E46 M3 People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 People?

My parents are at the end of E24 ownership, and my mom wants a new car... Her only rule is no clutch pedal, otherwise she does not care....

We were originally looking at 330Ci's from 2005 - 2006, however they are too common, and the automatic tranny is pure rubbish.

We are looking at 2001 - 2002 SMG M3's now...I've driven an 02 SMG M3 and it did fairly well. I'd never personally own one but the automatic mode seems acceptable, and she only drives about 10 miles a day.

I know rod bearing recall issues, I know software issues here and there, and I know the E46 Suspension very well, but is there anything else?

This is also to complement my Mtechnik-1 328IS and my Dads Porsche 914/6 project car...

Basically we always want a car to tear up on the track, even my moms :p.

Soooo what's your question? You want a car to tear up? Buy a 850r wagon.
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
      Soooo what's your question? You want a car to tear up? Buy a 850r wagon.
      Its gonna be a BMW, and the SMG M3 is the only thing that meets my moms criteria (coupe, fast, sporty, etc)

Mainly a question if anybody knows any popular problems with these particular early model cars.

Comment

Door seals, like all 2 door E46s.
        Oil pan gaskets are common on S54s.
        Window regulators, like all E46s.
        Final stage unit (aka fan resistor), like all E46s.
        P/S hoses, like all E46s.

Thats all pretty minor though. The oil pan can be a bitch if you're new to them, but the rest of it is all easy stuff. All in all they are pretty solid cars.

Also be aware- they are quite expensive to service. Brake parts are big $$. Special oil is $10/liter. Even spark plugs list for almost $30 a piece.
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Good list so far, but you forgot my hands down favorite one. The sunroofs on E46s seem to break if you look at them wrong. Replacing a casette on one is ~7hrs of labor since you have to pull the headliner. Check that carefully.
          sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
          Current:
          1988 325is S52
          Former:
          2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
          1988 M5
          1996 328is

Comment

I have a 2005 E46 M3 that I bought brand new. It is a regular driver and has done many laps around the Nurburgring when I was stationed in Germany. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comment

Excellent, I'm fine with all those issues, part costs don't bother me at all, and nothing MAJOR seems to be listed.

Comment

i've been driving a m3 vert with the 6speed all week, very nice car i love it, this weekend i belive i am getting to tryout a 04 m3 smg coupe, i will let you know my thoughts on it
                Originally posted by blunt
                and remember, just because you like to suck cock, it doesnt make you gay

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
                  Door seals, like all 2 door E46s.
                  Oil pan gaskets are common on S54s.
                  Window regulators, like all E46s.
                  Final stage unit (aka fan resistor), like all E46s.
                  P/S hoses, like all E46s.

Thats all pretty minor though. The oil pan can be a bitch if you're new to them, but the rest of it is all easy stuff. All in all they are pretty solid cars.

Also be aware- they are quite expensive to service. Brake parts are big $$. Special oil is $10/liter. Even spark plugs list for almost $30 a piece.
                  $30 a piece for spark plugs!!!!!???? Are they using formula 1 plugs? Even Porsche doesn't do that to it's customers - my fancy 4 tipped 993 plugs are a 1/3 of the price, list.
                  1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                  2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                  2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                  2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                  1988 BMW 325is x2
                  1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                  2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Everything adam said and also, ive driven numerous smg equipped m3s as I work at a dealer and once those things get some mileage (60k+), even though you arent shifting manually, ala smg shifter, you cant tell by the sounds they make that it is starting to get sloppy.
                    sigpic

Comment

For someone that is used to driving an E24 have your parents considered an E39 540i?

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
                        For someone that is used to driving an E24 have your parents considered an E39 540i?
                        She wants a coupe, we looked at 540's for awhile though.

Comment

IMO the early SMG in the e46 is a little too rough for the casual driver (which your mom doesn't seem to be), and even though I'm not a big fan of M3s, it fits all her criteria.

They're fairly reliable, but like everyone else said, they've got typical e46 problems.

Comment

How about a 330ci with performance package?

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...e-package.html

Comment

Originally posted by Eliminator View Post
                              How about a 330ci with performance package?

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...e-package.html
                              Together, we can disrupt the trajectory of the literacy crisis and open the door to opportunity for every child.

He just said it had to be a coupe.

James, what about the new M-coupe?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X