No announcement yet.

Hokejka e30 m50 turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnighted a clutchmasters fx300 from VAC - was here at 7:30 am. Excellent shipping and excellent customer service at VAC.

A/C coil out, another little weight savings.

Oil Bung welded on

Long story short I figured I would do all the gaskets and seals on the tranny while it was out. Not sure why but I was advised the rear housing seal was leaking and at the time it made sense. Decided to pull the tranny apart. If you don't have to do this please don't. It is a press fitted transmission and a huge pain to take apart. I make shifted a tool to push the bearing through to take it apart but at a certain point I felt uncomfortable so I took it to a shop to be taken part and reassembled with the new gaskets and seals. Also turns out the rear housing seal was not leaking but at least everything will be fresh and checked out from the inside. Looking forward to getting the tranny back in the morning to start putting everything back in the car.

Injectors in. 30lb. remanufactures and flow tested. Like new. Took the intake off and replaced the O-ring seals just in case.

Took the old clutch off. Cleaned everything. Cleaned the flywheel, took some steel wool and made it extra smooth. Replaced rear main seal. New clutch installed. Locktite on everything.

Comment

Still waiting on the transmission. My dads buddy took it into his hands. None of this was supposed to happen so I am way over time I had to go back to North Florida for work and soon school. As soon as tranny is ready I will come down for a couple days to put the car back together.

Comment

Still waiting... In the meantime Im looking for some exterior parts. Anyone have an idea where I can get some zender skirts? I guess there are 2 types and I want the flat ones but I can only find the ones with the wheel arches online...

I want this !

Comment

Ive been nonstop buys everyday with school and work so I haven't had any time to post. I couldn't figure out how to get the tranny back together and since Im low on time and want to start driving this thing I just ordered another getrag. I will put the other tranny together during the holidays.

Car is 500 miles away from me so its waiting on whenever I come down. I got to come down for a weekend. Transmission arrived the day I came so timing was perfect.
          Got the tranny on the engine. Popped the engine back in the car. Sanded the manifold for a perfect fit, bolted the manifold on and test fit the turbo. While Im gone I'm working on getting the downpipes and exhaust done and euro oil filter housing machined.

Turns out the banjo bolt opening on the euro housing is much smaller than the US and since Im running my oil feed from the band bolt I need to fit my regular US sized banjo/oil feed bolt in the opening. Will get it machined and threaded correctly.

Comment

Ordered and got in some 15mm wheel spacers, IS front lip, 2.93 diff, nardi suede wheel, and a 7.2 psi waste gate spring. A little scared to run the 8.7 as I don't want any more most past 8 psi. Anyone run similar boost? what should I expect from the 7.2 spring spike wise?

Comment

I got another chance to head south this weekend. I had sat and sunday to work on car but exhaust was not done till 6 on saturday so I had just even less time than I thought.

Put the right output flange on the tranny, started bolting up driveshaft but it seems as if the shaft shrank over the past couple weeks. Im missing a solid 3/4". I don;t know if Im going crazy but I don't think there was a spacer when I took the shaft out. The shaft could have been tapped in a bit as the car was begin dragged in and out of the shop so many times while I was gone but idk how it could have moved almost an inch. I tried loosening the nut by the middle bearing and got 1/4 inch stretch but it won't budge anymore. Any advice would really be appreciated.

The down pipe and exhaust came out perfect. 3" all the way back. All stainless, Tig welded, mandrel bent, integrated waste gate. The tip will be put on last.

The euro oil filter housing was machined and threaded to fit the us spec banjo bolt that Im using for turbo oil feed.

I started bolting a bunch of stuff on. Radiator cover had to be cut for oil cooler lines. Fenders cut. Spacers put on. Rims on.

I am having an issue with the front wheels hitting the wheel well about half turn in. I am running offset control arm bushings. Is there a chance that that little offset in the bushings will make the caster that positive that my rims hit? Ive searched plenty of people running a rim/tire setup like this and even bigger and have no problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Besides that I am a little confused on where all the lines dangling under the manifold get hooked up, mainly the vacuum lines and how I'm going to route them with another 2 lines I need for waste gate and BOV. I will try and plan that out, also any input would be awesome.

Comment

Ok so I ordered centered m3 bushings, hopefully that'll fix the problem with the wheel. Any insight on the driveshaft?

Comment

Damn, what a cool photo. Life goals.
                  1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                  BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
                    Damn, what a cool photo. Life goals.
                    thanks man

Comment

Well done. Im giving some serious thought to boosting my m50, will be keeping a close eye on this thread. subbed
                      sigpic

-1991 m50/s50 318i :up:
                      -1989 325ix (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by VintageBimmer View Post
                        Well done. Im giving some serious thought to boosting my m50, will be keeping a close eye on this thread. subbed
                        thanks man. Still needs some work but next time I have a free weekend and can head down to s. Fl this thing should be running.

On another note. I ordered centered 1999 m3 control arm bushings to fix the problem with the front wheels hitting. Also ordered hub rings to keep the wheels 100% hub centric. Still trying to figure out why my driveshaft is too short...posted in another section. hopefully will have all that sorted soon.

Comment

Originally posted by hokejka View Post
                          thanks man. Still needs some work but next time I have a free weekend and can head down to s. Fl this thing should be running.
                          When its running we need a good burnout vid lol
                          sigpic

-1991 m50/s50 318i :up:
                          -1989 325ix (sold)

Comment

nothing like roasting a brand new set of tires ;)

Comment

Good stuff man. I must of missed it, but what're you doing for flares?
                              That's also a pretty aggressive curve on the wastegate dump. Remember, less boost means more exhaust will be bleeding through the gate rather than passing through the turbine.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                                Good stuff man. I must of missed it, but what're you doing for flares?
                                That's also a pretty aggressive curve on the wastegate dump. Remember, less boost means more exhaust will be bleeding through the gate rather than passing through the turbine.
                                I have Kameron's flares waiting to be put on. I know its a bit of an aggressive angle theres just not a lot of space to integrate the dump. The exhaust is straight, no restrictions so it won't be backed up at all besides the angle. I want to run the 8 psi for a couple months but it will be turned up to around 15 when I can collect some more cash and retune.

Comment

Working...
                                X