Highbeam removal vs rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highbeam removal vs rain

So how does this work? The deleting of the left highbeam to create a nice air intake to M20 CAI. But how does it get along in rainy days? I mean, does all of the water coming form under cars in front creates any danger to either cone filter or, even worse, to someting else as a result?

The less I drive my car, the more stupid ideas come to my head.

Next thing I'll ask about will be something like "how to create a dune buggy out of E30" or "can my car fly?".

But that thing with an intake in place of a highbeam is really intriguing...

Talked to people that lives in rainy areas here and they have had no problems. I think K&N also makes some sort of sleeve that goes over the cone filter if you are really concerned.
    sigpic

Comment

Forgot to mention - and it might be important - I'm using PiperCross foam-based cone filter.

Comment

as far as i know you would need a huge splash into the filter for something to happen.
        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

This doesn't work. Keep your lights in.
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
            This doesn't work. Keep your lights in.
            How do you mean? As for now, the only way my separated form the bay CAI gets air is through small-ass "triangle" cutout between the lights. I assumed, giving it the oportunity to feed itself more air somewhat of an improvement...

Comment

oh man.... I really really think you ought to do a search on this topic. Whats more important, the -3 hp you will lose, or the OEM light that was put there for a reason?
              Stick with the original airbox, you will thank me later.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                the OEM light that was put there for a reason?
                So following your point, did you lower your car? If so why? Why not stick with the original suspension that was put there for a reason?

And as far as keeping the original airbox - after putting the cone filter and a heatshield I notice no power gains, but I do notice better throttle response.

AND I LIKE IT ;)

But I really thought that giving it some more air will make things better. I mean people do that for some reason...

Comment

There was a study done that shows the stock air box is best in terms of intake performance on a stock m20. If you are going to take out the beam, or already did, just make a cover?

Comment

I personally like my lights, but if I'm autocrossing I may remove the light if it is really hot out. The only real bottleneck in the stock intake is the rubber hose from the box to the back of the headlights. Stick a 3.5" diameter pipe in there, and you will see some gains. There is a little bit of a gain to be found there if you have euro grilles because they don't have much airflow, but it really isn't worth the difficulty for street driving or if it is cold/cool out.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

the stock airbox is already a cold air intake. there's a tube that takes air from behind the high beam directly into the airbox.

also, cars with missing high beams look retarded.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                        I personally like my lights, but if I'm autocrossing I may remove the light if it is really hot out. The only real bottleneck in the stock intake is the rubber hose from the box to the back of the headlights. Stick a 3.5" diameter pipe in there, and you will see some gains. There is a little bit of a gain to be found there if you have euro grilles because they don't have much airflow, but it really isn't worth the difficulty for street driving or if it is cold/cool out.
                        how does a 3.5" diameter pipe help anything when the throttle body is less than 3"? common sense..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinho View Post
                          There was a study done that shows the stock air box is best in terms of intake performance on a stock m20.
                          1. My M20 is not stock.
                          2. A custom CAI is going to stay there as it seriously gives better throttle response.
                          3. Thought removing the light is the easiest way to increase air flow.
                          4. I don't care if it looks retarded - As long as I don't.
                          5. I asked how does it behave in the rain. Works? Ok then.

Comment

Could put a baffle behind the removed headlight to keep rain from coming directly in.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by thornado327i View Post
                              So following your point, did you lower your car? If so why? Why not stick with the original suspension that was put there for a reason?

And as far as keeping the original airbox - after putting the cone filter and a heatshield I notice no power gains, but I do notice better throttle response.

AND I LIKE IT ;)

But I really thought that giving it some more air will make things better. I mean people do that for some reason...
                              I lowered my car for better handling, and upgrade from the original suspension. You are REMOVING parts that in turn will not make a difference in performance.
                              How do you figure your throttle response is better? There is just as much air going through the TB when I punch it. You HEAR a difference, therefore your butt dyno tells you there is a difference. I'm not trying to argue with you, I am merely stating proven facts that have already been established If you want to rock a TEBM*, then by all means do it, I did it until I figured out it didn't make a difference. If you want a ram air, buy a snorkle and stick it down low where there really is cold air that is moving in the opposite direction.
                              *three eyed bavarian monster.
                              Yours truly,
                              Rich
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X