524td Give me the lowdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

524td Give me the lowdown

I'm looking at a 524td for a commuter has 400k on it no rebuilds, all maint. done though,

It needs a new driveshaft, u joints and a center bearing, anyone have a lead on these parts used- anyone? I'm looking for good deal.

Give me input on the advice on the car in general

From what I gather a 528e auto driveshaft and a 524td are the same so anyone with a lead a a super cheap 528e driveshaft hit me up, hell a 5spd tranny and driveshaft, with pedals and everything would be killer too.
    E30 325ix 62k

Not really worth it. High miles, not super great MPG, absolut lack of parts if something goes and it will at 400Ks. If you want economy, 528e gets close if it is in good condition. Otherwise, I would advise against td.
    '96 328is
    '97 m3
    '04 zhp

Comment

take his advice.. but take the turbo/manifold/crankshaft and put them on a i engine :)
      m106 1990 e30
      e36 daily
      e32 cruiser

Comment

the crankshaft is crap (overpriced, heavy, uneccesary), as are the manifolds. stay away..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the flow as good as straws.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Thanks I was interested because my wife needs a commuter,guess a 325e or 528e will work better,

the car is $500.
            E30 325ix 62k

Comment

318is over an eta!!

Comment

Jesus man what are you thinking getting a 400k car as a "commuter". Itd be one thing if it was a project fun car but that thing is going to crap the bed and leave you stranded left and right, regardless of BMW reliability.
                Back to my roots

Comment

I've got a line on a 91 735i that needs a new tranny, its pretty fucking clean. Its just sitting down here at Bobs Imports (where I am working now) I'm thinking about picking it up, but I have too many fucking cars as it is.
                  I'm holding out to see if he will just give it to me instead of getting it towed back to his house, but he said he would take $500 for it.
                  Stop by sometime and check it out/ say whats up.

Comment

I loved my 528e so much. I still cry to this day.

'88 325is
                    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

if its got Digital Diesel Electronics (DDE) the parst like the injection pump and the stand alone diesel ECU are VERY, VERY expensive, and after 400K on the motor, im willing to say that those parts are close to their life expectancy, if not past them. check to see if there is a throttle linkage. if not, Its all controlled electronicly and very hard to find and expensive.

But it does give great MPG. i get around 600-650 KM on a 55l tank. in my touring.

Comment

I'd get a lower-mileage 524td, or if you're really sold on a diesel (sorry guys), get a Mercedes 300D or 300SED (their S-class diesel) from the mid-80s. Those things run forever.

Or, do what was suggested and get a 528e. No matter what diesel you get, maintenance will always be more expensive than a gas car.
                        1988 325ic Automatic

Comment

Working...
                        X