strokin' it. M20B31 build (finished!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strokin' it. M20B31 build (finished!)

Decided to do the 2.7i conversion on my Super Eta today. It's a nice improvement! Allow me to take you on a terrible photo journey:

Started with an M20B25 from an '89 325i:

Off comes the top half and into the solvent tank:

Degrease (x4) and pressure wash repeatedly:

Thoroughly dry off outside:

Pull the old head off (shame, it's in fantastic shape):

Install the new one (replacing the exhaust shields soon)

Clean everything up and mess up the HID's in the process:

Done! Took about 6 hours total but the whole thing went quite smoothly. The difference in power is immediately noticeable, it still has the exact same great low-end torque the ETA is known for but with the hard pulling horsepower the 325i offers. It's really the best of both worlds which is exactly what I was hoping for.

So there you have it, r3vlimiteds newest 327i.

Last edited by Raxe; 12-19-2016, 08:15 PM.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

<3

Nice work

Comment

No fucking around, just into it. Love it. Good job Raxe
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
      first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

You made that look entirely too easy. Looked into that myself but got mixed up in all the different variants with eta rods/ i pistons/ m50 crank etc. etc. You just went straight eta bottom/ i head tho right?

edit: meant seta rods... then again, i gave up trying to make sense of it all.

someone needs to do a formal "how to do this shit right" sticky.... w/o all the bs mechanic wanna-be's and 15 yr olds inputs.... my 2c

Comment

Yup straight half-n-half. Used the ECU and intake from the 325i as well, it's pretty much plug and play. It's an 88 seta bottom end though, I'm not sure how much of a difference a regular e bottom would be.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Not gonna cam it while you're at it? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
              Yup straight half-n-half. Used the ECU and intake from the 325i as well, it's pretty much plug and play. It's an 88 seta bottom end though, I'm not sure how much of a difference a regular e bottom would be.
              The seta engine has reliefs cut in the top of the pistons for the valves. The 'regular e' bottom has flat top pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                Not gonna cam it while you're at it? ;)
                I will actually, I'm going to pull the whole thing apart again in a few weeks and change the cam because it's starting to wear. Didn't know until we started doing the conversion but surprises are part of the fun :P

I'm going to start researching it soon, but I keep hearing Schrick 272.

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
                The seta engine has reliefs cut in the top of the pistons for the valves. The 'regular e' bottom has flat top pistons.
                Didn't know that, thanks!

Comment

This is technically only possible with the 88 seta. Doing so with a regular eta would give you very low compression, the car would be a slug. Good for turbo thou!!

Nice job dude!

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

R3vlimited's latest and CLEANEST 2.7i.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                      R3vlimited's latest and CLEANEST 2.7i.

x1000

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                        I will actually, I'm going to pull the whole thing apart again in a few weeks and change the cam because it's starting to wear. Didn't know until we started doing the conversion but surprises are part of the fun :P

I'm going to start researching it soon, but I keep hearing Schrick 272.

Didn't know that, thanks!
                        Schrick 284 and buy it from Vac motorsport. I have done my research already ;) 440.00 to your door. I have over 1k in the 885 head rebuild. Cam, springs, rockers(race), Schrick springs.

Good work, this looks clean and well done. FYI a real stroker it larger bore(bigger pistons) with shorter rods or bigger crankshaft. Since you already had the SETA it is just an improved topend. It is still a great build and motor!

DO NOT get a IE regrind, just saying because they are cheaper. Schrick all the way, double the price but worth every penny. And you are going to have to buy upgraded valve springs to get over 7k with the cam. Or just don't race it. On my brother's stroker build I am replacing the rockers with the beefy race ones to handle the higher RPMs. If you get the Schrick cam buy a IE cam adjuster gear. Only 100 bucks and helps dial in the cam =)
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
                          Schrick 284 and buy it from Vac motorsport. I have done my research already ;) 440.00 to your door. I have over 1k in the 885 head rebuild. Cam, springs, rockers(race), Schrick springs.

Good work, this looks clean and well done. FYI a real stroker it larger bore(bigger pistons) with shorter rods or bigger crankshaft. Since you already had the SETA it is just an improved topend. It is still a great build and motor!

DO NOT get a IE regrind, just saying because they are cheaper. Schrick all the way, double the price but worth every penny. And you are going to have to buy upgraded valve springs to get over 7k with the cam. Or just don't race it. On my brother's stroker build I am replacing the rockers with the beefy race ones to handle the higher RPMs. If you get the Schrick cam buy a IE cam adjuster gear. Only 100 bucks and helps dial in the cam =)
                          Thanks for the tips! I won't be racing it, it's my DD so convenience/reliability is a factor. I was looking at IE's offerings. My dad bought the adjustable cam gear for his cabrio but hasn't installed it yet, so I'll have a chance to see how it works before pulling the trigger myself.

Comment

Fuck yeah.
                            -Nick
                            Originally posted by 87e30
                            First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

That's a cool looking car you've got there, just sayin'.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Working...
                              X