October 2022 Car of the Month: McGyver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2022 Car of the Month: McGyver

***Editors Note: Happy October! haha Sorry for the delay, but life is in session!... Anyways, I've been wanting to feature a few of McGyver's cars, but as you will see in this cars history he hasnt had the best of luck. This car is a nice solid car. Not too modified, properly loved and now driven too. Hopefully the progress continues now that he's back on the East Coast! Congrats McGyver, you're October 2022's Car of the Month***

Exterior color:

Alpine White II + Some purple-ish touch-up paint from the PO

Interior color:
    Pearl Beige Pinpoint Vinyl

Engine modifications:
    Regular Maintenance, Rebuilt Alternator, DIY Ground Straps

Exhaust:
    Stock 325i

Transmission:
    4hp22

Differential:
    188mm 4.10 Open Differential

Suspension:
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, OEM Rubber Bushings, Homemade toe and camber adjusters, Powder Coated calipers and brackets in Jamaican Ice and rebuilt them, stainless steel brake lines, Garagistic X-Brace, Red46 Skid Plate

Wheels:
    Racing Dynamics 15x7 et26 with Continental ExtemeContact Sport 205-50ZR15

Exterior modifications:
    Smoked Depo Smilies, Amazon 325is lip (ran over multiple times)

Interior modifications:
    DIY Digital Volt Meter, New Odometer Gears, Re-flowed Speedometer Solder Joints, 13-button OBC Conversion with DIY LED Backlight, Cheap Rockford Fosgate R1525X2 Speakers

Story behind the car:
    After my m30b35 convertible got totaled (Dec 2017), I decided that I should get a new daily so I could do fun stuff with the '91 coupe. After a bit of searching, I found this 1989 325i sedan for sale in May of 2018. I think the guy had it listed on craigslist for $1600. It had been listed for several weeks, and by the time I called to check it out he told me he was looking for $1000. I looked it over and wanted to think about it. A few days later I called him and said I wanted it, but it was rough. He said $900 was the lowest he'd go. After a thorough inspection I told him that I was worried about a bunch of stuff that was messed up, and he offered $800 (which is what he paid). I agreed to that plus 2 gallons of gas so I could get to a gas station (it was empty). Easiest negotiation ever!
    The first major issue was that some guy bought this at an estate sale with the intent to flip it, and the agent couldn't find the title. Normally the PO can get the DMV to issue a replacement title, but in this case, the PO was dead. Then I went to start looking into things and found out that there was also a lien on the car. After months of work talking to the flipper, estate sale agent, surviving kids, hassling AAA for info, researching, talking to a credit union, and cold calling people in the phone book (when I had no idea if I'd be able to register the car), I finally got it all figured out. A CPA in Berkeley bought the car for his wife in 1989. They paid it off in 1993, but never filed the release of lien with the DMV. The owners got divorced in 2020, and the wife never registered it in her name. I was able to convince the bank to send me the release of lien. I also found the CPA that was the listed owner and got him to sign the title transfer paperwork. Finally, I had all the documents to register the vehicle.
    The car was my DD for a couple of years until my coupe got totaled in April of 2021. Now it’s the weekend car and I want to enjoy it while the weather is nice. I definitely plan on getting either new springs or coil-overs to raise it up to a reasonable drive height. Future plans may include building a high-comp 2.7i stroker, swapping it to a 5-speed, and building a 4-clutch LSD. The first picture is from a Breakfast Club Rally and NorCal and shows how there’s more road ahead of the car than behind. I’m excited to keep building and learning with Stinky.

Build thread is below:

More pics coming, but heres the beginning

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

This thing looks great! It looks low in the front for just 50406s. Were drop hats used?
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I dig it, I’ve always liked those wheels!

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Very nice, congrats!
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
        X