Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I HATE red. A story of love.

The title says it all.

With that being said I feel like a disclaimer is in order.

If you can't read anything other than proper, punctuated correctly, coherent English than this tread is not for you. Also, if you want to see a massive build thread then you may be waiting a while. I am a new father and in the middle of a 6 hour move/relocation so I don't have much time to work on the car.

This is more important:

Anyway! This is the story about my 1991 325i.

Let's start from the beginning.

I was driving a RX-7 TII at the time, but as any of you that have owned these cars before know, it's only a matter of time before they pop. After wearing the tires down to the belts all night I decided it was time to head home. No more than 2 minutes on the interstate and I heard a loud explosion. I pulled the car over and parked it knowing the Apex seals were toast.

Here's that pile for reference. She was sold for $1000. That was what I paid for the suspension.

So after going without a car for a total of a day, I found this ad:

Great guy, great car. A frequent member on here as well. I sent him my offer and headed the 3 hours there two days later to pick it up.

Here's the day I got her:

The ride home was terrible. The car had blown shocks and was more comparable to riding a surfboard than driving a BMW. I'll have to find that video clip somewhere... I drove all 150 miles with no rear plate, no title, and no proof of insurance (it was insured! I promise) I got pulled over by a pair of cops that I'm guessing were waiting specifically for me. There are no requirements for front plates on cars in SC or GA and they had pulled out of the median on I-95 the second they saw me. They let me pass them going around 35mph first, and then they threw on the blue lights.

I explained the situation to them and after a little hassle about taking their pictures in the rear view, a few warnings about speeding, buying a car without a title in hand, and the dangers of marijuana, they let us go on our way. Sometimes the dumb kid card works. heh.

And a few of the ride home with my e36 that my buddy drove:

And a little carnage of that same E36:

Blew one tire, then blew the spare:

I was rear ended at a red light:

...so that needed a repair:

And the car that did it:

It was totaled due to the bumper, a dent in the trunk and a bend it the spare tire well. The natural thing to due was to try to blow it up.

But back to the e30!

Ground Controls came in the mail:

I had to replace the water pump, so my little cousin and girlfriend drew me working on the car:

And this is the only current picture I have of it.

In the between time from the water pump replacement the car has been through a lot. I have installed Bilstein Sports, HAWK HP+ pads, E36 M3 rear strut reinforcements, all tie rod ends, control arms, and most of the other assorted front suspension bushings.

I also clipped the upper radiator hose on the way to work one day, so that resulted in a warped head, blown head gasket, destroyed cylinder head and an assortment of other problems.

The car sat for almost a year until I traded it to a buddy with my Audi S4 for this:

a 400hp 500ft lb of tq Saab 900

I still own the Saab, but eventually the bug bit me and I bough the e30 back in cash, something I don't do regularly.

The car now has a complete SETA motor that is unfortunately not picture documented. I will post more pictures of the car how it sits soon. Hopefully, after I get off my ass and put the GC coils on.

Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by ZenkiOwns; 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM.

congrats on the priorities, and nice start!! :up:
    what fender markers are those if you don't mind me asking?
    Transaction Feedback: -click here
    [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
    [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

you have your priorities in the right order....according to what you posted here ;-)

what kind of lip is that on the back of the e30? I say lip because it's not big enough to be a spoiler!!
      '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Kids like e30s!

I may have to swap out my spoiler for one of those lips. More pix!

COTM

Comment

My wifes reminds me about that car constantly. It was the first car we bought together.

The turn signals were euro turn, and I never could find were that spoiler came from.
          _________

Rep Savannah Crew

Comment

Saab, rip.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Like Patrick said the markers are euro trim, and the best I can tell the spoiler is an E46 M3 spoiler.

I will have more updates tonight. The starter motor has been a problem since day one, and yesterday it left me stranded at my local ghetto ass LKQ. A nice intoxicated chap supplied a pickle fork to tap the starter and it finally turned over. He then proceeded to tell me I owed him a beer! I'm not risking getting stuck with a baby in the car, let alone a pissed off girlfriend. I'm on the way out the door to go get the starter motor AND I had a nice box with some aftermarket goodies waiting on me when I got home.

Here is the professionally wrapped package. The hole at the top was added for ventilation I'm sure.

Now to the store!

Comment

Oh Hi.

You're the guy who bought Moosepuck's old car. Still trying to sell it?
                '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Yes I am! It's on this forum for sale!

Comment

what the funk is that wing/ rear lip?~?~?~?

Comment

Okay, so it turns out I can save $50 by ordering online and waiting 3 days. I stacked like 5 coupons I found online and ended up getting the core charge, tax and some of the price of the starter deducted. Thank you Google.

As for the mystery part, I'll go ahead and post it now instead of waiting on the starter to come in.

TADA!

When the new motor was put in the exhaust manifold was cut and not completely repaired. I was about to order one from China; aka Ebay, but then I say the same exact one on here for $75 less and he included shipping. SCORE.

The next thing on my list is a set of wheels. I'm thinking about TRMotorsports in 15x8 because I'm cheap,but I REALLY want to find something nicer. I'm new to the "wheel game" so I'm unsure what is considered Honda or FWD fitment and what is made for our cars.

I've looked at a million fitment charts, but I guess I'm an idiot because it all looks like jibberish to me. I want to go for a stanced car, as I love how these cars look when they're slammed down on the tires and their nuts in the dirt.

I also did a slight edit to the first post to fill some storyline getting her home.

Comment

So basically your e30 is more fun to drive/own than a 500tq saab vert?
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

wow so much info in this thread, i don't even know where to begin.. hehe, congrats, and good luck in the future... nice cars too
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                            So basically your e30 is more fun to drive/own than a 500tq saab vert?
                            HAHAHA.

The Saab is an absolute blast to drive. I have embarrassed R/T Chargers, boosted Mustangs, countless Civics and 240's.

I must say that the most fun races are the American cars like Corvettes, Mustangs, etc.

It seems those guys never want to make eye contact after being beaten by a girl's car.

I just wish it would sell/trade faster as that's the only thing that is stopping me from moving to Florida as planned. It's E85 and there are not any local stations close to where I am moving.

I didn't realize people would want more pictures of a basically stock e30, but I will go take some tomorrow!

Comment

So it won't run on e87 gas?
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X