Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B5 S4, operation money pit. Forever evolving, never ending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn you. Every time I get set on getting an E30 again, I pop into this thread to see what's up and now I can't decide again.

Can't wait to see the car finished. If I'm ever up that way you'll have to take me for a spin, assuming you ever finish it B)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
    Originally posted by Northern
    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Definitely, all for sharing the fun!

It will get finished! I've gotten through my motivation rut that is inevitable in something like this.

Clutch disc and turbo install kit are on their way. Bolted on the manifolds last night, should have the turbos on and the engine 100% ready by the weekend.

Then once the clutch comes in, it's go time!
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Why did i think you were doing a single turbo?

Great progress as well. That Aprikol mount is a piece of art.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          Why did i think you were doing a single turbo?

Great progress as well. That Aprikol mount is a piece of art.

Because he was. XD

Really excited to see it finished.

how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

I was, but the more I looked the less convinced I became that it was the way to go.

We are seeing K04 Frame cars on stock blocks running very low 11's @ around 125 mph.

Meanwhile I've seen a few single turbo cars putting down big numbers on the dyno, but yet struggling match the trap speeds of their k04 counterparts.

Most single turbo kits right now use stock 2.8 manifolds, and I'm just about convinced that they are a huge hold back, unlike the manifolds on lsx engines. I'm a certified welder, and was ready to build my own up-pipe, but I'm also honest with myself. I lack the skills at this point to confidently build myself a manifold, to be installed on a car that requires the engine be removed in order to get to said manifold. So, that leaves me with 2.8 manifolds, which I don't have faith in.

One guy hit 10's at 130+ a few years ago on a 5858, but he had custom tube manifolds.

So, with the fast k04 cars and not so fast STK cars (still fast though, I've seen one put a couple cars on a GSXR 750), I started leaning back towards the original intended layout.

Then SRM announced the ball bearing k24 turbos, which are Garret gt28rs centers stuffed into RS6 housings.

Figured it should be a solid option with a proven turbo. I'm not looking to break records, and I'm not one of those guys that has to be the fastest in the crowd. Going for about 600whp, which seems to be a number that, on these cars, can still be relatively reliable and not break things every time you take it out.
            Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 06-08-2017, 07:01 PM.
            No E30 Club
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              I was, but the more I looked the less convinced I became that it was the way to go.

We are seeing K04 Frame cars on stock blocks running very low 11's @ around 125 mph.

Meanwhile I've seen a few single turbo cars putting down big numbers on the dyno, but yet struggling match the trap speeds of their k04 counterparts.

Most single turbo kits right now use stock 2.8 manifolds, and I'm just about convinced that they are a huge hold back, unlike the manifolds on lsx engines. I'm a certified welder, and was ready to build my own up-pipe, but I'm also honest with myself. I lack the skills at this point to confidently build myself a manifold, to be installed on a car that requires the engine be removed in order to get to said manifold. So, that leaves me with 2.8 manifolds, which I don't have faith in.

One guy hit 10's at 130+ a few years ago on a 5858, but he had custom tube manifolds.

So, with the fast k04 cars and not so fast STK cars (still fast though, I've seen one put a couple cars on a GSXR 750), I started leaning back towards the original intended layout.

Then SRM announced the ball bearing k24 turbos, which are Garret gt28rs centers stuffed into RS6 housings.

Figured it should be a solid option with a proven turbo. I'm not looking to break records, and I'm not one of those guys that has to be the fastest in the crowd. Going for about 600whp, which seems to be a number that, on these cars, can still be relatively reliable and not break things every time you take it out.
              Couldn't agree more, across multiple platforms. When I was heavily involved in the Evo community all of my friends used big turbo setups (6262, 6466, 3794, etc), but drove the cars on pump gas 100% of the time and made 500whp with a 1000rpm powerband. No one had the fuel system to make 700whp on E85 even if their turbo setup "could".

So I built a stroker block with a taller deck height and almost half a liter more displacement and used a tiny 20g style stock center section turbo on pump gas and made 500whp AND had a 4500rpm powerband.

Before that I had a 35r on a built 2L in the same car and the car made 50whp less and had 1500rpm less powerband, running almost the same boost.

Modified stock style turbos FTW.
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Turbos are on! Had to do a little work getting the drivers side to fit. They are tight, that's for sure.

Sorry for potato photos, I broke my phone last night while working and my camera battery was dead.

Still have to do some tweaking on one of the factory coolant lines, and find some m8x1.25-15mm bolts for the oil return. Regardless, connecting the lines on these is much more user friendly than the factory setup. Also need to get creative to give the lines as much clearance from the manifold as possible. Luckily, these manifolds are double walled so it's not near as bad as if they were standard pipe.

Intercooler and clutch will hopefully show up soon! I'm ready to drive this thing again.
                No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  Couldn't agree more, across multiple platforms. When I was heavily involved in the Evo community all of my friends used big turbo setups (6262, 6466, 3794, etc), but drove the cars on pump gas 100% of the time and made 500whp with a 1000rpm powerband. No one had the fuel system to make 700whp on E85 even if their turbo setup "could".

So I built a stroker block with a taller deck height and almost half a liter more displacement and used a tiny 20g style stock center section turbo on pump gas and made 500whp AND had a 4500rpm powerband.

Before that I had a 35r on a built 2L in the same car and the car made 50whp less and had 1500rpm less powerband, running almost the same boost.

Modified stock style turbos FTW.
                  I think the big flaw with single setups is that people always go way too big with the turbo. Either they don't know what they need, or they're "future-proofing". Then they end up running any of those singles listed above for a peaky 500whp build instead of a GT30R/BW S257/PT5858 that would give much more usable power.

Upgraded stock setups have a ton of their own advantages though, so I'm not looking to try to fight a losing battle lol
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    I think the big flaw with single setups is that people always go way too big with the turbo. Either they don't know what they need, or they're "future-proofing". Then they end up running any of those singles listed above for a peaky 500whp build instead of a GT30R/BW S257/PT5858 that would give much more usable power.

Upgraded stock setups have a ton of their own advantages though, so I'm not looking to try to fight a losing battle lol

+1

Small turbos need their love too. Twin TiAL 770s would be pretty fun tho..

Comment

Inlets are in, clutch and replacement friction disk for the flywheel are both ordered. Still waiting on the intercooler, but parts acquisition is done.

So close I can taste it. Hopefully within a couple weeks it will be running again.
                      No E30 Club

Comment

I had an '03 Audi Allroad with the 2.7t and a 6mt. Hated the air suspension, loved the car/motor/tranny. The maintenance was government spending worthy, but at 140k miles when I sold the car, it still drove better than a lot of new cars I've driven. I still like my previous e30 a bit more though.
                        90 325i DD/Track
                        03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                        It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

I do miss my E30. I wouldn't mind finding a clean 318 to daily, they are definitely great cars. Would love another 325i sedan like I had, but I don't think the mpg would make it worthwhile for my commute unfortunately.

Through all this, I forgot a major item! Air filtration!

Since I'm running a blow through maf, I wasn't sure how I'd tackle this. Installed the inlets tonight and took some very rough measurements (hard to be sure with the engine out of the car), and some even more rough estimates of what CFM this engine will be pulling. The formula I used does not take into account turbo variations, only boost pressure, so I'm not sure how accurate it is...

Using a guide I found online, I'm looking at around 1230CFM if I ever crank it up to 36psi.

Then I realized how undersized the filters I thought I'd run would be.... The 3.5x4" filters I was looking at will only flow 660cfm (between the two of them).

Kept searching the k&n website. Ended up deciding on a set of 5.5x6" filters. Together they should flow 1243CFM. Now, the 1230 I calculated would be an absolute kill mode, so I should hopefully have some head room there.

Also makes me realize I had too small of a filter on there before. According to the formula I found, my old setup was pulling around 960CFM, while the filter I was running is only flowing around 500cfm.

No wonder guys running big numbers don't even bother with a filter, just ends up being a restriction.

With this new info, I'm kind of glad I went with a blow through and individual inlets for each turbo. Learned a bit tonight.

Kicker, is I punched in the P/N for the filters I settled on, which are a $55 filter, and found them on Amazon for $16 each with free shipping!

Hopefully it wasn't a price error, and they are just clearing stock. Everyone else had it listed $50+. Fingers crossed they actually ship.

Anywho, here's some photos of where I stand now, and a rough idea how I'm thinking of mounting the air filters. I will have to wait until the filters come in but I think it I cut them around where my fingers are, I can make this work and have the filters sit right above the valve covers without hitting the hood.

Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 06-17-2017, 02:14 PM.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

I fucking hate Photobucket.
                            Attached Files
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Splitting to make this to faster.
                              Attached Files
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Just going to let the car do the talking....

No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X