E46 to E30... downgrade or upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
    I want an e46, I just love how they kind of went back to their roots on the e46.
    I couldnt agree more.
    Originally posted by e30lov
    sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
    Adventures of an E30

Comment

IMO, E46's don't age well. Same for basically any "bubble" style car that came out in the late '90s.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        IMO, E46's don't age well. Same for basically any "bubble" style car that came out in the late '90s.
        This is definitely true, I have more than a couple friends who own mark 4 jettas/gti's and they are all falling to pieces.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

To many mechanical/electrical problems with the e46's,not to say that e30's dont either. I just cant stand driving in a car that looks like other cars on the road and oh look there's one.....oh look there's another and another and another(e46's).
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I don't just mean mechanically, I mean appearance wise. They looked cool and smooth and rounded at the time, but now they just look like a giant metal blob from 10 years ago. I see E46s all the time, I can't remember the last time one excited me.. even when they were new!

It just doesn't have the classic looks other BMWs have. It will look extremely dated in another 10 years.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sorry it's a upgrade.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

UPGRADE!

because I say so

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

I have the exact opposite opinion. I think the e46s will be just like the e30s in 10 years or so. Now, E30s are very popular because of their classic lines and body style. I feel that e46s will be the same way as it was the first "rounded" body style 3 series. Of course this only applies to modded cars. I dont really enjoy the styling of stock BMWs

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                  To many mechanical/electrical problems with the e46's,not to say that e30's dont either. I just cant stand driving in a car that looks like other cars on the road and oh look there's one.....oh look there's another and another and another(e46's).
                  E46s are actually quite reliable. I never had any problems with the car. Just as with any BMW, you gotta keep up with maintenance. And like I said above, the modded e46s really stand out. I see at least 4 e46s a day, but they are all stock and boring.

I don't just mean mechanically, I mean appearance wise. They looked cool and smooth and rounded at the time, but now they just look like a giant metal blob from 10 years ago. I see E46s all the time, I can't remember the last time one excited me.. even when they were new!

It just doesn't have the classic looks other BMWs have. It will look extremely dated in another 10 years.
                  I think your opinion will change in 10 years when every car will have crazy futuristic styling. The metal blob styling will be considered a classic when every car is shaped like the new acuras or benzs. Just as the e30 is considered classic now because of the boxy design
                  ^M52B28^

Comment

sorry, no. Too many images of the bubble Taurus, Geo's, Toyotas and tons of other totally-awful bubble designs. The only part BMW missed was that awful teal blue color.

plus, there is no way they will hold up as well. Basically they are reliable, but like most new cars they are meant to be thrown away, not kept around forever. Can you imagine an E46 in 2025 with 250,000 miles on it? It could happen, but it's going to be a total garbage pile. Most of them will go to the junkyard as soon as something electrical breaks.

The E36 could eventually be a classic, but the E46... skip. like an E21.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I bought my E46 330i in 2006, I then bought a E30 318i in 2010...my wife drives the E46 because it's a safe and for the most part reliable car...but also because I was bored to hell with it, now I focus 100% on my E30, even with the M42 motor, it's a 5 speed and with a suspension overhaul I believe that it will surpass almost every E46 where I live in the "fun factor" and that's what its all about, not hp, not lap times, not mpg...just whether or not you can have fun with your car and whether or not you are happy with it... get both and DD one and mod the other or sell the E46, that's it those are the options...shit or get off the pot susie! j/k OP, GL!

-Travis

Comment

My old e46 with style 5 wheels and ST Coilovers, sold

And my new e30 i did a eta to i swap with :D

Overall i would say its an upgrade in my book because its a coupe, lighter and sooo much easier to diagnose and fix even though a e46 has obd 2
                        Last edited by KIRIEIW; 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramgoat View Post
                          sideways grade?

its a matter if preference, i swapped my e36 to e30. same shit
                          Uhhh no. Not the same

I had 6 e30's and now am in a 330 ZHP, couldn't be happier

/grown up talk

Max

Comment

not sure how to grade this.

I have both an E46 M3 & E30, and if i had to chose one to sell today....w/o hesitation the E46 would be sold.
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I have a e46 330xi a my 325ix and I love them both but If had to sell one with out a guess it sell the e46. The e46 is a little nicer for a dd but it's just nothing special and there everywhere.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Upgrade, e30 IS God's Chariot.
                                Originally posted by csermonet47
                                Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Working...
                                X