Don't Run Platinum Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Run Platinum Plugs

I think this should be a sticky, i see everywhere people talking about putting platinum plugs in their car, or that they are running them.

If your car is running kind of bad, check to see if you are running these plugs, my car came with them, i installed more of the same, car still ran bad. I searched and came up with a handful of people saying they can't be ran on most BMWs. Well, they're right! I don't know why. I took them out, put in copper core wires and it made a noticeable difference, car ran much smoother, powerband was smoother, and a little more low end torque was felt.

i've had platinum plugs in my car for over a year now with no problems.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Switch to regular plugs, they're like $8, it'll make a difference. Someone said the M50s can take them, but most (namely the m20) doesn't like them.

Comment

i got to run to town today anyway, what brand would be the best?

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
          Switch to regular plugs, they're like $8, it'll make a difference. Someone said the M50s can take them, but most (namely the m20) doesn't like them.
          I think its the +2's and +4's that don't run good on M20s, because I've run plenty of sets of both copper and platinum (normal) plugs in various M20's (very healthy ones) and they all run the same.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

From my reading, they seem to run okay at first, but begin to foul stupid fast. I know when i switched it did make a difference, idled a little better, revved a little smoother, felt a little more stout in the low RPMs.

I'm just running Autolites, paid $8-$9 for all 6, i've heard you can get the Bosch ones for around $1 a pop, but Autozone was closed yesterday, Wal-Mart was it.

From what i've read around the forum, i'm not the only one that had trouble.

Comment

I've never fouled a plug in 6 years of ownership.

Most autoparts stores (local at least) don't sell Bosch Copper plugs anyways, and the Platinums are only a couple bucks more.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Wow, you totally just convinced me with that thread.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Recommended plugs for E30 325i/is/ix:

Bosch W8LCR
                    NGK ZGR5A

Comment

WR9LS or WR8LS in M30s, They also don't like Platinum plugs.
                      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Platinum plugs suck. The PO of one of my past Corrados used a set of Bosch Platinums to escape replacing the $15 OEM plugs (Bosch W6DPO plugs are stupid $$$). They fouled within a month of me owning the car.

E30 OEM coppers, on the other hand, are cheap as hell. Why risk idling issues among other things while paying more?

Comment

i just changed the plugs and took it for a ride, i did not feel a diff. i had the reg. platinums, not the 2,3,or4 prong ones.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                            i just changed the plugs and took it for a ride, i did not feel a diff. i had the reg. platinums, not the 2,3,or4 prong ones.

What'd you put in?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                              Odd, any increase in gas mileage? I got a few MPG. I was averaging about 19 and it bumped it up to around 22.

Comment

Working...
                              X