Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 dead after 2008 M5 crashes at high speed

How many of you saw this story?

Five young men died Saturday when the car they were in drove off the end of a private airstrip near Ocala, Florida, became airborne for 200 feet and slammed into an oak tree, authorities said.

This was on the 2002 message board
    (From Ocala.com)
    "Details about the tragic car crash at Greystone Airport that claimed the lives of five young men early Saturday are still emerging, and it may be some time - if ever - before investigators piece together all the pertinent facts.
    One thing is certain. The families and friends of Jacob James Casey, 19; James Devon Hime, 19; Joshua D. Ammirato, 18; Dustin J. Dawe, 19; and Isaac Rubin, 20 are devastated.
    All five were pronounced dead at the scene after an apparent high-speed crash that investigators say likely involved alcohol.
    Ammarito was driving his father's 2008 BMW M5 sedan. The $80,000 car, registered to Santo Ammarito, was traveling north on the 1.5- mile-long airstrip that actor John Travolta and others regularly use to fly in and out of Ocala.
    Florida Highway Patrol Captain Jeff Succi said there were yaw, or sideways, skid marks at the end of the runway, indicating the car turned sideways before launching over an embankment. It then sailed through the air about 200 feet before slamming into a large tree and bursting into flames.
    Troopers believe the car traveled over the 80- to 85-foot high embankment at the end of the airstrip and stuck the tree about 15 feet above the ground. The car broke into two pieces upon impact."
    Also from Ocala.com:
    "Ammarito, 18, logged onto M5board.com Thursday and Friday, asking other M5 drivers how to shift smoother in the 500-hp machine.
    "The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal, pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be a thud noise with the gear change." he wrote in one post.
    Other members of the board expressed skepticism that Ammirato could have a car with a base price of $82,900 at such a young age, but warned him to take it easy until he gained more driving experience.
    Ammarito told forum members he'd had the car for about three weeks. Records show his father, Santo Ammirato, bought the car in November.
    In his posts, Joshua Ammirato listed his other cars as a 2008 BMW 535i, a 2007 BMW 335i and a 2007 Cadillac Escalade."

I just wonder if parents had thier teenage kid attend some advanced drivers training prior to giving them the keys to a new M5 with 500 HP? Tragic is an understatement.

G-Man
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i
    98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

tre-post.

Comment

Its amazing what flying 200 feet through the air in a car into some trees will do..

pretty damn sad

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
        tre-post.
        Even though its a repost, haven't seen the the updated facts about the car and the kids forum activity..

Comment

I did a search on M5 and saw the info was already covered except for some of the pics in the CNN story. I would delete this post if I knew how. I'm sure the lawyers in FL are having a feeding frenzy on this one.

G-Man
          74 2002tii (many mods)
          86 325 (sold)
          88 325is (sold)
          89 325i (totaled)
          91 318is (parted out)
          91 318i
          98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Comment

"Survival of the fittest"... stupid parents like that should not breed to begin with.

Comment

It won't take off.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
              RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

im not particularly sad about anything in this story besides a good car wasted.
                ________
                Free Vaporizer
                Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs909 View Post
                  im not particularly sad about anything in this story besides a good car wasted.
                  Why? You're a dick. An m5 is just a machine, but that kid and four others died. You are sad about a car but not 5 young lives? Granted, they weren't making the best decisions, but seriously man, have a fucking heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                    It won't take off.
                    Ran out of runway.
                    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                    Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Thirty View Post
                      Ran out of runway.
                      nah, it was on a giant conveyor belt traveling in the opposite direction. It won't take off.

;);););)
                      I'd rather have Sarah Palin 1 hearbeat away from the Presidency than Nancy Pelosi 2 heartbeats away.

Comment

Oak tree-1-M5-0

"became airborne for 200 feet and slammed into an oak tree"

Oak tree you are in my way is in a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, how prophetic!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

darwin award?

Comment

didnt see the updates or that it was even an m5. granted, they were really stupid - but tragic is right. and to be honest, if i had an m5 and an unused runway i could get on - you're damn right i'm going to be playing with my machine. Honestly dont think it would be with anyone else in the car, but I would definately be on that runway.

I think society would prefer i do it on the runway than on a two lane highway next to another car or in and out of traffic...

anyway like i said, stupid - but still tragic.

Comment

i feel bad for the car and for the four other kids in the car but not for the driver.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X