New to me early 1987 325ic to mtech2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me early 1987 325ic to mtech2

This forum has been very helpful to me in the past so I wanted a place to document my latest e30. General information is this is a 1987 325i cabrio, 5 speed with 130k miles. I have the original window sticker and other documents that state this car was an original automatic with lsd and cardinal red interior. Over previous ownership, the vehicle was converted to black interior and a 5 speed manual.

Initial plans are to convert the body to mtech 2, replace all necessary parts to have the car running like new, and replace all leather skins via purchase from Lseat. Here are some photos from original purchase day.

Comment

Parts purchased so far:

mtech 2 kit from hero parts
      new taillights
      Lseat leather skins
      Composite Dashboard cover
      Gargistic kick plate
      Gargistic Stainless Brake Lines
      Garagistic Stainless Clutch Line
      Mahle Fuel Filter
      OEM Z3 short shifter
      Turner Shifter Rebuild Kit
      Center Console Cup Holder
      Cigarette Lighter Replacement
      Duplicate Keys
      Custom Floormats
      BMW Heritage Roundels front and rear
      New shift boot frame
      ZHP like shift knob
      Miscellaneous clips and retainers
      New fog lights to fit mtech 2 bumper
      New signals for Mtech Bumper
      Mtehnic Grill badge

Comment

Found a shop that recently fitted the mtech 2 kit on an early e30 that welcomed my car to fit and paint new kit. Currently underway:

Comment

Comment

Dude that looks awesome. Which shop is that, if you don't mind me asking? Didn't realize this aftermarket kit existed for the vert. I contacted Garagistic at one point and they said it was a no go without considerable modifications. I appreciate any info you are willing to share. Keep us posted on progress!!

Comment

^The issue is the lower side skirt isn't made for the thick convertible rocker panel. I don't know if they have reproduced the convertible specific side skirt but the coupe/sedan one will still work but it doesn't cover the entire side/bottom of the vert rocker panel. Almost anything is possible with enough work though. Here, they should get the late model plastic bumper carriers, turn signals, fogs + valance to do it properly but if they fabricate their own, few will know the difference.

Lachssilber M tech 2 is going to look great.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

They are doing their best to fabricate their own. The kit from classic hero parts is cabrio specific, so I’m hoping the parts are adjusted to fit accordingly. Thanks for the reply!
                Last edited by zippityDu; 04-19-2024, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I was hoping someone could help me find out if the true mtech 2 cars had mtechnic badges, and if so, where were they located? I know they came with the “M” badge in the front grill, which I’m not going to be replicating, but what about other areas like rear spoiler or trunk? Side skirt? Etc.

Comment

depends on the year and which market they were sold into. little more info here.

Did e30 mtech cars come with m badges? - R3VLimited Forums

Comment

Sounds like you're talking about the M technic stickers. On the M tech 2 there's only small stickers on the front fender pod. The M tech 2 rear decklid spoiler also had a sticker.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Would anyone have any images of exact placement?

Comment

Rear end coming along. Will have to make some adjustments to exhaust for a better fit and finish

Comment

Sweet. Here's an image of the M technic sticker and placement. There is an indentation in the corner of the original front fender pods on both left/right side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	368.8 KB ID:	10119087

Comment

Originally posted by zippityDu View Post
                              I was hoping someone could help me find out if the true Mtech 2 cars had Mtechnic badges, and if so, where were they located? I know they came with the “M” badge in the front grill, which I’m not going to be replicating, but what about other areas like rear spoiler or trunk? Side skirt? Etc.
                              Regarding front and rear badges:

US Convertible MTechnic badges:
                              Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1991 BMW 325i Cabriolet M-Technic 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #110,174.

UK Cabrio 325i Motorsport ///M front badges:

Fun fact, 1990 325i Motorsport cabrios were early model taillight equipped cars with Mtech 2 kits from the factory.
                              Last edited by Mike36; 04-22-2024, 03:50 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X