
            all of this

I've owned both and the 318is is not that much slower than a 325i that it matters. The M42 motor flat out is a much better motor than the 6cyl 325i.

The two cars are different experiences. The 325i is a tank compared to the 318is.
            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
              the M42 motor flat out is a much better motor than the 6cyl 325i.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                Haha, ironic isn't it? An E30/M10 is not a fun car, but a little hotrod M10 in a 2002 is such a fun combo... go figure.
                Well they used the M10 very early in the 2002's all the way into the 80's on the bigger/heavier E21 and then on the even bigger/heavier E30. So we're talking about virtually the same 100HP engines having to move bigger/heavier bodies. They kept that engine around a long long time. Furthermore, the 2002 guys benefited from the later M10 development such as EFI conversion, etc.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Well they used the M10 very early in the 2002's all the way into the 80's on the bigger/heavier E21 and then on the even bigger/heavier E30. So we're talking about virtually the same 100HP engines having to move bigger/heavier bodies. They kept that engine around a long long time. Furthermore, the 2002 guys benefited from the later M10 development such as EFI conversion, etc.

And along the way they nerf'd the engine when they went efi by dropping compression ratio and losing engine size from 2.0 liter to 1.8

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

To be fair, they were trying to meet the ever changing emissions standards. The M10 was a rock solid motor and you still see people abusing them in competition..
                    Last edited by djjerme; 05-19-2017, 07:54 AM.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                      all of this

I've owned both and the 318is is not that much slower than a 325i that it matters. The M42 motor flat out is a much better motor than the 6cyl 325i.

The two cars are different experiences. The 325i is a tank compared to the 318is.
                      I couldn't agree less. Again, just my opinion. I was so excited when I drove my first 318is long ago, but was so let down, and have been ever since. I think a stock-ish m20 iS, with good suspension and exhaust is a fantastic driving experience in any environment, while a 318is in any configuration is only fun when you can really fling it around at its limit. Which is a pretty lame thing to do on the street. That said I'm considering picking up a nice 318is from a friend right now... but would be tossing the M42 quickly.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I thoroughly enjoy my m42. I've got a 4.27 diff though so getting into the fun rev range is super easy. Definitely wish I had a few more horses but honestly I keep up with people pretty well in a short race, and that's with a slipping clutch too.

A turbo is in my future at some point. Already have a lower milage m42 I'm building on the side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        '91 318is
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                          I couldn't agree less. Again, just my opinion. I was so excited when I drove my first 318is long ago, but was so let down, and have been ever since. I think a stock-ish m20 iS, with good suspension and exhaust is a fantastic driving experience in any environment, while a 318is in any configuration is only fun when you can really fling it around at its limit. Which is a pretty lame thing to do on the street. That said I'm considering picking up a nice 318is from a friend right now... but would be tossing the M42 quickly.
                          as another person said, what makes the 318is truly fun is an engine swap.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            as another person said, what makes the 318is truly fun is an engine swap.
                            Or this

Actually, I never once thought my daily driven 318i needed it, but intrigue made me try it. It's still a work in progress, but I'll report back if/when it returns to daily driver form.
                            sigpic
                            January 2012 COTM

Comment

Is that a Downing Atlanta SC, Robert? How does it run? Selling? ;)

-NICK

Comment

Drove a 590HP 2010 Shelby GT500 around all day today - got home and took the E30 for a spin. It felt slower than usual, haha. Driving feel was no comparison though.
                                1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Working...
                                X