No announcement yet.

The Bronze Bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing a little bit of work. I tore the block apart, polished my crank, checked so called fresh bearings (were actually new, but one main bearing got nicked so a new new set will be installed) rod bearings good. Cleaned the pistons up a little bit and re-indexed the rings. Block should be back together fairly soon. Took the head home, and started putting a couple things on it. Going to be using all new fasteners where visible. Pictures of pistons/crank/block are before I did anything to them. Block was re-honed

And I still need to get some new bolts/washers for the fuel rail as you can see they are still old/hideous

And Zeus, he's already 30+ pounds

He likes to pose for the camera
    Last edited by Hey_You; 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM.
    85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

liking it, very tidy work
      sigpic
      Delphin '87 325i Vert

Comment

Did some more work. Don't have pictures of it all, but replaced my main bearings (one got scored), torqued everything down to spec in the bottom end. Took my head to work, slapped some playdough on my pistons and cycled to check for clearance (heard that the piano topped pistons don't clear 318i head/valves, but they do). New headgasket, new headbolts, misplaced my old ones, now I have to source new headbolt washers, DOH! I will be doing an ICV delete, so engine will have less clutter. Stock injectors for now until I finish gathering my turbo bits so I will be able to drive it. I also ran out of certain sized bolts at work, so will have to reuse a bunch, not what I wanted to do as they aren't fresh looking. What pictures I did take are here. Sorry for the quality, I forgot my camera so took some with my phone

Comment

More shitty cell phone pictures. As you can see, I didn't do much, but I got all fresh bolts in the timing cover, got my distributor installed and my wires routed. Hope to have my head torqued down tomorrow (if my head bolt washers show up) and install my clutch/transmission. Still need to run a couple coolant lines up to the throttle body and from the waterpump to the metal coolant line that runs along the block.

Comment

Finally got my upper timing cover installed. Also installed my oil filter pedestal. Had to wait for these to come in to torque my head down.

It's torqued, now I just need to reseal my transmission before I pull my engine off the stand and get it on a hoist. I ran a couple of the coolant hoses going to/from the throttle body, and from the water pump to the metal tube that runs along the block. I will be trimming the hose clamps that have too much coming off of them. That shit bugs me

Installed my spark plugs, but will need to get another set of wires (unless I can find a random spare hanging around the shop) as one of my wires lost the spring clip thing that holds onto the spark plug end. Got something in today that made me happy. Until I can source good deals on all the turbo parts, I wanted to have a little improvement, so I got me a header from RaceTEP. It will be getting some black header paint.

Note to self: Take damn camera to work!

Comment

Can't seem to find my camera, I found the case, the card is in my laptop, camera is somewhere else. It'll show it's face soon I would imagine. Painted my header, put it on with the gasket/heatshield (need more copper nuts). Also tried to removed the exhaust from my car. If I could get the manifold removed I think I could snake it out...but, that manifold is on there good. I'll probably just use a big jack to pull the exhaust out the side of my car. Test fitting the new muffler. Made a little room in the rear valance for it. Crude at the momet, but it will get dressed up later.

Old vs New

Comment

Got my accessories mounted and belts ran (don't have a picture of that) Replaced the seals in my transmission (might as well while I have the transmission out) Got creative with my fan. Engine will be coming off the stand this week, and going on the crane. Still need to tow my car from my house back to the shop (need to remove exhaust first) I also need to fabricate a passenger side mounting arm. Couple pictures...and a complete random since I inherited this camera from my parents, and my mom went to Africa a few years back. You should be able to figure out which one I'm talking about.

Never looked better (last week, or 2 weeks ago, can't remember)

Crazy how Zeus went from this (Next to my mom)

To this

Oh wait, you got me, that's the random! Here is Zeus

Comment

Damn, Zeus is HUGE!
                  M Coupe

Comment

Beautiful dog man

My VW build page - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ic-intensive-)
                    SELL ME YOUR E30 IN ARIZONA!!

Comment

Clutch assembly on! Just new OE stuff, will upgrade clutch fairly soon down the road however.

Got the transmission installed. The inspection shield thing that covers the flywheel is installed, but I noticed that the early m10 block and late m10 block are a bit different. I won't be able to use a few bolts for it, as there are no provisions to make it work. I feel like cutting the shield too so it fits flush on one side (overhangs)

Should be getting thrown in the car this coming week!

Comment

Update
                        Made motor mount, just have to have it finish welded (I don't have gas for my welder yet). I will be boxing it in for extra strength.
                        And...dropped the motor in and have almost everything hooked up. Adjust the valves tomorrow and fire her up for the first time in...well, I forget. Hope my gas is still good

Header is installed, but black so hard to see with my shitty phone. Bosch filter FTW! I care!
                        Last edited by Hey_You; 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

style'in dat bronzit

Comment

Nice build keep it up. Thanks for mixing it up with an m10

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments. I have tried to take my time and do everything right with the engine (internal, and external. It was my first (you always remember your first) so I wanted it to be something I could look at, and be somewhat happy. I know a M5X/S5X will be in my future, whether for the e30, or the s30 (240z for those who don't know). Still looking/saving for the turbo. The body/interior, well, those are a WAYS off

Comment

It's alive!
                                Should be going to the exhaust shop tomorrow...I hope, I WANNA DRIVE IT THIS WEEKEND!

How do I embed the YouTube video?Here Is The Link

Comment

Working...
                                X