325e vs 325i driveability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which car would you say has better driveability? (i.e. which one goes up steep inclines more easily?) I already know the 325i is faster in sense of 0-60 time, but I tend to keep my revs in the 2k-3k range for day-to-day driving. The 325e engine has much better low-end torque (170 lb*ft at 3250 RPM vs 167 lb*ft at 4300 RPM for the 325i), which I would equate with better driveability, but its also geared much taller than the 325i, which probably kills rear wheel torque. For all intents and purposes, I am referring to stock examples of both cars.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Well, considering that both cruise at different RPM, both have different gearing and powerbands (depending on the rear end ratio), so I'm not sure if there's a real answer here. Perhaps you are asking which one will climb a steep hill in 5th? If so, neither, but the 325i might feel more strained hill climbing in a lower gear as it will be turning more RPM.

Having had both I'd say that I enjoyed the gearing setup in a manual 325i more than a 325e, but neither lack poke, and both will handle regular driving with ease.

Comment

I prefer the 325i or 325is models but I also have 325es which is fun to drive as well. You will love driving an e30 whatever you choose.

Comment

Honestly you'll be downshifting either car to go up steep hills. Stock e30s aren't that powerful to begin with..

Eventhough I have 4.10 gears in my 325i. I'm still going down into 4th on steep hills on back roads. Now on the interstate and i hit a mountain, i can stay in 5th. But at 70mph I'm turning 3600+ rpms.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

If you’re keeping your revs up, definitely the i motor. An eta can be decent if you swap the rear gear, but it’s kind of tedious with the stock diff.

The big thing is this: The tall geared eta is going to float down the highway better. The short geared i is going to drive around town a lot better. What are you after?
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

i have a 323i 5speed, but i still have the 3.45 diff in it. Sits on around 2500 on the highway. It has enough power to be fun, but the longish ratio makes it very nice cruising along as well. the 325e and 325i are more powerful than mine so youll be right. e30 weighs nothing, id wager there is no worries driving them around highway or not regardless of what engine is in them (except for maybe that m10...just how slow is an m10?)

Comment

Someone once said that the e30 is a momentum machine and I tend to agree. At least in stock form.

My stock ‘iS’ is fine around town and the freeway for the most part.

However, it takes a bit of work to get back up to speed after a slow poke gets in front of you at cruising speed. This happened to me recently on a trip to Sedona on a mountain pass. It was the only time I wished for more power.

Okay okay, maybe not the only time I wished for more power. But I do love my little m20 though. She pulls hard for the mileage she has.
              90 Bronzit 325is
              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

If you want more low end torque and drivability than either, with similar other characteristics and sound, then M30B35 swap all the way.

Fuel economy is a little sobering, but not that much worse than a 325i.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  If you’re keeping your revs up, definitely the i motor. An eta can be decent if you swap the rear gear, but it’s kind of tedious with the stock diff.

The big thing is this: The tall geared eta is going to float down the highway better. The short geared i is going to drive around town a lot better. What are you after?
                  Mine is a gem with the 3.23 Torsen. I am seriously tempted to swap in the G260 I have sitting in the garage, but I told myself to swap that in along with the M20 I plan to build
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

All about diff ratio, assuming stock-for-stock. 3.73 vs 2.93 is probably going to make the biggest difference
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i have one of each. the i is for sure beefier and faster all around but the eta is a perfectly fine car. drives around town with some pep and cruises the highway nicely.
                      the sad part is they are both autos (not for long though) the i will finally get a manual in 10k miles when i replace the timing belt and head gasket and the eta will get hers when i scratch up some cash in the late fall.
                      both are dailys.

that being said, i use the gears in the 325i auto like a manual a lot of the time. the getrag is a monster and will not break. i've been working that fucking auto hard for the last 18 years hoping it will shit the bed so i can get the manual...nope.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      '90 325i sedan daily driven
                      '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                        that being said, i use the gears in the 325i auto like a manual a lot of the time. the getrag is a monster and will not break. i've been working that fucking auto hard for the last 18 years hoping it will shit the bed so i can get the manual...nope.
                        I usually put the car in 'S' (3rd / no overdrive) around town, and dump it into D when I finish merging on the freeway... I might have to try this approach :devil:
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The 4 speed auto is a ZF 4HP22. Getrag makes the manual 260.

I've had both and wish I still had the auto. It's the only time I don't remember hating a slushbox.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

The slushbox’s effective lack of first gear kills it for me.

For an old auto it’s surprisingly responsive.

That said, stick all the way. I’m waiting for my friend to clear his lift, then i’ll be swapping our “new” iX later this summer.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rmdashrf View Post
                              The 4 speed auto is a ZF 4HP22. Getrag makes the manual 260.

I've had both and wish I still had the auto. It's the only time I don't remember hating a slushbox.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
                              thanks for correcting me there. soon i will have a getrag260 between her legs...
                              i have zero complaints about this auto except for the fact it will not stop working perfectly...lol
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              '90 325i sedan daily driven
                              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                              X