Driving in the fog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving in the fog?

So I'm driving PCH back to Newport from Huntington and there's this awesome fog covering the road. So my question to you is: how fast have you idiots driven in the fog? And I'm talking driving. It takes balls, stupidity, and recklessness to drive like a race car driver in this kind of fog.

Yeah that's quite a bit less than 20 foot visibility:

Oh yeah not to mention the whole taking pictures while driving a manual thing.

Advanded Delphin Division
    My e30s: 1987 325i/1994 318iT

meh, i drove 65 in my semi with 15 feet visibility. just followed the fog line, watch for lights. didnt have any issues at all. i was heading north on I5 out of eugene, so it was a straight line the whole way.

Comment

yeah, PCH is a "straight" line too, but it has a lot of crap that can seriously wreck up your car if you're not paying attention :/

Comment

@ Delfin- Man you ain't seen no fog yet!! :D

Try 3-5 FEET visibilty we had here in Holland & Germany for New Year's Eve from about 9 PM - 3AM.

People had to drive at foot pace only using road markings, the sidewalk and general knowledge of your area to navigate. Of course a GPS if you had one.

Stop lights at the intersection would emerge like ghost some 6 feet before you.
        We had many fender benders on the highways , people litterally left their cars and walked home and 1 casualty that night.

Fastest i''ve driven in "moderate" fog was 65 MPH.

Also puttin on highbeams impairs your visibility even more.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

ive always been able to see better with just fogs on or without the highbeams.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by mtechnik View Post
            @ Delfin- Man you ain't seen no fog yet!! :D

Try 3-5 FEET visibilty we had here in Holland & Germany for New Year's Eve from about 9 PM - 3AM.

Fastest i''ve driven in "moderate" fog was 65 MPH.

Got you beat by 10MPH, but WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN. I was on A6 coming from Heidelberg to Heilbronn and it was on the winding sections of the Autobahn:curse:. Sone were flying by me.

How do I spell stress relief?:hitler:
            :!:Open Track Days!!!:!:

Comment

lol that pic isn't really that bad of fog. We had 5-10 ft visibility here not too long ago. I probably went 35-40 max, and I slowed down again because I couldn't see the backs of the cars in front of me until thir brakelights were on and they were less than 20ft in front of me. I drove with fogs only. Even the lowbeams were too bright, and reflected back at me.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Bout 75-80, couldn't see 10' past the hood. I was in Des Moines going home and that fog didn't let up the entire way although it did get easier around Chicago.

Comment

If you had turned your highbeams off you'd have been able to see further. The visability from the pic doesnt look that bad.

Comment

haha yeah I know about the high beams, they were on to show the fog better

Comment

Originally posted by jbsjunk
                      Bout 75-80, couldn't see 10' past the hood. I was in Des Moines going home and that fog didn't let up the entire way although it did get easier around Chicago.
                      G/f and I recently made a trip to/from Iowa/Chicago just before Christmas time - holy shit - most of it was on 65 mph interstate. Fog thick as pea soup. There were times when I'd follow a fast semi/car/truck at 65 mph; but it was still unnerving, and I'd end up slowing back down to a 'more comfortable' 45-50 mph.

At one point, I pulled over into a parking lot and re-aimed the headlights so they 'pointed lower' - helped alot. (driving an Mk3 Golf) .. and yeah, low beams all the way.
                      -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Go faster maybe you can all kill someone, then you can paint a kill symbol on your cars. That would be sweet.

1991 318is Diamant Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                          G/f and I recently made a trip to/from Iowa/Chicago just before Christmas time - holy shit - most of it was on 65 mph interstate. Fog thick as pea soup. There were times when I'd follow a fast semi/car/truck at 65 mph; but it was still unnerving, and I'd end up slowing back down to a 'more comfortable' 45-50 mph.
                          I hear ya, white knuckle ride. The only thing in my favor was I started out at midnight and there wasn't anyone else on the road. Got pretty unnerving after 8 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jbsjunk
                            I hear ya, white knuckle ride. The only thing in my favor was I started out at midnight and there wasn't anyone else on the road.
                            hell yeah ! I was purposly late-night-driving to avoid traffic.
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by dgdavidson View Post
                              Go faster maybe you can all kill someone, then you can paint a kill symbol on your cars. That would be sweet.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-d...,7372973.story
                              The problem isn't speeding, it's slowing down. Don't drive 20mph on the highway in dense fog (or smoke in this case) unless you want to get shunted.

Comment

Working...
                              X