Clear All

The harness youre using is OBD1 E36?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
      i test fitted the shift carrier for the 6 speed that needs to be shortened and determined i needed to section out about 1" to line the shifter up in the hole in the tunnel. i did the cutting then had my friend brad (edutechnic) weld it up since i don't have the skills or equipment to weld aluminum yet.
      I'm a little curious on a build of this level why you did not just go to a body mounted shifter like UUC / BW or the even better elevated tower shifters like CAE / Samsonas?

They are so much more machine like than the carrier mounted shifters.

Just a question, not a dig on the build. Build looks pretty cool so far.
      Jimmy P.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
      98 318Ti Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        The harness youre using is OBD1 E36?
        Yessir. Plan is if I go turbo in the next year or two I will use a Vipec or similar stand alone that is near plug n play on the OBD1 harness

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
        I'm a little curious on a build of this level why you did not just go to a body mounted shifter like UUC / BW or the even better elevated tower shifters like CAE / Samsonas?

They are so much more machine like than the carrier mounted shifters.

Just a question, not a dig on the build. Build looks pretty cool so far.
        I would have liked to do this and may still someday, but budget was a major constraint. I got the engine, trans, and a few other swap components through a trade deal with a friend so this swap (and everything else I had to buy myself to finish it) was never really planned for or budgeted so I've been doing what I can without spending more than I should to finish it up right. I was always very happy with my fully rebuilt shifter I had on my previous trans setup with a DSSR and Z4 2.5 lever, so I'm hoping this trans will feel just as crisp as the last one did. All in all I will be like $150 and some fab time in this shifter vs $470+ the cost of a dssr for the IRP shifter that I would like to have.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

I loved the PMC shifter on the Aluminum Monster.

This go-round Im trying to keep it as silky smooth as I can get the OEM feel.

The solid stuff is definitely for the "fun" car and less for the daily car IMO
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I loved the PMC shifter on the Aluminum Monster.

This go-round Im trying to keep it as silky smooth as I can get the OEM feel.

The solid stuff is definitely for the "fun" car and less for the daily car IMO
            Yeah I mean I'm already running ltw flywheel, solid engine and trans mounts, all solid suspension bushings, and fairly stiff GCs so it's not going to be very daily driver friendly when I'm done anyway. But yeah I was really happy with my old OEM+ setup so if this can at least match that in crispness and slop I'll be happy for a while.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012

Comment

Awesome build! I missed it along the way, but what trans are you using?
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                Awesome build! I missed it along the way, but what trans are you using?
                Thank you!

The trans is a ZF gs6-37bz from an e46 330i

Comment

also, anyone reading this who has done a 24v swap, how did you mount your diagnostic port and engine harness relays? i tried to find mounting brackets on realoem but couldn't find anything. i sold my m20 relay bracket with the engine so i no longer have that and i'd like to mount them somewhere on the passenger side near the firewall. maybe i'll have to hit the junkyard this weekend and see if i can find brackets of some sort.
                  Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                  Didn't browse your thread, if your using m3 covers, has provisions for the relays to sit there, if not, try the fuse box where the auxiliary fuse box is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Diag port in original location works fine.
                  All my relays are also in the stock location. Shouldnt have got rid of that part...

RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                    Diag port in original location works fine.
                    All my relays are also in the stock location. Shouldnt have got rid of that part...

yours all appears to be different due to RHD and other factors. the original location for the diag port on my car was at the front d/s of the engine near the AFM. your relays are in a different spot than mine were from factory too.

Comment

Thank you!

The trans is a ZF gs6-37bz from an e46 330i
                      Very nice! I'll need to look into that trans. Im sure it's alot cheaper than the G420 from the E46 M3?
                      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                        Very nice! I'll need to look into that trans. Im sure it's alot cheaper than the G420 from the E46 M3?
                        i'm not sure actually, i didn't buy it. basically i traded my WRX to a friend for cash + the m50, 6 speed, UUC clutch and some other swap parts. i think the transmissions go for like 500-1000 depending on where you get it unless you got lucky and found one at a cheap junkyard.

i do know that most people consider this trans to be superior to the getrag in the e46 m3. the input shaft has more splines (can't remember how many) and it also has a dual front mount for the shift carrier so it has less slop even with standard rubber bushings. i've also heard this trans is smoother and more appealing to use but i can't say for sure as i havent driven an e46 m3 and 6spd 330i at the same time to compare. this ZF also came behind an s54 just like the getrag, but only in the z4 M.

here's a photo of all of my stuff ready for powder. reinforced subframe, custom trans mount, GC converted strut housings, and sway bar brackets. i'm trying to decide if i should go boring black or something cool like purple for these components. the general nature of the build is sort of subtle but i think on somewhat hidden parts like this a better "pop" color might be cool.

Comment

there is some nice fabrication going into this build. Are there 5 lug plans for the build?

Comment

Originally posted by MCreally? View Post
                            there is some nice fabrication going into this build. Are there 5 lug plans for the build?
                            Thanks! I tossed it around but it would involve too many compromises since I already have big brakes and suspension built around the 4 lug setup. Plus I don't mind the 4 lug wheel selection available, most people are unsatisfied but I'm fine with cheap rep wheels made for hondas and VWs until I can afford something really nice and/or custom in 4 lug someday

Comment

purple sounds cool. Did you have someone fix the strut housing local in SLC?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                purple sounds cool. Did you have someone fix the strut housing local in SLC?
                                i did them myself. i didn't shorten them though. if i would have needed to i probably would have found someone with a bandsaw i could use for that. i just chopped off the stock/shit spring perches with my peanut grinder and welded the gc perches on.

Comment

Working...
                                X