Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW e30 Chassis Lower X Brace (very soon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you think of the integrated skidplate? I'm not the first to ask about it in this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
      I vote for a r3v group buy in lime green for $200.
      I second that. Even though I dont really care what color it comes in because I dont plan on jumping my car for anyone to see my undercarrage, i'm the only one that turns wrenches on it to see it anyway. But it would match niceley with my lower control arm mounts, I think they are AKA lollipops?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30rcr View Post
        So what do you think of the integrated skidplate? I'm not the first to ask about it in this thread....
        This is an interesting idea for sometime down the road, John and I briefly talked about it and we may come up with an addition in the future.

I would not be integrated into the brace as the e30 has several engine configurations and as would follow several different needs in pan protection (we don't want to re-create the BMW one size fits all fireplace grate thing that was available).

Comment

Or even a generic M20 skidplate that isn't connected to this x brace at all? There are a couple on the market, the price point seems to be about $150 for steel, and a friend of mine made one from 1/4" 6061 for around $300.

Comment

:loco: Did anyone notice that Black won over pink with flowers and polkadodts by only 1 vote?

Comment

Nice!
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                Nice!
                and in aluminun:

There is a Group Buy here on R3V...only on R3V.

Comment

All grade 8 hardware I bet too.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    All grade 8 hardware I bet too.
                    Grade 8? (BMW guy scratches his head and says "we do not screw around"... get it Screw around)

Metric Grade 10.9
                    Medium carbon alloy steel, quenched and tempered.
                    Tensile Ultimate Strength, MPa, Min. = 1040.
                    Hardness, Rockwell = Surface 30N59, Core C39.

Component and material cost isn't even a factor in what we do.

Comment

24v Swaps ?

Will this fit an E30 with the M50/S50/S52 swap ?
                      If so I will probably buy one.

Thanks !

Comment

Looks very nice. I'll have to get an aluminum one when I finish the other things my car needs. I like the hood/trunk seals too.

Comment

Looks well built, nice job.

Sadly, I can't run it on my race car. The rules don't allow aftermarket parts like that.

I can't speak for the bottom of the car, but the tops of the shock towers do move when driven hard on the track. We had an aluminum Racing Dynamics strut tower bar that started to deform. So we went to the Sparco steel bar which is a lot more stout.
                          Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
                          www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            Cad plating is a sacrificial coating. It will eventually stop functioning as a sacrificial anode and rust through.
                            ok so I was a lil overzealous... but Cad is a better option than powdercoat. and it will take FOREVER in automotive terms to the actual part to corrode.

I will probably get a bar at a leter date... I wanna see if other 24v guys get it to fit.
                            What is the strength and weight difference between the steel and al parts?
                            e30sport.net
                            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by MGYVER View Post
                              Will this fit an E30 with the M50/S50/S52 swap ?
                              If so I will probably buy one.

Thanks !
                              I would like to know as well
                              "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith alone does not prove anything."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by chuck90m3 View Post
                                I would like to know as well
                                I can't imagine it would be an issue. Post-swap, the underside of my car is no different.

I'm very interested in this for my car. Any chassis reinforcement is good in my book.
                                1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

Working...
                                X