Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B5 S4, operation money pit. Forever evolving, never ending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are going to start getting interesting now.

Parts list, ordered:

-Piston rings
    -Rod bearings
    -Head gaskets
    -Manifold gaskets
    -water pump gasket
    -head bolts (no need for studs, stock hold)
    -034 Trans mounts
    -Apikol diff mount
    -Trans rebuild kit
    -inner cv boot (one is torn)
    -crank seal
    -rear main seal

Need to order:
    -Timing belt
    -Clutch disk

Since I just did a timing belt and top end reseal 10k ago, I'm going to reuse what I can.

Getting excited. I've got some vacation time I have to use, so I looks like I'll have 3 day weekends all of December. Should give me some time to work on it.

As for Single, I think I'm still going to go that route.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Side note, the DD got some love.

It rubs on the roll bar though, gotta see what I can do.

No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Got all the kids together for a motivational family photo. Need a few odds and ends though.

Rings should be here any day, still need intake manifold gaskets (completely forgot about that detail lol). Then I'll pick up a ball hone and be ready to assemble the new engine.

Didn't see any obvious signs of damage on the old engine when I pulled the heads. Heads look to be in excellent shape, not even going to pull the cams out.

After the new engine is together, I'll move on to the trans, then I've got a bit of cleaning to do before even building the single turbo setup.

No E30 Club

Comment

that hardtop on that miata is hot. Almost makes me want one.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

You can buy mine! Been thinking about selling it for S4 funds. Only has 40k on it.
            No E30 Club

Comment

Spent some time on the shop. Snagged a wood stove for $100 to take advantage of the flue a previous owner kindly installed (didn't leave the stove though).

Did some cleaning, organizing, and finally hung the S4 flag I've been sitting on for a year now.

Feels pretty good, still a lot of things I want to do but it's coming along nicely. I gotta light the stove as soon as I get home, and the garage is comfortable for me to work in after the kids go to bed. Haven't had a chance to really get it cranking yet.

I really need to find a tool box, I've got tools still in boxes or thrown in bags because I don't have enough storage for them. Gets frustrating.
              No E30 Club

Comment

Harbor freight boxes? Or find some on Craigslist for cheap. I really wish i had that kind of garage space at home. Driving 20 min to go work on my car gets old.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Man I haven't touched this thing in almost a month....

I'm off until the 3rd, maybe I can get the motivation to do a little werk.
                  No E30 Club

Comment

^ Same here. My car hasn't even been looked at, except to break into the trunk to extract the dead battery. I don't feel so bad about it now haha
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

That's how it went for me. Random spurts of lots of work getting done and then nothing for 2-3 months. I think the excitement of new parts being ordered and delivered kept my fire alive, but as soon as funds diminished and cool stuff wasn't rolling in I lost the intense excitement that keeps me up into the wee hours of the night.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

After a long wait, my $20 set of rings came in!

Time to put together an engine!!!

No E30 Club

Comment

Good luck with the build, man!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Progress!

I need to get a good bore mic. Have a noticeable ridge at the top of the cylinders on the new block. I really want to use this block though as it's a little stronger than the one that came out.

Fingers crossed that everything checks out after being honed. I'm actually considering punching it out to a 2.8 now.....
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Honed the cylinders today, waiting on my bore mic to be delivered and I'll know exactly where I stand. I honed it and got the ridge almost completely gone, depending on the measurements I might go a little further. Time will tell.

At this point though, I need to borrow a friend's ring grinder. Checked one cylinder and need to grind it 2 thousandths.

Oh well, taking my time and doing this right!

Also, I might be going back on the single aspect. I'm shooting for 600whp, there's a twin option out there that offers that number without breaking the bank. I just don't have much time to work on this car, let alone build a entirely new turbo setup. I would like to drive it come spring.

So, looking at SRM K24 turbos at the moment, still going to have a nitrous setup for "kill mode". The only goal that really matters is I would like to trap 135mph in the 1/4.
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Little update:. The k24 turbos I mentioned above have finally been released in a ball bearing variant. From what I understand they use a Garrett bearing setup and are comparable in size to gt28's.

Still early, but they are saying these are capable of 50hp more than the JB variant. If that's the case, then these are capable of about 650 at the wheels on e85..... :devil:
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X