No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything seems to be lining up well. Just gotta weld it together now. I even checked out how it fits with the vbands to weld together.

Comment

I've had issues with vbands warping when welded, so now I clamp them together in the orientation they'll be on the car and they seem to warp a little less and at least warp together so they still seal. I think your flanges are thicker than mine, so maybe that'll help too.

I also learned the hard way to cover the clamp threads when welding this way - I stripped one of the t-bolts because the nut carried some slag up the thread.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I've had issues with vbands warping when welded, so now I clamp them together in the orientation they'll be on the car and they seem to warp a little less and at least warp together so they still seal. I think your flanges are thicker than mine, so maybe that'll help too. I also learned the hard way to cover the clamp threads when welding this way - I stripped one of the t-bolts because the nut carried some slag up the thread.
        Thanks for the advice! I have heard a lot about the warping and I am nervous about it. I've also heard to wrap the v section of the flange to avoid spatter getting on it.

Comment

Yeah the spatter is what eventually screwed up the threads. I just wrap the clamp in a layer or two of masking tape.
          There's probably a better way to cover it, but I don't have any anti-spatter spray.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            Yeah the spatter is what eventually screwed up the threads. I just wrap the clamp in a layer or two of masking tape.
            There's probably a better way to cover it, but I don't have any anti-spatter spray.
            i think using the clamp while welding is an awesome idea. I am def doing that.

Comment

Old vs new. Worth it.

Comment

Mmmm. New shiny parts.

I am loving the updates. The exhaust is going to be awesome. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  Mmmm. New shiny parts.

I am loving the updates. The exhaust is going to be awesome. Keep it up!
                  x2 What a wonderful feeling to throw that rusty POS in the trash and replace it with something shiny... even if its under the car
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Speaking of under the car. Progress is being made slowly. I only need to weld in the flanges and o2 sensor and it's done and off to ceramic coating. I realized I have to wait till it's all assembled before I could send it off.

Comment

Is that the summit 2 x 2.25" to 3" y-pipe? How do you like it?

Also are you using an expander? I tried one from HF but it was absolute trash.
                      2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                        Is that the summit 2 x 2.25" to 3" y-pipe? How do you like it?

Also are you using an expander? I tried one from HF but it was absolute trash.
                        haha! that's exactly what it is! you know your y-pipes.

I won't be using an expander. the fit is very tight on each connection, so i feel OK without it. The y collector, i bought some exhaust clamps to keep them connected on the long tube headers. I am unsure how successful it's going to be and if it doesn't work i guess i might just do vbands there as well... hoping that's not the case. all the other slip on connections have been welded together.

Comment

I GOT IT STARTED!! sounds mean! Below is a picture of the final exhaust assembled. A picture of the headers after burning off a little (kind of cool color) and then finally my best weld yet with the Flux welder. LoL! Now I can officially send them off to ceramic coating and get the fenders on this car fixed up.

Comment

Happy Quarantine. I've been getting some things done on the car. On the 14th of April I will get the exhaust parts over to the ceramic coater. They are working on limited capacity with the pandemic, so basically you schedule the drop off and that's my date. I should get them back on the 20th. In the meantime I've had to figure out the location of the oil filter. It just won't do in the stock location with these headers and tbh it's a dumb spot to begin with so I'm happy to have another reason. The lines are 10an, but those haven't arrived yet. Location idea is on the frame rail. Any advice how to properly attach the bracket to the frame without a rivnut?

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention the brake lines. I swapped the front for Chase Bays lines and the driver's side was a PITA so I ended up mangling the shit outta the flare nut on the hard line. In the picture you'll see the rust that had accumulated that caused the struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                Everything seems to be lining up well. Just gotta weld it together now. I even checked out how it fits with the vbands to weld together.
                                Is this some universal clamp to be welded?
                                can you tell me where you bought it ?

nice work !

Comment

Working...
                                X