Just Bought an E30! What should be the first things that I should do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Bought an E30! What should be the first things that I should do

I just bought my E30just about a week ago and just bought brakes for it but being so little educated on E30s I was wanting to know what kind of stuff should be done or like any cool mods and things of that sort that I should look into

Check valve gaps, timing belt, tensioner, water pump. M20 E30s will run forever so long as those 4 things are maintained.

Comment

Do no maintenance, just clean it up and flip it on BaT or similar after driving it no more than 50 miles. Seems like the most popular course of action for new E30 owners today.

Alternately, you could spend hours reading this forum for ideas, and choose ones that will suit your desire/ability/budget.

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
        Check valve gaps, timing belt, tensioner, water pump. M20 E30s will run forever so long as those 4 things are maintained.
        The previous owner did all of that apparently but im probably gonna do it myself still as a precaution

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Do no maintenance, just clean it up and flip it on BaT or similar after driving it no more than 50 miles. Seems like the most popular course of action for new E30 owners today.

Alternately, you could spend hours reading this forum for ideas, and choose ones that will suit your desire/ability/budget.
          Nah this one is a keep for a longgg time

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I've wasted (invested) hundreds if not thousands of hours on this site during my almost 19 years of owning my E30. There are so many different ways to waste or invest your money into these cars. Most important is enjoy the car, don't crash it and don't let drunk friends drive it. Peace
            09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
            05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
            87 BMW 325is
            a few bicycles

Comment

What should you do? Start a build thread. And post lots of photos. :-)

Change all the fluids. Drive it a lot. See what breaks. Fix it. Drive it some more.

Comment

2nd on the build thread. One thing that’s not maintenance per say but your should do if original is the soft fuel and brake lines. Every year I see more and more e30s catch fire due or 30yo hoses. If you DIY it won’t be too bad. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Clean everything: take the seat out and shampoo the carpet, degrease the engine bay, clean all the buttons/knobs, clean all the surfaces. While you're doing that, make a list of everything that's broken so you can start making plans to repair it. If you don't already have basic tools, buy a "mechanic's tool set". Buy a copy of the Bentley manual.

The coolest mod fixing problems that make the car unreliable. It's pretty cool to have a car that starts every time and isn't a deathtrap.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                    if original is the soft fuel and brake lines. Every year I see more and more e30s catch fire due or 30yo hoses.
                    This. inspect your brake soft-lines (by the wheels) for cracking. Replace them if they're bad. Check your fuel lines in the engine bay, by the fuel filter, and by the fuel pump. Replace dry rotted lines before driving. They will split, and they will catch on fire.
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

No, the first thing you do on this forum is to post a pic of your significant other. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of weird comments.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                        No, the first thing you do on this forum is to post a pic of your significant other. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of weird comments.
                        That’s BFC OT.shifty Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                        84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                          Yeah, do this before I start asking weird questions

then change your timing belt and post it on BaT with a 15k reserve
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Yeah, do this before I start asking weird questions

then change your timing belt and post it on BaT with a 15k reserve
                            Insert Denzel my man gif here.

Comment

Look here, the value increased from $500 to $30,000.
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...318is-restomod

Look here. The value increased from $250 to $31,000.
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ern-drivetrain

Look here. The guy paid $70k to a shop to modify his car, but lost his investment when he sold it.
                              Bid for the chance to own a S54-Powered 1986 BMW 325e 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #32,782.

Comment

Working...
                              X