my m42 carnage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my m42 carnage...

URL=http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Pewaukee23/media/20140215_205131_zpsmy2t9g6u.jpg.html][/URL]

Idler gear snapped the F@*k off...the chain almost wore through the cover lol time for a new motor. Just figured i would share with you all.

That sucks bro!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

That will buff right out, don't worry about it. J/K sorry to see your pain and suffering.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Damn! Bummer man. I've got my old motor sitting on a stand. If you can find a cheap easy way to get it to Wisconsin you can have it for $100 + what ever shipping is. It's just the bottom end and head, most everything is sold off it.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

That sucks. Gives some good insight why the later M42 ditched that idler!!!
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

the 2nd one ive seen go to the grave like this. Makes me wonder if my perfectly rebuild engine with 800 miles on it is going to have this issue

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Remove the snap rings of the chain tensior before installing it.
              Likely this wont happen.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on a low ish mile complete m42 off craigslist...kinda worries me doing that but at this point its really my only option. Let's just hope it runs :) I got the old engine out last night. Waiting on a couple parts before throwing the "new" one back in. If anyone wants the engine less the timing stuff and intake manifold let me know. CHEAP!

Comment

Originally posted by M3s14 View Post
                  Remove the snap rings of the chain tensior before installing it.
                  Likely this wont happen.
                  I very highly doubt that is the problem.
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Mine died the same way. I HIGHLY recommend swapping in a late model M42 timing case since those used a guide rail instead of that stupid sprocket. It should bolt right on to your replacement engine.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Mine died the same way. I HIGHLY recommend swapping in a late model M42 timing case since those used a guide rail instead of that stupid sprocket. It should bolt right on to your replacement engine.
                      I dont have time for that since its my only car and I need to be mobile like now :/

Comment

The sprocket is not the problem.
                        The bearings of the sprocket last like 500.000 kilometers.
                        If you put an M42 apart that has like 250.000 kilometers on the clock, the sprocket is still fine.
                        The sprocket itself is just the weakest point in the whole, but it does not just crack out of the timing case because its the weakest.
                        It brakes because of to high chain tension.
                        Last edited by M3s14; 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Ouch!

Comment

Sorry to see this. I'm in Racine and have some miscellaneous M42 parts lying around if you find yourself needing something.

How can I ensure this doesn't happen to my M42?

Are there any symptoms to observe for?

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Working...
                            X