Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW e30 Chassis Lower X Brace (very soon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to think about production / labor cost.

The OEM part is cheaper because they are most likely mass produced by machine.

This is a custom parts most likely to be made by hand so you're paying more for the man hours involved with making a custom part.

Unfortunately the reality is that there is not enough demand for these to warrant the kind of mass production needed for basement bargain prices. (Unless they decided to have a manufacturer in china replicate their final produce for them.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is.... No.. I probably couldn't justify the $300 price tag but that's because I don't track my car. Otherwise I consider $300 a fair price for a custom X-Brace setup if I felt the need to maximize my suspension setup.

Comment

anymore info on any modifications needed to fit this? will there be nutserts involved? (i hate nutserts haha). they will clear a long tube header like IE's? How about 24v swaps?

Comment

Do you know the exact type of steel used, and the sizes? I'm in a strengths of materials class, and I am just curious and want to do a stress analysis.

Comment

Count me in for one. I'm assuming this will fit a M42 powered cabby?

-- DavidV :D
          My Book: Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies

Comment

Originally posted by DavidV View Post
            Count me in for one. I'm assuming this will fit a M42 powered cabby?
            -- DavidV :D
            Their prototype/testmule car in the pics is an M42 car .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
              I'd have to say that is too much, $200ish I could see. E36 x-brace is $140 from most sources, Only draw backs to it lack of ground clearance, and not much clearance for certain headers. Those are improved with your design, but I don't think that's worth double the price of an OEM BMW part.
              Yup, I am far from a cheapskate when it comes to my car but $300 is a little pricey.

It also looks like there would be some fitment issues for those of us that are running the factory skidplate.
              Originally posted by Simon S
              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                Do you know the exact type of steel used, and the sizes? I'm in a strengths of materials class, and I am just curious and want to do a stress analysis.
                MASON won”t say, and says I can”t talk about it. ,

But he hinted it was a the super strong alloy” UNOBTANIUM” He found a crashed flying saucer somewhere and salvaged the materials

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
                  Hot Pink with Flowers and Polkadots
                  atomic, Justin B, kowalski, z31maniac

LOL. It's winning... rofl
                  Pink is bitch'n yo.

Seriously, it will go with my pink shirts, and popped collars.

Girls with think its rad, and the e30 will move up 10 points in the nice car scale and want to have teh sexzors.

Comment

I wish it could mount somewhere other then the steering rack bolts, as thats where my skid plate is mounted...

Comment

This is something I can address

Originally posted by kowalski View Post
                      I wish it could mount somewhere other then the steering rack bolts, as thats where my skid plate is mounted...

In the beginning of the R&D process we (I) had a torturous decision to make.

In order to effectively attach the unit to the sub-frame any other way would require a highly skilled fabricator/welder to modify it.
                      This really wasn't an option for most end users. The "pop-in" blind nuts routinely fail so that wasn't the best choice either.

Because of my other concerns about attaching where we did I tested the first mock-up of this configuration on my rat car by jumping a dozen curbs and getting it crossed up airborne a few times then power slid it into a curb a couple more times just for drill before we built the first prototype.

I feel good about it. (well... as far as the braces function was concerned, I killed a set of good steelies and tires in the process)

I'm sure that if there is a demand for it in the future we could develop a bolt in addition to protect the pan.
                      Last edited by DCColegrove; 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                        I'm sure that if there is a demand for it in the future we could develop a bolt in addition to protect the pan.

this is starting to become a concern for me, one of the reasons i liked the e36 x-brace when i had it on my 328. but the pan on the e30's seems even more so a target to road hazzards. please keep us informed for any updates to allow a skid plate or a modified version that would protect the oil pan more

Comment

Id like to see a Xbrace fitted on a 24V swapped e30 with e-bay headers and OE skidplate....I may buy if it can fit without clearance issues.

Nice looking product! Looking forward to seeing it go into production.

Comment

This looks fantastic to me. Considering the apparent quality and your effort to develop the part, I think $300 is entirely reasonable. Black is my preference, but I'm OK with red if that's what you choose to go with.

Thanks for supporting the E30 chassis.

Dave
                            Present BMWs: E30 325iC, E39 540 Sport 6-speed, E60 M5 SMG

E30 Cabrio Turbo Project

Comment

What are the attachment points on a e36? They don't go over the lollipops do they????
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X