Specs.

m52b28 obdI
    zf310 transmission
    e36 m3 clutch
    e36 m3 six bolt driveshaft
    3.25 Lsd
    e36 steering rack
    AKG poly CABs, motor mounts, e21 transmission mounts with aluminum cups
    condor speed shop poly RTABs and subframe risers, with diff spacers and diff mount
    AKG dssr style selector rod with stock shifter
    Ground Control coilovers, unshortened housings, koni in front bilstein rear
    15x7 IX weaves with 15mm spacers all around and motorsport hardware stud conversion

with much anticipation i bring to you an update after lurking here all winter. whether its a good or bad update is up to R3v to decide.

after purchasing my current e30 right before a brutal winter, my car was in storage for far too long. I was finally able to get it out and start getting things done. i was able to save a couple grand and most of it has gone toward my car and tools. a lot of parts i was able to source from members here, thanks guys

started out small getting the engine management correct,

so i installed my favorite "mod" to date, a tuned chip from sssquid

IMG_0210 (800x598) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

then the correct 21.5# injectors

IMG_0213 (800x598) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

my boss let me use the old hoist in the upstairs of our garage so i took advantage of that and got it up in the air.

IMG_0222 (598x800) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

heres how she sat as i was preparing to drive it home

IMG_0233 (800x598) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

once finally in my own, very small garage i got it on jack stands and got all wheels off.

started dropping the subframe and front suspension.

i didnt have time to document everything because greasy hands. but most of the highlights i did get.

in the mix of things i took both rear axles out and and cleaned and replaced all 4 CV boots and packed in new grease.

finally got the rear subframe down installed AKG Rtabs and some used Condor speed shop subframe riser bushings i got from a member here.

DSCN0104 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

not so lucky for me both sides of the original subframe bushings broke off inside the car

photo 1 (598x800) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

lucky for me i was able to get them out fairly easily by drilling a small hole and tapping it with a hammer and chisel

DSCN0115 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and out it came

DSCN0119 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

then with much needed help from a friend we got the subframe back up.

we decided to use my wheels as a ledge to rest it on and used a jack to wiggle it in place

DSCN0135 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and up she goes

DSCN0137 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

next i started working on the front end of the car by getting the old struts out and replacing them with some GC ready housing i bought from a member here, along with all new brakes and hardware.

DSCN0122 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

i originally intended to use the newer hubs and studs,
    but the drivers bearing was seized on the knuckle. So i had to get angry at it in order to get it off, so i could swap the backing plates.

DSCN0122 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

so on with the old ones it is and new brakes

installed

DSCN0132 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

DSCN0131 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and that pretty much brings me up to date for today

more tomorrow and the never ending project continues.

thanks for looking.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

opie, it's 'good from far, but far from good.'
    hey, at least you tried!

Comment

its been a long week and i am an idiot.

Comment

finally got it done for mow, back on all fours and hopefully on the road this week.

got the rear brakes done

DSCN0139 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

made some trailing arm tethers so my rear spring doesnt fall out when the car is jacked up. got the idea from this thread here

i made them just long enough so when the suspension is at full droop the spring is loose but just enough so it wont fall out.

DSCN0142 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

got back to laying on the wonderful ground to install the 3.73 lsd i bought from agent. and i dont have a single complaint about the ratio (yet) since there are no freeways here and this isn't really a DD.

DSCN0141 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and then i took it for a long awaited joy ride and forgot my camera so i shot some cell phone photos.

photo 4 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

photo 5 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

photo 3 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

there is still a ton planned but nothing pressing.

-some exterior trim that i cant seem to find anywhere

-interior kick panels are missing and door panels have speaker holes cut into them

-my kidney grilles are currently black which i dont like so im going to see what i can do with paint stripper, if not ill but chrome ones.

and for the lol's since my car didnt come with a shift knob i am using a piece of bmx handlebar with a grip and bar end, its tall but i like how it takes the notchiness out of a short shift.

i used the protective cap that came from my koni's as a spacer that fit perfect to use as a friction style mount. it was very snug pressing it onto the shift lever and isnt coming off without any force.

photo (587x800) by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

Comment

no interest it seems in my little build, but im going to update this anyway.

finished up with the little maintenance i needed to do for the summer

started by stripping all of the horrible body filler from the roof of the car, it was very thick and covered the entire roof, over the sunroof. i guess the p.o wanted a slicktop. eventually im going to have to cut it out and properly fix it. but for now to get it driving i stripped it down to bare metal, primed and painted it.

DSCN0162 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

DSCN0166 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

again i didnt take to many pictures because i get caught up in the work and dont think about grabbing the camera.

photo 1 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

here you can see it looks a million times better than a 1/4" of cracked bondo.

then i installed an e36 radiator, new belt and aluminum thermostat housing, 80c thermostat and some new coolant hoses.

photo 2 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

DSCN0179 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and finally i installed the fog light deletes and brake ducts

DSCN0181 by alec.ruonavaara, on Flickr

and that was it for today. more to come.

Comment

Nice project man :)
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

thanks

forgot to mention the kidneys were black. paint stripper made them nice and chrome again :):)

Comment

Wiper arms look clean. Respray?

Oh, and nice engine.

Comment

previous owner resprayed it, his first time doing it himself so ill give him slack. looks good from a distance, but there are runs in a few spots. hence the title.

and thanks.

Comment

Not sure how I missed this before - looks like you're doing good work Alec!
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

My god, how could someone prefer a roof drenched in bondo over a sunroof? Just seems like such a step backwards to me. Nice work though, looks like the car is in good hands

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

this looks nice. good work on that roof, looks like it was a shit show.

the simplicity of your brake and suspension setup is nice too

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

thanks guys!

im still trying to comprehend what he was thinking. now the whole roof is a mess.
                          future plans for the roof are to cut out the sunroof completely and either

-weld a new piece in place, or
                          -find some kind of delete plate to put in place of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbag30 View Post
                            thanks guys!

im still trying to comprehend what he was thinking. now the whole roof is a mess.
                            future plans for the roof are to cut out the sunroof completely and either

-weld a new piece in place, or
                            -find some kind of delete plate to put in place of it.

yeah i'm in the same boat. nobody makes good fiberglass filler panel that doesn't cost $400 and your first born. and welding is sketchy cause the heat will warp the roof VERY quickly. i'm thinking i might just panel bond a sheet of ABS to the underside of the roof then use a VERY SMALL layer of filler to smooth the hole. still on the fence about the whole situation though

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                            IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                              yeah i'm in the same boat. nobody makes good fiberglass filler panel that doesn't cost $400 and your first born. and welding is sketchy cause the heat will warp the roof VERY quickly. i'm thinking i might just panel bond a sheet of ABS to the underside of the roof then use a VERY SMALL layer of filler to smooth the hole. still on the fence about the whole situation though
                              yeah that would work. but i would still rather have the panel.
                              bimmerworld sells one but i'm hesitant because of the price. i might just have to buck up and buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X